Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worst OPS+ so far in 2009

High five!

Worst OPS+ so far in 2009

Another Reds-related "BR-Stat of the day"

Opening graph:

With his second straight season having a qualifying OPS+ under 60, it’s time for Willy Taveras’ playing career to be over. It doesn’t matter how fast the guy is–with an OBP of .289, he’s not getting on base enough and no team should be wasting plate appearances on the guy. Defensively he’s an average centerfielder (not above average with that speed) and there’s no reason to use him in a game except as a pinch-runner.
    Willy's seemed to hit better lately but I've been more underwhelmed with his defense than bat. The bat is what I expected, the glove is much less than I thought it would be.

Is it time to see Stubbs or Heisy yet?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Worst OPS+ so far in 2009

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Is it time to see Stubbs or Heisy yet?
    Dusty said they were considered for Dickerson's spot but he'd rather they played regularly at Louisville. You know, there is certainly no room for them to get some PT in Cincinnati.

High five!

I thought it was interesting that Jimmy Rollins was on that list too.

I looked at the list.

OPS+ of 54. Next closest is 63, Willy T is wining by a wide margin.

The Reds ought to be negotiating that extension.

Since a 9 for 15 three game streak that raised his average to .322 in May, his performance has been dismal. On the Padre broadcast last night they noted that he had experienced a 41 day span without a walk earlier this year. Apparently, that hitting burst in May caused him to forget what his game really is. There ought to be a baseball term for this, a player who allows limited, unusual success to change his game for the worse. I would say that he munson'd, named after the loser that Woody Harrelson played in Kingpin, but Munson is a respected baseball name. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Since a 9 for 15 three game streak that raised his average to .322 in May, his performance has been dismal. On the Padre broadcast last night they noted that he had experienced a 41 day span without a walk earlier this year. Apparently, that hitting burst in May caused him to forget what his game really is. There ought to be a baseball term for this, a player who allows limited, unusual success to change his game for the worse. I would say that he munson'd, named after the loser that Woody Harrelson played in Kingpin, but Munson is a respected baseball name. Any suggestions?
    My buddy got upset with me when I mentioned that WT's hot hitting just meant he was going to fall on his face even harder whenever he eventually did. He told me that I could find a bad thing about every good thing on this team, but it appears I was right. I have to root for WT to fail in hopes that he finds his way off the team, because that is the only way DB will take him out of the lineup. I know that any success he encounters is what DB is going to remember, and any failures will be offset by DB's memory of how awesome he was for a particular 3 game stretch.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    How about Pokey'd?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Dusty said they were considered for Dickerson's spot but he'd rather they played regularly at Louisville. You know, there is certainly no room for them to get some PT in Cincinnati.
    Because of the arbitration clock, I imagine the outfielders could all check into a mental institution the rest of the season and the Reds would still be reluctant to call up either one.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

It's interesting to me looking at this because it helps me understand OPS more fully. Over the last 30 days (not counting last night), Taveras was hitting .301, but his other lines were not very good (which is what everyone here has been saying) - .301/.323/.333 with an OPS of .656. For all his speed, he only stole six bases during that time and was thrown out three. He walked three times and had one double and one triple. He scored nine runs and knocked in three. That's just not productive at all.

Interestingly, being at last night's game, I saw the best and worst of Taveras in the field. The ball that ended up being a double, looked to have been very playable. I didn't think Taveras got back as quickly he should have and been there waiting for that ball. And yet he threw out two runners, one at home and the other at third.

Very maddening player. I don't believe the club's experiment with Taveras has worked as they had hoped. Even batting with a decent average over the last month, his production has not been sufficient. I'm hoping they're eating his contract or finding a buyer for anything (and I almost never say that). Seems like a nice guy, but he has no place with us, IMO.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Poor Wee-Willy has been thrashed to death. Most of us knew he sucked and he has, in fact sucked.

On a bigger picture level, what exaxctly did Walt and is crew see in WT in the first place? The numbers were all there plain as day for anybody with a brain to see.

IIRC somebody in the organization said they saw something they could fix to improve WT. What the heck did they think they could change? Why didn't they change it? Did they try but it made no difference? Did they forget to make the changes?

Moving forward, what flaws exist in the talent identification department need to be addressed to prevent such a preventable disaster from occuring again?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    On a bigger picture level, what exaxctly did Walt and is crew see in WT in the first place? The numbers were all there plain as day for anybody with a brain to see.

IIRC somebody in the organization said they saw something they could fix to improve WT. What the heck did they think they could change? Why didn't they change it? Did they try but it made no difference? Did they forget to make the changes?
    Jamie Quirk claimed he could fix Taveras.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Jamie Quirk should be "relieved of his duties".

Someone needs to be the fall guy.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    he is just having a bad year, the fix should hit in 2011 ... lock him up now

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I thought it was interesting that Jimmy Rollins was on that list too.
    He's been pretty bad this season.

Not Virus bad, but bad for J-Roll.

Turn Off Ads?