Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predict the newest Red

Predict the newest Red

I can't fathom a scenario where Walt doesn't make at least one deal by Friday. So please, without the bitter sarcasm (hard as that may be), predict who will be the newest member of the organization by Friday.

I'll start with Mark Teahen. I see the Reds trading some mid-tier prospects for Teahen, the poor man's Mark DeRosa, and billing it as a trade for the present and the future. It will be nice in that it will give them some flexibility with Encarnacion and the outfield. However, assuming that's the only "big" move, I'll be underwhelmed.

What I would really like to see is the Reds trade Matt Maloney for any number of underperforming, high-potential outfielders. Wladimir Balentien, Elijah Dukes, and Delmon Young could all be had quite easily at the moment. I'd like to see WJ pull a Krivsky and take a chance on a high-upside bat. Unfortunately with the current GM, I think a Teahen-type trade is much more likely.

What's your prediction- who will be the newest Red by the end of the week?
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-27-2009 at 09:39 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Predict the newest Red

I think there will be a lot of new Reds starting soon. I see Walt making wholesale changes on the roster, including moving up AAA and maybe even AA guys and trading a lot of folks. Including some of the good players. Not just deadline deals, but also off-season changes.

Just my feeling that Walt probably is now confident that he knows what he has, and that the next phase will be a lot of changeover to come up with a better mix.

I'll start with Scott Rolen, but I think that's the tip of the iceberg.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-27-2009 at 10:06 AM.

I thin Scott Rolen will be a Red for the 2010 season. I don't know if a deal gets down by the deadline or if one gets done in the off season. If a deal gets done in the off season I see a slobber knocker deal getting done.

I have a feeling that Weathers and Rhodes will be moved but I do not know their return.

I'll go off the charts a bit and say Kevin Kouzmanoff.

Me >>> branch >>> Josh Willingham

It would be much much much smarter to wait until the offseason to make a deal for Rolen, when his trade value will be significantly lower.

Ian Snell and Jack Wilson.

Sigh.

(On another note, would Wilson be a Type A free agent?)

Chris Heisey, Drew Stubbs and Justin Lehr.

Oh you mean outside the organization? No one.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Chris Heisey, Drew Stubbs and Justin Lehr.

Oh you mean outside the organization? No one.
    This. But I honestly think we're closer to seeing McDonald brought back up before one of the two youngsters. And I am totally serious.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Sigh.

Interesting thought. MLBTR had some talk the other day about the Elias rankings. Check out their estimations.

Wilson is neither type A or B according to them.

Sigh.

I'd take that, as long as they don't give up one of the Top 4 prospects to get 'em (Alonso, Frazier, Heisey, Stewart). I would like to see Ian Snell in Red- I think he could easily turn it around and pitch up to his contract.

Again though, it can't be the only move.
    Go BLUE!!!

Jaun Pierre. He would fit in with the present scheme of things.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Gary Matthews Jr.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Jaun Pierre. He would fit in with the present scheme of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Gary Matthews Jr.

Sigh.

Surprised many people think the Reds will be adding payroll when they are completely out of the race. I severely doubt we will be adding any players making $5M or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Surprised many people think the Reds will be adding payroll when they are completely out of the race. I severely doubt we will be adding any players making $5M or more.
    Cordero for Matthews Jr. and Brandon Wood? I also never said I wanted him on the team. It's just seams like a Walt/Dusty/Reds type of move. I don't think LA is inclined to move Pierre, but I do think he is inclined to leave.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?