Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: We're witnessing nothing short of a miracle in Travis Wood this season.

Re: We're witnessing nothing short of a miracle in Travis Wood this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was in Chicago in 2003 during the NLCS. I was living there at the time.
    Yea that might have been when the game was. I remember him saying he saw him at some bar and said "do you think Nolan Ryan would be here" and Beckett said something along the lines of Im not Nolan Ryan or Nolan Ryan isnt me or something.

He wasnt drinking I dont think but I remember thom mentioning it to prove a point of how Beckett is his own cat and hes gonna do it his way.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Wood's got one more season I believe.

No one is saying Bailey has "turned it around." But in the last month, if you've watched his starts, I am seeing (for the first time) that he truly has the potential to be a major league starter. He's shown up horrendously in 2 starts, and very solid in 2. And oh yeah, he's 23.
    Good news on Wood. Hopefully the Reds resist adding him to the 40-man until perhaps a late season callup next season.

I'll take your word for this being the "first time" you've ever considered Bailey to be a potential major league starter, but your handle makes me doubt it slightly.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Good news on Wood. Hopefully the Reds resist adding him to the 40-man until perhaps a late season callup next season.

I'll take your word for this being the "first time" you've ever considered Bailey to be a potential major league starter, but your handle makes me doubt it slightly.
    Naturally I could see how one would think that because of my handle I would be Homer obsessive. But to tell you the truth, I made this name before I knew much about Homer at all. I really didn't know anything about the Reds minor league system at all, or the minor leagues in general before I started reading this site. I was so excited when he got the call up but never saw what made scouts rave about him so much. Awful command, no life on the fastball, propensity for the long ball, etc.

This year he has certainly shown flashes of the problems he has experienced in the past, but he has also shown a much more lively fastball, a nasty split (when he can control it), and an ability to pitch to contact effectively at times. His K rate isn't where I'd like it to be, but I love watching him pitch now much more than I did in 2007 or 2008. His stride looks better, he is using his length better, and he's shown a lot more maturity.

Sorry to hijack the thread. We can get back to Wood now.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

I believe Wood has to be protected this December.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I believe Wood has to be protected this December.
    Next year will be his 5th in the org right? Do you need to be locked up before or after your 5th year?

Major league teams must protect players on their 40-man rosters within three or four years of their original signing. Those left unprotected are available to other teams as Rule 5 picks.

Players who were 18 or younger on June 5 preceding the signing of their first contract must be protected after four minor league seasons. Players 19 and older must be protected after three seasons.

This information is from Baseball America.

Edit: I think the article should state that teams must protect players NOT on their 40 man roster.
    Last edited by JohnDoe; 07-31-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Add comment on potential misprint in BA article

Turn Off Ads?