Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're witnessing nothing short of a miracle in Travis Wood this season.

We're witnessing nothing short of a miracle in Travis Wood this season.

When was the last time a pitcher led his league in ERA by more than a run-and-a-half? I can't imagine it's happened very often.

Currently,

1. Wood 1.21 ERA
    2. Martinez 2.83 ERA
    3. Ely 3.10 ERA

Almost 2 runs less than the #3 pitcher in the league. That's silly.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...=l_pit&lid=111

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We're witnessing nothing short of a miracle in Travis Wood this season.

2008 in the league was:

1. 3.11
    2. 3.19
    3. 3.24

2007 in the league was:

1. 2.57
    2. 2.99
    3. 3.06

Just for some perspective.

That said, it's his 5th season in the minors and it shows that he's ready for AAA. I'm not annointing him for anything, yet.

No reason for him not to be allowed to be the 1st starter called up next season when an injury requires a new starter, unless some guy named Stewart is still in AAA awaiting his time.

Not a bad starting five:

Volquez
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Stewart
    Wood

For perspective:

Darnell McDonald

w/ Reds - .175/.250/.225 - .475 OPS

w/ Bats - .320/.350/.552 - .902 OPS

There's nothing wrong with optimism but doing it in the minors and doing it in the bigs are two very different things.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    For perspective:

Darnell McDonald

w/ Reds - .175/.250/.225 - .475 OPS

w/ Bats - .320/.350/.552 - .902 OPS

There's nothing wrong with optimism but doing it in the minors and doing it in the bigs are two very different things.
    I agree with your general premise, but Dusty construes that kind of thinking to support his play of proven failures (Willy Taveras and Jerry Hairston to a lesser degree) over unproven possibilities in AAA (Heisey and Stubbs). Sure, there is a big jump from AAA to the majors, and I know I am changing the subject, but some guys can make it and some guys can't.

I guess I am just frustrated that in a lost season we are still running Taveras out there every day when we can find out sooner rather tahn later if Stubbs and/or Heisey could hold their own against big league pitching, therefore taking away the gaping hole(s) in left and/or center.

I'd prefer to trade him while his value is high. I don't think he will be more than a #4 pitcher in MLB, a 3 at best maybe. Which does have good value, but I think right now he could bring back a player with more value than that.

This thread title might be the hyperbole of the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I'd prefer to trade him while his value is high. I don't think he will be more than a #4 pitcher in MLB, a 3 at best maybe. Which does have good value, but I think right now he could bring back a player with more value than that.
    Have you considered his value as a veteran presence in the Bats' clubhouse? When the Reds purchased him from Lehigh Valley, the Bats starters had an 11-18 record. Since then, the Bats starters are 32-14.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Holy Jack Armstrong!

A great half season is a great half season, but a "miracle"? Come on! Remember Volquez's first half last year? That was in the Majors.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    No because in his next miracle Travis Wood lays his hands on Wily Taveras and Alex Gonzalez and they both become .400 OBP guys,.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Have you considered his value as a veteran presence in the Bats' clubhouse? When the Reds purchased him from Lehigh Valley, the Bats starters had an 11-18 record. Since then, the Bats starters are 32-14.

I'm guessing TC is talking about Travis Wood. Are you talking about Justin Lehr?

Yes, Lehr.

If I was mistaken...

nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That said, it's his 5th season in the minors and it shows that he's ready for AAA. I'm not annointing him for anything, yet.

No reason for him not to be allowed to be the 1st starter called up next season when an injury requires a new starter, unless some guy named Stewart is still in AAA awaiting his time.

Not a bad starting five:

Volquez
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Stewart
    Wood

That starting five would not draw raves in the pre season publications. You've got two rookies, one AAAA pitcher (Bailey) and another coming off an injury plagued year. In a nutshell, a lot of question marks...

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That starting five would not draw raves in the pre season publications. You've got two rookies, one AAAA pitcher (Bailey) and another coming off an injury plagued year. In a nutshell, a lot of question marks...
    Since when has Homer Bailey proved himself to be a AAAA pitcher? Give me a break.

I'm as upset about Taveras-Gonzalez one-two every day as any body else, but these exxagerrated claims are killing me.

Bailey has way too small of a sample size and is way too young to be putting this kind of label on him yet. You have to let him get to 25 or 26 to label him a AAAA player. You can't count his boucing up and down while he was so young.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Bailey has way too small of a sample size and is way too young to be putting this kind of label on him yet. You have to let him get to 25 or 26 to label him a AAAA player. You can't count his boucing up and down while he was so young.
    I don't think he was saying Bailey's permanently a AAAA pitcher, just that he is right now (which is a fair description of anyone bouncing up and down between AAA and the majors).

As for Wood, he is having a spectacular season. It's a reminder that you don't win the race at ages 18 or 20. By the same token, you don't win it at 22 either. The next two or three seasons surely won't go as smoothly for him as 2009 has.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?