Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grab your barf bag

Grab your barf bag

Just looking at some 2009 offensive (read: offensive as in loathsome) numbers here ...

Reds team: .247/.316/.389/.705 in 3,704 plate appearances

Reds on the road: .233/.296/.369/.665 in 1,801 plate appearances

Reds (as a team) sans Joey Votto: .238/.307/.371/.678 in 3,341 plate appearances

Reds Outfielders: .235/.297/.379/.676 in 1,270 plate appearances

Votto/Phillips/Hanigan/Gomes: .304/.381/.499/.880 in 981 plate appearances (just think that two of the four players in that group are the backup catcher and a right-handed platoon outfielder).

Everyone else: .226/.292/.350/.642 in 2,723 plate appearances (that's 73.5 percent of all the team's PAs)

Willy T/Gonzalez/Rosales/Janish/McDonald: .225/.279/.292/.571 in 865 plate appearances (that's 23.4 percent of all the team's PAs)

The 2009 offense has thus far performed about as well as the 2003-05 Reds pitching staff. In other words, historically awful. I really love the fact that nearly three-fourths of the entire team has an on-base percentage of only .292. If anything screams perennial contender, that's it right there.

Anyhow, as a result, we once again open up our arms and gracefully welcome back The Lost Decade.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 07-27-2009 at 02:07 PM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Grab your barf bag

Just sad.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

C'mon Cyclone, I just ate...

Did you have to post that?

Now I need some Pepto...

You should mail these statistics to Walt and BOB and see if they have the guts to reply or make excuses for their poor team building..

All we need is a hoss pitching staff and we'll complete like the dickens....

Er....opps....nevermind.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Just looking at some 2009 offensive (read: offensive as in loathsome) numbers here ...

Reds team: .247/.316/.389/.705 in 3,704 plate appearances

Reds on the road: .233/.296/.369/.665 in 1,801 plate appearances

Reds (as a team) sans Joey Votto: .238/.307/.371/.678 in 3,341 plate appearances

Reds Outfielders: .235/.297/.379/.676 in 1,270 plate appearances

Votto/Phillips/Hanigan/Gomes: .304/.381/.499/.880 in 981 plate appearances (just think that two of the four players in that group are the backup catcher and a right-handed platoon outfielder).

Everyone else: .226/.292/.350/.642 in 2,723 plate appearances (that's 73.5 percent of all the team's PAs)

Willy T/Gonzalez/Rosales/Janish/McDonald: .225/.279/.292/.571 in 865 plate appearances (that's 23.4 percent of all the team's PAs)

The 2009 offense has thus far performed about as well as the 2003-05 Reds pitching staff. In other words, historically awful. I really love the fact that nearly three-fourths of the entire team has an on-base percentage of only .292. If anything screams perennial contender, that's it right there.

Anyhow, as a result, we once again open up our arms and gracefully welcome back The Lost Decade.
    Cyclone, thanks for the info. To me, the most telling data for this team's failure over the last few years has been the number of PA that have been absolutely wasted. This was the case last year, and it's still the case this year. As Cyclone points out, 23.4 percent of the PA have been wasted on players that can't even give you Juan Castro production (.231/.271/.334/.605 for his career).
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    All we need is a hoss pitching staff and we'll complete like the dickens....

Er....opps....nevermind.
    The Giants are doing it--with the same weenie offense as the Reds.

But I'll say this: no one in the bottom half of team ERA in the NL is really even close to contention.

This is no longer the MLB of teams with 900 + runs scored.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-27-2009 at 02:19 PM.

I've been watching the Reds all year.

Therefore, I have a barf bucket.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

But I'll say this: no one in the bottom half of team ERA in the NL is really even close to contention.
    If you are going to go the "weenie offense" route, that is a good park to try it in.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Is there still anyone who thinks the offense is NOT the problem or will come around?

Pretty easy, for me at least, to see why this team cannot win.

Walt had a horrible, horrible offseason, and did next to nothing to fix what most saw as a glaring issue going into the season.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    If you are going to go the "weenie offense" route, that is a good park to try it in.
    I'll take the 3.60 team ERA route if you don't mind.

The same Giants team that is currently 10 games out?

They are 2 games out in the wild card so I guess if you want to build a team that "competes" for the wild card every year that would be groovy.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

They are 2 games out in the wild card so I guess if you want to build a team that "competes" for the wild card every year that would be groovy.
    Yeah. What's good about offense is that you can always get it at the deadline. Always.

I'll take the 3.60 team ERA route if you don't mind.
    Definitely helps a weenie offense. Wonder if they would post the same ERA in GAB?
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?