Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Pharmacists have been implicated in some situations where doctors have allegedly improperly prescribed medications such as Oxyocodone and Hyrdocodone.
    Implicated can mean a lot of things. Pharmacists cannot legally write any prescriptions so I don't understand your point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

I just don't get the connection.

I don't either. If you feel like Savafan does then fine; lobby for a lifetime ban for PED users but what does that have to do with Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Implicated can mean a lot of things. Pharmacists cannot legally write any prescriptions so I don't understand your point.
    I misread Brutus's post. I now see where he referred to pharmacists writing prescriptions. No, they can't do that. I have had some involvement (not as the accused ) in matters where there were allegations that pharmacists were plotting with physicians to illegally write and dispense controlled substances and I immediately thought of those cases. The pharmacists were accused of the supposed illegal dispensing.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

With the life Rose has led post-banishment, I see no trace of the "reconfiguring his life" that Giamatti referred to as a precursor to any form of reinstatement.

Like RFS said, I respect him as a player but not as a man. He never truly owned up to the massive error in judgement he made. If he was let back into the game, he'd still be just as prone to betting on MLB games as he was back in 1986. There is no way I'd let him close to any MLB playing field.

Having said that, I think he was a great player and a fierce competitor and worthy of consideration for the HoF. I think its BS that any player is *banned* from the HoF. If the BBWA writers choose not to vote someone in because they were gamblers, drug addicts, steroid users, racists, or kicked their dogs, that's their choice. But let them make that choice.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I sometimes think that Rose is more interested in being reinstated to MLB than he is in being inducted into the Hall of Fame whereas most fans are more interested in debating whether or not he should be let into the HOF than they are in seeing him again wear a major league uniform. Rose is 68 years old; if he lives to be age 98, I expect he will still believe that if only he was reinstated some major league team would immediately hire him as a manager.
    Regardlees of what Selig does, I just cannot see any team hiring Rose to manage, nor should he ever manage again or be placed in a position where he could affect the outcome of a game. It would be like placing a glass of whiskey in front of an alcoholic.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The standing ovation that Rose just got at GABP tells me all I need to know about the impact his return to the game would have in Cincinnati.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

He may get pardoned, but I doubt he would get voted in anytime soon. But I could be wrong.

A few years back, Rose was in Calgary and spoke at a local fundraiser dinner. He refused to sign my son's baseball card of Rose. I've disliked him since. He came across like a pompous a$$. He really played up being a victim, the whole "my prison without bars".

I have trouble even tolerating him.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    The standing ovation that Rose just got at GABP tells me all I need to know about the impact his return to the game would have in Cincinnati.
    No duh, and Barry Bonds was cheered nightly in SF

To still lobby for Rose to wear a uniform and perform duties as Reds employee is one of the main reasons Cincinnati is currently on par with the stegosaurus in a tar pit right now.

No forward looking happening at all, just constant glances in the rear view mirror at a fading memory.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

No forward looking happening at all, just constant glances in the rear view mirror at a fading memory.
    That's the Reds, sometimes I think the city would have been better off losing the team and just building a shrine to the past instead of a stadium, yeah I know it was better but it's not coming back.

Unless someone has a DeLorean handy
    Go Gators!

No duh, and Barry Bonds was cheered nightly in SF

To still lobby for Rose to wear a uniform and perform duties as Reds employee is one of the main reasons Cincinnati is currently on par with the stegosaurus in a tar pit right now.

I hate the term "strawman" so I won't use it. But I don't see anyone in this thread (perhaps I missed it but I sure have not seen it) that has lobbied to have Rose don a uniform and function as a team employee in an official capacity. That's not to say a lot of people would not support or enjoy that, but that's not what people are asking for.

They're asking the ban to be lifted so A) he can be eligible for the Hall of Fame and B) be welcomed in an official capacity by the Reds or Major League Baseball as a sanctioned guest and take part in promotions or whatever else he could be useful for. Would I welcome him as a hitting coach? You bet I would. But that's also not what I'm asking.

I can say without question I'm not glancing in the rear view mirror because I never saw Rose play live or on television. I'm speaking from a baseball fan standpoint and from a view of giving humans a second chance.

Pete Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame and he's paid his debt to the game and mere mortal men. What he did was wrong but not unforgivable. To not give him a second chance is suggesting that there are people that don't make mistakes in life.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I hate the term "strawman" so I won't use it. But I don't see anyone in this thread (perhaps I missed it but I sure have not seen it) that has lobbied to have Rose don a uniform and function as a team employee in an official capacity.
    I know of 3 times in the first 4 pages.

I know of 3 times in the first 4 pages.
    Well I apologize. I missed those references.

My stance is that I do not mind him being employed so long as he's not allowed to manage. Like I used as an example in another post, it's akin to not allowing a drunk driver to have his license back or giving a teacher or other person in position of authority to have taken advantage of a teenager, a similar position. Just don't put him in a position to give into temptation for his vice.

Otherwise, I'm all for Pete Rose being involved in baseball.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I sometimes think that Rose is more interested in being reinstated to MLB than he is in being inducted into the Hall of Fame whereas most fans are more interested in debating whether or not he should be let into the HOF than they are in seeing him again wear a major league uniform.

I've thought this for a long time as well. I think he desperately wanted back into baseball so he could earn a million plus a year managing.

Or maybe broadcasting, but I believe he wanted back in the dugout.

He lost a fortune in wages the past 20 years. It would have been interesting to see how good a manager he could have become if not for his gambling.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Perhaps Rose should have just shot helpless dogs, then we'd be more apt to forgive him.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Perhaps Rose should have just shot helpless dogs, then we'd be more apt to forgive him.

Perhaps some would forgive him no matter what he did.

If you look around, many of us who can't get past his betrayal of baseball were his biggest fans when he was a player.

And yes, I said betrayal. Baseball didn't betray Pete, Pete betrayed baseball, the game that gave him everything.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?