Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB Fanhouse: Reds, Yanks Close to Deal on Arroyo

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

MLB Fanhouse: Reds, Yanks Close to Deal on Arroyo

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/07/27/y...n-arroyo-deal/

Yankees, Reds Working on Arroyo Deal

Posted Jul 27, 2009 5:38PM By Jeff Fletcher (RSS feed)

Filed Under: Reds, Yankees, MLB Inside Scoop, MLB Trade Deadline

The Yankees are in serious discussions with the Reds about acquiring Bronson Arroyo, although right now the deal may be hinging on how much of Arroyo's remaining contract the Reds are willing to eat, major league sources told FanHouse on Monday.

Arroyo, 32, is due nearly $4 million for the rest of this season, plus $11 million in 2010 and a $2 million buyout or a $11 million option in 2012. Arroyo is 10-9 with a 5.21 ERA, but he has a 2.08 ERA in his past three starts.

Reds top officials met via conference call this morning, an indication to one big-league source that they were "close to a deal." Arroyo remains the scheduled starter for Tuesday night's game against the Padres, according to Cincinnati's official Twitter account, however the Yankees have two scouts in Cincinnati.

The Yankees have been using Sergio Mitre in place of Chien-Ming Wang (shoulder). But if they need one more replacement starter, they are virtually out of options, since Phil Hughes is entrenched in the bullpen. Besides Roy Halladay, they've also been connected to Cliff Lee and Ian Snell.

The Yankees had a scout in Seattle specifically to see Lee pitch on Sunday against the Mariners, a source said.

Lee is the next-best alternative to Halladay, but he'll also come at a steep price. The Indians have him signed for next year, when they have reasonable hope of contending again.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Fanhouse: Reds, Yanks Close to Deal on Arroyo

Day late and a dollar short
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Haunted by walks

The Yankees payroll is $201.4 million and every single year they have to go looking for someone else's pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The Yankees payroll is $201.4 million and every single year they have to go looking for someone else's pitcher.
    To be fair, the Yanks have went out of their way to make it public record that Arroyo is an option they'de consider if the Reds gave him to them while paying most of his salary.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Day late and a dollar short
    or 17 million dollars short, whatever the case may be
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?