Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're witnessing nothing short of a miracle in Travis Wood this season.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: We're witnessing nothing short of a miracle in Travis Wood this season.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't think he was saying Bailey's permanently a AAAA pitcher, just that he is right now (which is a fair description of anyone bouncing up and down between AAA and the majors).

As for Wood, he is having a spectacular season. It's a reminder that you don't win the race at ages 18 or 20. By the same token, you don't win it at 22 either. The next two or three seasons surely won't go as smoothly for him as 2009 has.
    He did not clarify that Bailey was not a temporary AAAA pitcher. There is a really bad stigma with being labeled a AAAA pitcher and Bailey has had a couple rough starts this year, but he has shown some major progress. That fact coupled with the fact he is out of options, means that he will be up with us for a while. I for one believe that Bailey will be at least a league average pitcher of a while and I am sick of this "woe is me" attitude especially as it concerns the pitching staff.

Volquez has been out for most of the season, Cueto & Bailey are still developing and we still have a team ERA+ of 100.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That said, it's his 5th season in the minors and it shows that he's ready for AAA. I'm not annointing him for anything, yet.

No reason for him not to be allowed to be the 1st starter called up next season when an injury requires a new starter, unless some guy named Stewart is still in AAA awaiting his time.

Not a bad starting five:

Volquez
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Stewart
    Wood
    If the Reds go into the season counting on Homer Bailey to be their third best starter I might actually cry.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    If the Reds go into the season counting on Homer Bailey to be their third best starter I might actually cry.
    I am not going on record or anything but claiming that he has not shot to be by the time next season rolls around is insane. He has shown vast improvement with his prolonged stay thus far and we are still talking about months away.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That starting five would not draw raves in the pre season publications. You've got two rookies, one AAAA pitcher (Bailey) and another coming off an injury plagued year. In a nutshell, a lot of question marks...
    You're right. I wasn't talking about next season...but a future season, maybe 2011 or 2012.

As for Wood, he is having a spectacular season. It's a reminder that you don't win the race at ages 18 or 20. By the same token, you don't win it at 22 either. The next two or three seasons surely won't go as smoothly for him as 2009 has.
    Exactly what I was saying. Just giving him credit for putting together one of the most amazing minor league seasons ever. As I said when stating that "I'm not annointing him for anything...", I just want to point out how very, very rare of a season he is having this year. If you've had a chance to watch him down in Carolina, you've been fortunate. You should get to Louisville if you can. It's probably better than watching a REDS' game, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    C'mon man. I'm right here. :

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    I am not going on record or anything but claiming that he has not shot to be by the time next season rolls around is insane. He has shown vast improvement with his prolonged stay thus far and we are still talking about months away.
    If he continues to pitch in the majors for the rest of this season as he has to date, then it would be folly to view him as anything more than a #5 option heading into next year.

Could he pleasantly surprise? Sure, but GMs aren't paid to build teams around wishful thinking.

His lack of options is going to be a huge issue if the Reds are looking to contend in 2010 (or even to put up the pretense of contention). If the team isn't openly in rebuilding mode and he's pitching like this a month into next season, then he's a release candidate.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If he continues to pitch in the majors for the rest of this season as he has to date, then it would be folly to view him as anything more than a #5 option heading into next year.

Could he pleasantly surprise? Sure, but GMs aren't paid to build teams around wishful thinking.

His lack of options is going to be a huge issue if the Reds are looking to contend in 2010 (or even to put up the pretense of contention). If the team isn't openly in rebuilding mode and he's pitching like this a month into next season, then he's a release candidate.
    And 23 year old rookies arent expect to post sub 3 ERAs their first year. You can claim Homer is not a rookie any longer but this is the first time he is getting extended time in the majors and learning.

And 23 year old rookies arent expect to post sub 3 ERAs their first year. You can claim Homer is not a rookie any longer but this is the first time he is getting extended time in the majors and learning.
    If only he were a 23-year-old rookie. He's not. Then the Reds would have time and options with him that they don't.

I can tell you this. Pitchers with no options are expected to post sub-6.00 ERAs, sub-5.00 if you're not in rebuilding mode.

If only he were a 23-year-old rookie. He's not. Then the Reds would have time and options with him that they don't.

I can tell you this. Pitchers with no options are expected to post sub-6.00 ERAs, sub-5.00 if you're not in rebuilding mode.
    The Reds can't help but straddle the fence between rebuilding and contending. Therefore, I expect Homer to post a sub-5.50 ERA next year. How's that for splitting the goalposts?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The Reds can't help but straddle the fence between rebuilding and contending. Therefore, I expect Homer to post a sub-5.50 ERA next year. How's that for splitting the goalposts?
    You may be right, though I can't help but think Walt Jocketty will walk past Homer in the locker room one day and think "Smells like Bud Smith."

So the 9 starts in 07 and 8 starts in 08 really constitute experience? I think not, he has been thrown around too much during that time. He needs to be able to pitch without worrying he will get sent back down because of one start. It looks as if he is getting that chance now and 7 games is still a small sample size.

You may be right, though I can't help but think Walt Jocketty will walk past Homer in the locker room one day and think "Smells like Bud Smith."
    Maybe that day will be today.

Bailey for Rolen?
    Go BLUE!!!

So the 9 starts in 07 and 8 starts in 08 really constitute experience? I think not, he has been thrown around too much during that time. He needs to be able to pitch without worrying he will get sent back down because of one start. It looks as if he is getting that chance now and 7 games is still a small sample size.
    They constitute options burned and pitchers without options generally need to perform or they go bye-bye.

The Reds don't have the luxury of treating Bailey like a rookie no matter how much you may want it to be otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Maybe that day will be today.

Bailey for Rolen?
    Trading him for Rolen would constitute the full Bud Smith treatment.

Turn Off Ads?