Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 151

Thread: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

  1. #91
    Just The Big Picture macro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The Bluegrass State
    Posts
    6,150

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I don't care about the HOF, they make their decision on Rose based on MLB and that's their problem (and Pete's)...
    Failure to understand that the HOF is in no way obligated to follow MLB's lead on this issue runs rampant. Last night on the 6:00pm news in Louisville, one of the news anchors followed up the sports report with a comment about Selig "letting Pete into the Hall..."

    Is anyone lobbying the HOF to change its rules back to the way they were before Pete was banned? I think they're the ones who should give in, not MLB.

    Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #92
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,298

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Failure to understand that the HOF is in no way obligated to follow MLB's lead on this issue runs rampant. Last night on the 6:00pm news in Louisville, one of the news anchors followed up the sports report with a comment about Selig "letting Pete into the Hall..."

    Is anyone lobbying the HOF to change its rules back to the way they were before Pete was banned? I think they're the ones who should give in, not MLB.
    Yep, the HOF is guilty of gerrymandering their rules, and I guess it's their right too. That said they are a museum, not a repository that hands out pardons for MLB level crimes. My take is if a player does something that is construed as a baseball crime then MLB should deal with it. If a player is barred from he HOF then it's that venue that has to deal with it.

  4. #93
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Is anyone lobbying the HOF to change its rules back to the way they were before Pete was banned? I think they're the ones who should give in, not MLB.
    Fay Vincent orchestrated the rule change to ensure Rose would be kept out. He wasn't willing to leave it up to the baseball writers (as had been done previously). Shoeless Joe was eligible to be put in the HOF until the rule change.

    Personally I think the HOF should change the rules back and I really don't care whether Pete gets in or not. I don't think he will at this point because over the years all he has done is hurt his case.

    The PED users will face the writers ... and thats the way it should be.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  5. #94
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    why do i care...

    sigh.

    Ok, following the logic that Rose never bet against the Reds, how often did he do the following:

    1. Bet huge on the Reds to win.
    2. Bet small on the Reds to win.
    3. Not bet on the Reds at all.


    A huge bet means Rose had more than the normal vested interest in winning. A huge bet followed by a small or no bet means he had no faith in his team winning. A huge bet might mean he pitches a reliever that needed the day off. He may have affected the outcomes of losses because he didn't properly manage his team for the season. It's possible a few of those 2nd place finishes could have been 1st place finishes with a manager more concerned about the season and less concerned with his bookie.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  6. #95
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He may have affected the outcomes of losses because he didn't properly manage his team for the season. It's possible a few of those 2nd place finishes could have been 1st place finishes with a manager more concerned about the season and less concerned with his bookie.
    and in the end we will never know if he managed the team differently because of a wager(or lack thereof) on a game. Did he let a starter go longer, use his closer on a 3rd or 4th day in a row, etc. And the real issue is that Pete created this uncertainty and the stench that comes with it.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  7. #96
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    and in the end we will never know if he managed the team differently because of a wager(or lack thereof) on a game. Did he let a starter go longer, use his closer on a 3rd or 4th day in a row, etc. And the real issue is that Pete created this uncertainty and the stench that comes with it.
    Exactly.

    The part of me that remembers Rose when I was a kid wants to see him in the game. The part of me that sees him now prefers he remain away from it.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  8. #97
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,284

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker bet on a game in which they were a part of in 1919. There was documented proof. Dutch Leonard went to commissioner Landis with the proof in hopes of having the two banned from the game. Landis called the players in and did an investigation, and concluded that what they did, while morally wrong, did not violate the rules of baseball. There was no rule back then forbidding players from betting on a game, only throwing a game or conspiring to throw a game, of which Landis could find no proof that Cobb or Speaker had done.
    1) The evidence against Cobb, Speaker and Wood is shaky, and an actual judgement on whether they actually bet on that game in question cannot be made given what is known.

    2) The Cobb/Speaker Affair was just as much a power struggle between Landis and Ban Johnson as it was about Cobb, Speaker or Wood. In the end, not only were Cobb and Speaker exonerated, but they were granted free agency during a time in which free agency did not exist.

    3) Cobb claimed to have had significant dirt on MLB at the time, including proof of ownership corruption, falsifying gate receipts, etc. that he threatened to use against MLB if they went after him and Speaker. Frankly, given what was going on during this era, it wouldn't surprise me if that were true. Cobb had significant wealth built up by that time (he was a savvy investor), and he had the financial backing to go after MLB if he truly wanted to. The owners and executives knew this.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  9. #98
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,584

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    1) The evidence against Cobb, Speaker and Wood is shaky, and an actual judgement on whether they actually bet on that game in question cannot be made given what is known.

    2) The Cobb/Speaker Affair was just as much a power struggle between Landis and Ban Johnson as it was about Cobb, Speaker or Wood. In the end, not only were Cobb and Speaker exonerated, but they were granted free agency during a time in which free agency did not exist.

    3) Cobb claimed to have had significant dirt on MLB at the time, including proof of ownership corruption, falsifying gate receipts, etc. that he threatened to use against MLB if they went after him and Speaker. Frankly, given what was going on during this era, it wouldn't surprise me if that were true. Cobb had significant wealth built up by that time (he was a savvy investor), and he had the financial backing to go after MLB if he truly wanted to. The owners and executives knew this.
    Interesting. Are there any books on this subject, or the corruption in the game during that era?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  10. #99
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Interesting. Are there any books on this subject, or the corruption in the game during that era?
    A lot of this is in the Cobb Biography.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  11. #100
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,594

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You're not the first one to look at it this way so I'll address it.

    The reason MLB doesn't differentiate between betting to win and betting to lose is because in a sense Pete is betting on his team to lose on days he's not placing a bet on them. For instance he may be inclined to use his closer for 2 or 3 innings in a game he has a lot of money riding or he may rest a few stars on the days he's not betting. Either way it messes with the integrity of the game. I agree that baseball does not differentiate between betting to win or betting to lose. And Pete knew the rule didn't differentiate. He knew betting on your team, even to win, meant a lifetime ban.
    I am well aware of the rationale behind it, but it does not make much sense from a practical standpoint.

    If he's not betting on games, he does not have motivation to alter the approach of his team. Why manage any less than his ability if it's not financially motivated? I have heard this reason many times and it does not really make much sense.

    Still, as I said, he got punished and he should have been punished. But it's been 20 years. Time to move on. And when I say that, understand I think he's ruined his chance to ever manage again. I do not think I'd grant that privilege. But allow him back in baseball in certain capacities and let him into the HOF.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  12. #101
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,298

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I am well aware of the rationale behind it, but it does not make much sense from a practical standpoint.

    If he's not betting on games, he does not have motivation to alter the approach of his team. Why manage any less than his ability if it's not financially motivated? I have heard this reason many times and it does not really make much sense.

    Still, as I said, he got punished and he should have been punished. But it's been 20 years. Time to move on. And when I say that, understand I think he's ruined his chance to ever manage again. I do not think I'd grant that privilege. But allow him back in baseball in certain capacities and let him into the HOF.
    Of course for 75% of those 20 years he denied that he did it and in all those years he made many folks who stood behind him look foolish.

    Maybe Pete should move on?

  13. #102
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,594

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Of course for 75% of those 20 years he denied that he did it and in all those years he made many folks who stood behind him look foolish.

    Maybe Pete should move on?
    Who cares if he denied it? He still served his punishment regardless of how up-front he is. It makes no difference to me if someone denies something or shows fake remorse. They're all the same to me.

    I was too young to watch Pete Rose play, so I can't say I have any loyalty to him or because of the team he played for. But I know I don't have some self-righteous stand against folks because they deny something. I really could not care less about that. I simply believe in second chances for most people. This is no different. He served his punishment, with or without the remorse. Time to give him his second chance.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  14. #103
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,298

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Who cares if he denied it? He still served his punishment regardless of how up-front he is. It makes no difference to me if someone denies something or shows fake remorse. They're all the same to me.

    I was too young to watch Pete Rose play, so I can't say I have any loyalty to him or because of the team he played for. But I know I don't have some self-righteous stand against folks because they deny something. I really could not care less about that. I simply believe in second chances for most people. This is no different. He served his punishment, with or without the remorse. Time to give him his second chance.
    I care, and if that makes me self rightous then so be it, in fact it's laughable that grenade even gets thrown at soemone wanting teh game to stay pure from gambling.

    The man had many chances to come clean, seond chances, third chances ect.. he evn wrote a book denying everything, he made cash off his denial.

    No way should he be involved in MLB, mostly because time doesn't equal punsihment, this wasn't a time out in the corner, he was banned from the game for breaking the 1st commandment. I don't care if he's Pete Rose or Wayne Comer, he knew the penalty, he's not an idiot.

  15. #104
    I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    This is really very easy for me (with an admitted Reds fan bias) The HOF is a museum honoring the great players, moments, teams in history (among other things) Pete Rose was a great player, was a part of historic moments, and on arguably the best team in the history of baseball. His accomplishments on the field in baseball warrant him being eligible to be honored at a baseball museum. Whether he is voted in or not is a different issue
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

  16. #105
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

    Pete is honored plenty in the museum. He's not in the HOF, but his presence is felt in that building.

    That's enough for me.
    Suck it up cupcake.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25