Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

I have a ten year old, 90 + pound pit bull. I rescued him when he was six months old. All the while he's been riddled with illness. Diabetes, hypothyroidism, and he's had cataracts removed.

At a recent checkup the vet voiced concern about various lumps on his belly chest and leg.

She believes he's got mast cell cancer. I trust her, but we both agreed not to test him. If it is cancer, the only option would be chemo. At his age, I don't consider that to be an option. We gave him clavamox for two weeks, and I am still giving him prednazone and benadryl.

Am I doing the right thing? I just can't put him through more crap, and chemo will make him miserable.

He eats a ton but is still slowly losing weight. Other than drowsiness from the benadryl, he's acting normal. He swam for two hours sunday, for example.

Is there anything else I can do to keep him comfortable for as long as possible?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

Can your vet determine the amount of pain he's in if any?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Dogs have a way of letting you know when it is their time. Do what you can for him medically, within reason. But you will know when his quality of life has turned.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Can your vet determine the amount of pain he's in if any?
    She doesn't seem to think he's in much pain, and I think I can tell.

He's always been sort of a grumbly old guy, though. He's very vocal anyway, so I bet I'd know if it got really bad.

Is it unrealistic to think he might be able to make it another year?

I feed him anything I want now. He loves that. I'm doing my best to just spoil the crap out of him from now on.

I just really hope I'm not giving up on him too easily. The life expectancy of a dog his size is something like 7-9 years, add to that the appaling Michael Vick like situation he was in, and all of the in breeding that was sure to have been going on there....It's a wonder he's made it this long, I guess.

Dogs....I keep loving them, and then they die too soon. And to think Parrots live for 50 years. Something's not fair about that.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Dogs have a way of letting you know when it is their time. Do what you can for him medically, within reason. But you will know when his quality of life has turned.
    You're right.

I lived out the country growing up and I've had twenty or more dogs (it was hard to keep track sometimes). It seems like they all just knew it was time, and went off to die. It was the strangest thing.

I really wish Casey and I lived out in the country right about now. I don't know how I'm going to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    You're right. I lived out the country growing up and I've had twenty or more dogs (it was hard to keep track sometimes). It seems like they all just knew it was time, and went off to die. It was the strangest thing. I really wish Casey and I lived out in the country right about now. I don't know how I'm going to handle it.
    Nothing quite like an old country dog that just disappears when it is time. They do seem to know a thing or 2 about dignity. I thought I was going to be in your shoes the past few days with a dog that would not eat. Turns out she had been eating green apples that had fallen in the back yard. Anyway, you are doing the right thing. Spoil him and keep an eye out.

And keep rescuing them!

Speaking as a person who just spent 7K last week for my two dogs, I would say you are doing the right thing. Had I known about the expense before finding out what was wrong with them, I would have taken their age into consideration. I cannot remember dogs being so expensive in my youth.

You're doing the right thing. I had a beloved cat who basically went through the same thing. He was never in pain, eventually he just started to waste away. We put him down when he started to not be able to jump up on furniture anymore and we knew he was close. He ate up until his final day. I'd say when he stops eating and if obviously weak, and generally know he isn't acting like himself, he's telling you it's time. Sorry to hear about this, it's a terrible feeling.

I just took my 11 year old Akita to the vet for a mass on her chest this morning. The vet said he thought it was just a fatty mass that had accumulated because of age, I was very relieved. I feel for you Wheels, as my dog's live expectancy is 9 to 12 years so she is approaching the time and I am dreading that day and the ensuing weeks when its time.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

What dabvu said.

I've been surprised that some of the most ardent of dog lovers that I know that are very involved in the cause, are also the ones who are more willing to advise in favor of putting a dog down when they get to a certain point. I can't tell you what the right decision is here, but you dn't have to feel any guilt if you decide to go down that path. The fact that you're posing this question and agonizing over the decision shows that you truly care deeply about the dog. Let yourself off the hook if that's the decision you make.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Well put.

A very hard decision. Been there more than once. You owe it to them though.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What dabvu said.

I've been surprised that some of the most ardent of dog lovers that I know that are very involved in the cause, are also the ones who are more willing to advise in favor of putting a dog down when they get to a certain point. I can't tell you what the right decision is here, but you dn't have to feel any guilt if you decide to go down that path. The fact that you're posing this question and agonizing over the decision shows that you truly care deeply about the dog. Let yourself off the hook if that's the decision you make.
    I just hope it takes a good long while before it gets to that point.

Ugh.

I feel for you man, I have a boxer which is a similiar build with similiar issues and life expectancy. Let nature do it's course if it's not hurting your dog. I agree about the parrots but turtles can live over 150 years! That might be my next one. Good luck, I pray that day never comes for me but it will again and again.

PB
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

You're a good man, Wheels.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?