Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Webb

Brandon Webb

The Ashland, KY native and UK alum has been out with a shoulder injury since Opening Day, and shows no signs of returning before September at the earliest.

Meanwhile, the cash-strapped DBacks must make a choice to pick up his $8.5MM option or buy him out for $2MM. Unless he shows he's completely healthy, I have to imagine they buy him out, especially if last year's refusal to offer Dunn arbitration was any indication of their financial situation.

Assuming he is bought out, could/would/should the Reds make a run at him? Obviously it all depends on his health. What kind of deal would he command? Would he take a hometown discount? Could he be the TOR guy to headline a rotation filled with the youngsters? He just turned 30 in May.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-28-2009 at 11:44 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Webb

He won't sign with the Reds.

Depends on the type of injury he has and how long it would be before he could pitch again if he needed surgery.
    He gets a lot of ground balls and can also miss bats.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    He won't sign with the Reds.
    Care to elaborate?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Wasn't there some story about him being rubbed the wrong way over the scouting/drafting of him, under the Jimbo regime?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

I'd certainly make a strong run at him if he reached FA unless the injury is serious and chronic. I'd even rehab him for half a season if necessary.

I don't think he would hold a grudge towards an organization over something that was done by a regime that was in power 3 "administrations" ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Dude is absolutely overcome with personal requests for tickets, face time and promotion for every nickel-and-dime two-bit hustler who can navigate the 150-page phonebook in Ashland -- or otherwise even remotely connected to a member of his family -- every start in Cincy. Now combine that to the forecast for success shared by the majority of this board with the fact he is in desperate need of that last 4-6 year contract, and you have a terrible math problem for which there is no algebraic theorem to settle.

And this isn't conjecture.

Griffey and Larkin were able to handle it. I'm sure everyone in Ashland would love to get a piece of Brandon, but if that's seriously a problem for him then he needs to do a better job of insulating himself. You're telling me someone can flip open the Ashland phonebook and get Brandon Webb on the phone (when he's not in AZ)? I'm not sure I believe that and if it were true then Brandon has himself to blame more than anything/anyone else.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Griffey and Larkin were able to handle it. I'm sure everyone in Ashland would love to get a piece of Brandon, but if that's seriously a problem for him then he needs to do a better job of insulating himself. You're telling me someone can flip open the Ashland phonebook and get Brandon Webb on the phone (when he's not in AZ)? I'm not sure I believe that and if it were true then Brandon has himself to blame more than anything/anyone else.
    You don't have to believe it. His entire family lives in Ashland. How good are you at telling your family 'no'? Sometimes these obligations are best avoided. This isn't to say this is my opinion, only the opinion(s) that matter.

You don't have to believe it. His entire family lives in Ashland. How good are you at telling your family 'no'? Sometimes these obligations are best avoided. This isn't to say this is my opinion, only the opinion(s) that matter.
    I get what you're saying... it just seems like Brandon's family would want to help insulate him, not make his life more difficult.

Do you know someone who knows Brandon personally or something?

Dude is absolutely overcome with personal requests for tickets, face time and promotion for every nickel-and-dime two-bit hustler who can navigate the 150-page phonebook in Ashland -- or otherwise even remotely connected to a member of his family -- every start in Cincy. Now combine that to the forecast for success shared by the majority of this board with the fact he is in desperate need of that last 4-6 year contract, and you have a terrible math problem for which there is no algebraic theorem to settle.

And this isn't conjecture.
    I'm originally from Ashland and never knew too many people who had a problem telling leeches to bug off. As for expectations? They'll be there everywhere. Wouldn't be any better in NYC, Bos or Chi. The contract? I wouldn't expect a hometown discount, I'd figure on paying market, but then they're gonna have to do that to land a TOR starter anyway. Id' just hope they could sway him and proximity to home might end up being a positive in the end. Might not work, but I'd give it a shot.

The Reds are going to have to add a top pitcher to contend anyway and it needs to be more than a one year rental. Webb's one I would take my est shot on because he's just what you need in the GAB.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I'd sign him yesterday. The PROBLEM is this... The Reds have NO ONE in the organization that can help Brandon Webb get back on track once he's healthy. NOT ONE COACH that can work with him to be successful again. They have some tinkerers and philosophers, but it's obvious that their BEST pitching coach is part time and can only make it for 3-4 days every other month and 3 weeks of Spring Training. (Mr. Soto)
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

TC, Why is it you are the ONLY one who will admit this? Doesn't the organization self-evaluate? Doesn't WK know he is hurting in the pitcher development area? (And the Manager area...)
    Hope Springs Eternal

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

This is EXACTLY the kind of move the Reds need to make if they are serious about contending in 2010 and beyond. I have no problem with them cashing in this year (obviously) but at least have a plan going forward. Having Brandon Webb to go along with Cueto and Volquez would be a darn good plan. Then you need to find a SS and LF and we're in business. The Reds are not THAT far away. Getting someone like Brandon Webb is the kind of move that real MLB teams make. Let's start acting like one again. And I think the local connection helps. It wouldn't be a deciding factor, but if the Reds were able to trade for him, I think they could sign him to a LTC.

Turn Off Ads?