Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will Walt make a trade by the (7/31) trade deadline?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 75.53%
  • No

23 24.47%
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Walt make a trade by the (7/31) trade deadline?

Will Walt make a trade by the (7/31) trade deadline?

Yes or no. Take the question anyway you want.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Walt make a trade by the (7/31) trade deadline?

Yes, I think Arroyo will finally be moved.

Rhodes, Arroyo & Cordero: all to different teams.
    Pennant or bust!

Yes. Gomes and Rhodes, maybe Weathers.

I think we have a veteran or two that contending clubs may want. A trade makes sense. Need to prepare for 2010.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Walt will make some fluff deal that has no major impact on either the 2009 or 2010 roster.

I predict we'll remain frustrated as fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I predict we'll remain frustrated as fans.
    That would happen if Jocketty traded for Hanley Ramirez (doesn't play enough D for a SS), David Wright (too expensive and hustles too much), Roy Halladay (too old and too expensive), and the next coming of Babe Ruth.

We find ways to complain.

I'm going against the grain here, and saying no.

The only thing I've come to expect from the Reds is lame inaction.

They're a feckless, unimaginative organization.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I voted yes, but only because I think he'll move a reliever for some relatively inconsequential return. My guess is that Rhodes goes.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    That would happen if Jocketty traded for Hanley Ramirez (doesn't play enough D for a SS), David Wright (too expensive and hustles too much), Roy Halladay (too old and too expensive), and the next coming of Babe Ruth.

We find ways to complain.
    Right. We have to find ways to complain. This front office/team doesn't give us any reasons to complain.

I do think they make a couple of moves (that amount to a hill of beans) but I think it might be in August so I voted no.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

It's going to be very tough to trade any of the suspects favored for trading by RZers. Most have a lot less value than RZers believe, IMHO, or are monumentally overpaid--e.g. Harang, Arroyo, Gonzalez, possibly even Cordero. But I believe Walt will find a way to make some kind of minor but impact-making deal along the lines of the acquisitions of Owings and Masset. Gomes and Rhodes are probably the best candidates. If he can unload any of Harang, Arroyo, or Cordero, I'll be surprised and greatly pleased to have the salary relief, which equals future flexibility of course, something lost on previous management.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I do think they make a couple of moves (that amount to a hill of beans) but I think it might be in August so I voted no.
    Ahhh yes. Our GM isn't called Wait for nothing.

Wait as long as you can to make a less than essential deal.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

An "essential deal" will require Votto, Phillips, Cueto, Volquez, or Alonso. Those are what you have that other teams would regard "essential." Which one should Walt trade? and for what?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    An "essential deal" will require Votto, Phillips, Cueto, Volquez, or Alonso. Those are what you have that other teams would regard "essential." Which one should Walt trade? and for what?
    I'd have to disagree. You can easily make an "essential deal" without any of those guys. You can win with a good team, teams are not merely a collection of all star caliber talented individuals, but a well put together puzzle. But if they were just a collection of ultra talented individuals you could still make an essential trade without those guys. Just look at what the A's gave up for Holliday to begin with, not one player of those guys calibers IMO. Good players/prospects but not core guys.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?