Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Halladay / Cliff Lee

Roy Halladay / Cliff Lee

You know, I can tell many folks here, understandably, are frustrated and feel like the Yankees news of passing on Bronson Arroyo gives the feeling the Reds won't get anything done. I was thinking, though, that the Blue Jays' and Indians' reported stingy demands for Halladay and Lee will help the Reds the next three days.

If those teams continue to hold out for a ransom, there's an awful lot of teams out there needing pitching. I think someone might overpay for Arroyo or Harang if things hold the way they have.

When I say overpay, I do not suggest the Reds will get a fleecing that will make everyone here happy, but I think they could still get more value than perhaps their actual worth.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roy Halladay / Cliff Lee

Looks a trade is going down between the Phillies and the Indians for Cliff Lee, and Ben Francisco. The Indians are supposed to be getting some sort of lesser package than was demanded for Halladay but the names aren't clear yet.

If Lee is off the market, and Halladay isn't going to be moved, and the Mariners are buying, Harang is now the top arm on the market.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi report that the sides have agreed to a deal that sends Cliff Lee and Ben Francisco to Philly for Jason Knapp, Carlos Carrasco, Jason Donald and Lou Marson. The teams still have to examine medical records for the deal to go through.
    Going down
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

seems to me Halladay will stay put. The Pimp lost a lot of leverage with the Phillies off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    seems to me Halladay will stay put. The Pimp lost a lot of leverage with the Phillies off the table.
    Ricciardi sounded pretty dejected about it, too. He priced himself right out of what could have been a pretty good trade. Still... there's the Dodgers and Rangers to keep the bidding going on Halladay.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Ricciardi sounded pretty dejected about it, too. He priced himself right out of what could have been a pretty good trade. Still... there's the Dodgers and Rangers to keep the bidding going on Halladay.
    we don't know what the Phillies offered but the Dodgers don't have much a recent history for dealing away top prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Are the Rangers really willing to go all-in on Halladay?

Time for the Reds to jump in. Alonso, Stubbs/Heisey, Roenicke and Homer/Stewart/Wood.

I don't think Ricciardi will do better than that. In fact, throw in EE and add Rolen from their end and we have a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    They seem to be willing to give up the prospects necessary, but it does not sound like they're willing to take Halladay without some additional cash thrown in. The Jays don't act as if they're going to do that.

What's so hard to understand about the fact that Halladay has a no-trade clause, sent the Blue Jays a list of teams he'd be willing to be traded to, and I'm 99% confident the Reds weren't on that list?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What's so hard to understand about the fact that Halladay has a no-trade clause, sent the Blue Jays a list of teams he'd be willing to be traded to, and I'm 99% confident the Reds weren't on that list?
    Maybe, maybe not. And maybe he'd waive it. If his choice is Cincinnati or going back to Toronto as a miserable lame duck for, potentially, another 18 months, he might just acquiesce and accept the deal.

Just please stop thinking small. I'm so sick of this franchise thinking small.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    In order to afford him will Liverpool have sell Xabi Alonso for Real Madrid's asking price?

Somewhere all of Tom Hicks' pockets must merge as one.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. And maybe he'd waive it. If his choice is Cincinnati or going back to Toronto as a miserable lame duck for, potentially, another 18 months, he might just acquiesce and accept the deal.

he'd be just as miserable a lame duck in Cincy as in Toronto.

More likely (if he was desperate to get out of Toronto and Cincinnati was the only place the Jays were willing to send him) he'd accept the trade to the Reds and then opt out of his deal at the end of the season, which I believe he's allowed to do on a multi-year contract.

I'm with you about not thinking small, but Halladay's a bit of a futile target.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

"Maybe we could freeze the beer into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!"

Turn Off Ads?