Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Jonny Gomes have trade value?

Does Jonny Gomes have trade value?

He is OPSing .989 after last night's game. He's OPS'd over .900 for one other major league season before, so it's hard to call it a simple fluke. In this respect, he reminds me a lot of another former Ray/Red Jorge Cantu.

Gomes is 29 years old making the league minimum. Could he be a valuable add for a playoff contender? Would he bring back much of anything in a trade? Discuss.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does Jonny Gomes have trade value?

If the Reds can find a buyer, then they need to sell Gomes.

Unfortunately, what's likely to happen is that management will suddenly think Gomes can reproduce what he's doing this year and will ink him to an extension. What you'll then likely see is the 2010 Jonny Gomes remind us of the 2009 Jerry Hairston Jr.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    He is OPSing .989 after last night's game. He's OPS'd over .900 for one other major league season before, so it's hard to call it a simple fluke. In this respect, he reminds me a lot of another former Ray/Red Jorge Cantu.

Gomes is 29 years old making the league minimum. Could he be a valuable add for a playoff contender? Would he bring back much of anything in a trade? Discuss.

I'm not sure there'd be that much interest in him, although I have not been following other teams very much this year. If he wasn't a defensive liability, I think there's more interest. I guess I don't see much demand for a platoon LF that can not play D. If we did trade him, I'm not sure we'd even get a Maloney calibar prospect for him. I'd rather just keep guys like Gomes to finish off the year with. Obviously, if some team gets crazy and offers a prospect that is even a potential legit ML reserve, then you do it.. but I see no point in trading Gomes for just organizational fodder.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

Unfortunately, what's likely to happen is that management will suddenly think Gomes can reproduce what he's doing this year and will ink him to an extension. What you'll then likely see is the 2010 Jonny Gomes remind us of the 2009 Jerry Hairston Jr.
    Or he could remind us of Jorge Cantu when we let him go for nothing and he continues to hit well somewhere else.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Just as long as the Reds don't sell Laynce Nix.

The Reds can only break my heart so many times, so many ways over The Lost Decade.

Umm...eventually, we're going to have to still have someone left to suit up on the major league roster.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Umm...eventually, we're going to have to still have someone left to suit up on the major league roster.
    If they are punting the season, there's plenty of AAA fodder. Darnell McDonald says
    Go BLUE!!!

Hairston's highest OPS in seasons where he played 100+ games: .725 Worst: .523

Gomes highest OPS in seasons where he played 100+ games: .906 Worst: .757.

Gomes at his worst is better than Hairston at his best.

But I agree, it would be a bad move to sign Gomes long term. He's a butcher in the field.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

An outfield of Nix (Rf) and Gomes (Lf) is better than Gomes (Lf) and Bruce (Rf).

Just sayin'.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    An outfield of Nix (Rf) and Gomes (Lf) is better than Gomes (Lf) and Bruce (Rf).

Just sayin'.
    I don't know what you are sayin'.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Hairston's highest OPS in seasons where he played 100+ games: .725 Worst: .523

Gomes highest OPS in seasons where he played 100+ games: .906 Worst: .757.

Gomes at his worst is better than Hairston at his best.

But I agree, it would be a bad move to sign Gomes long term. He's a butcher in the field.
    You completely missed the parallel, which is that the Reds have a knack for picking up a veteran on a flyer, watching said veteran over-perform, then inking him to an extension and giving him far more playing time than he deserves the following season while regressing back to his career norms.

Jonny Gomes' career norms getting regular playing time in a corner outfield slot for the Reds in 2010 is not going to be getting the job done, just like Jerry Hairston's career norms aren't getting the job done in 2009.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

You completely missed the parallel, which is that the Reds have a knack for picking up a veteran on a flyer, watching said veteran over-perform, then inking him to an extension and giving him far more playing time than he deserves the following season while regressing back to his career norms.

Jonny Gomes' career norms getting regular playing time in a corner outfield slot for the Reds in 2010 is not going to be getting the job done, just like Jerry Hairston's career norms aren't getting the job done in 2009.
    I agree with you on that. Gomes should not get an extension, and should not get regular playing time, barring injuries.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

What would you consider to be Gomes' career norms? He has had an erratic career, where he blew up in 2005, had average years in 2006-2007, awful 2008 (didn't he have shoulder issues in 2007-2008?) and now having a very solid season.

This was the argument versus Juan Rivera this offseason and I see some similarities in the 2 cases. When guys are coming off of injury riddled seasons, you shouldn't really use their stats as a true measurement of their talent levels.

So we wouldn't want Gomes on our bench (which was the plan originally anyway)? I don't buy that whole "if he's here, Dusty will play him" bunk. Gomes and Nix have gotten the playing time they have mostly due to the platoon that came up and the injuries we've suffered. I think Gomes can be of value off the bench. He's not a full time answer.

But if there is value for him (and that's the key word), then by all means trade him.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

All but one season in Gomes' career, though, he's played at or above the level of an average LF. That's despite playing in, what is quite honestly, a pitcher's park.

Now he's playing in a hitter's park (and doing that very well). And it's not like this is the first season he's performed at this level.

I don't advocate signing him long-term for a variety of reasons. But I do think the Reds should sign him to another year or two if they can get him for a reasonable price. He's teetering on the brink of earning a shot as an every day starter, and worst case scenario, would be a tremendous asset as a fourth starter - but again, he's performed (at worse) most of his career no worse than an average LF starter. He might not be inclined to hit this well beyond this year, but even some regression makes him statistically a worthy candidate to start for the Reds, IMHO.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?