Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

Im sorry for your loss Wheels.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just saw this, wheels. I'm sorry for your loss.

But you eventually will feel better for having done this. Sometimes doing the right thing in life is very hard and difficult. You'll know that you eased his pain and that you were there for him all the way through and you gave him a kind and loving end. A harsh lesson to learn but one that will serve you well in life.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'm so sorry, Wheels. I've held quite a number of pets to their end over the years. It's never an easy decision to know when. Like Roy said, they just let you know.

It's never gotten any easier for me whether it's a dog, a cat or a rat. When they have my heart, they have it.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I'm so sorry, Wheels. I've held quite a number of pets to their end over the years. It's never an easy decision to know when. Like Roy said, they just let you know.

It's never gotten any easier for me whether it's a dog, a cat or a rat. When they have my heart, they have it.
    Exactly.

I should have named the thread for pet lovers, not just dog lovers.

I wish I wasn't allergic to cats.

I also want to thank everyone for understanding what I went through, and for the super kind words.

Redszone is awesome.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I am sorry for loss Wheels. You are a fine pet owner and it seems you did the right thing. I have had a lot of pets over the years but I have never had to make that trip to the vet to put one down. They all seemed to know it was time to die and knew it was too hard for me or wife to take them to do that. Last fall we were on our way to the vet with our longtime pet rabbit to most likely do that thing. He was nearly 13 years and had gotten in bad shape. One Sunday morning he was breathing laborisly and we headed out to the vets to what I felt like was the trip to have him put down. We hadn't gone very far on our way when he just quit breathing. It was like he knew it was just too hard on us and he gave it up.
    Now we are starting down that road with our cat. We have had him since May 1992 just a few months after me and my wife were married. He's had diabetes since the fall of 2005 and just recently he went into kidney failure and was diagnosed with chronic kindey failure,or something like that. For the last week or so we have been giving him drip bags of water to flush him out and hopefully bring it under control. He does seem better than a week ago with more life about him but he's not eating much. In fact we have been force feeding him some every night. If cats don't eat enough they can go into liver failure and die pretty quickly. We go back to the vet this evening so they can test his kidneys to see how much improvement he's made and see were we go from here. Also to ask lots of questions. But I'm afraid we are going down the road to eventual death from this and its not going to be easy.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I am sorry for loss Wheels. You are a fine pet owner and it seems you did the right thing. I have had a lot of pets over the years but I have never had to make that trip to the vet to put one down. They all seemed to know it was time to die and knew it was too hard for me or wife to take them to do that. Last fall we were on our way to the vet with our longtime pet rabbit to most likely do that thing. He was nearly 13 years and had gotten in bad shape. One Sunday morning he was breathing laborisly and we headed out to the vets to what I felt like was the trip to have him put down. We hadn't gone very far on our way when he just quit breathing. It was like he knew it was just too hard on us and he gave it up.
    Now we are starting down that road with our cat. We have had him since May 1992 just a few months after me and my wife were married. He's had diabetes since the fall of 2005 and just recently he went into kidney failure and was diagnosed with chronic kindey failure,or something like that. For the last week or so we have been giving him drip bags of water to flush him out and hopefully bring it under control. He does seem better than a week ago with more life about him but he's not eating much. In fact we have been force feeding him some every night. If cats don't eat enough they can go into liver failure and die pretty quickly. We go back to the vet this evening so they can test his kidneys to see how much improvement he's made and see were we go from here. Also to ask lots of questions. But I'm afraid we are going down the road to eventual death from this and its not going to be easy.

You know I feel for you.

Poor kitty.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Wheels, I grieve for you and your loss, but know that you did the right thing by your friend. The two of you were fortunate to have found each other.

My wife and I have a 3 year old, 4 lb. Yorkie who is the emotional equivalent of our child. I loathe the thought of the day we have to do what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    It's hard to be strong when life gives us these terrible circumstances. You were strong for your dog, Wheels. You stood up when he needed you to.

You did the right thing for him. To let him suffer because it would have been easier for you would have been letting him down. You didn't.

You're a good man, and you both were lucky to have one another as long as you did.
    Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah. We're on labrador retriever #3. We named her Harper. She's 16 weeks old now. Great dog, already a great companion, boundless energy, can already see the intelligence in her eyes, and I know she'll be a great dog over the coming years.

Lab #1 was Cooper. In the Dog Hall of Fame. His VORD (Value Over Replacement Dog) was off the charts. Lived to be 12. Lab #2 was Elsa. Great dog, a little ditzy, but unbelievably loyal and loving. She lived to be 13. 25 years of lab so far. For both of them, the decision to have them put down was a hard one. Both times, the decline was sure, the end was something that just couldn't be put off any longer.

Both times, we sat out in the yard for the whole morning. They let the sun hit them, lifted their noses into the breeze to catch a waft of whatever critter was about, and looked at me like "what are we doing today, boss?". Took a walk, peed a couple times (as well as their bad hips would let them), barked at a squirrel, let a neighbor scratch their ears. Both times, I had to help them into the car. And both times, the vet whisked us into a room so I wouldn't have to sit out in the waiting room with the masses. And then both times, I scratched their ears and head and told them they were good dogs as the vet rigged up the IV. He nodded to me and I said OK and he pushed in the plunger and that was that. Shook his hand, the staff gave me their condolences, and I'd go out to my car and sob like a baby. Tore me up bad. And if the gods allow, I'll probably take Harper on that same car ride in about 12-14 years. You just can't come into this world without going out. All part of the deal of being a dog owner. You owe it to them to give them a good end.
    Thanks for sharing your story, Roy.

No, there's nothing in my eye.........I'm crying.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    You know I feel for you.

Poor kitty.
    Thanks! He's doing better. His numbers were better when we took him back to the vet. We were able to cut back on the fluids we are giving him. He started eating a lot better on his own over the weekend. That helps a lot. It's just going to be an adjustment in giving him medicines and maybe fluids everyday now for a while and maybe the rest of his life.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Thanks! He's doing better. His numbers were better when we took him back to the vet. We were able to cut back on the fluids we are giving him. He started eating a lot better on his own over the weekend. That helps a lot. It's just going to be an adjustment in giving him medicines and maybe fluids everyday now for a while and maybe the rest of his life.
    Yeah. It beats the alternative, though.

When my dog was six, he was diagnosed with a thyroid problem, then diabetes, then he had to get cataracts removed.

I got used to all of the pills and shots with every meal. You will too.

I swear. My experience with that dog taught me a lot about the world of vetrinary medicine. I can now hold a semi intelligent conversation with anyone in the field.

I'm also going to use that knowledge to help land the pretty blonde vet tech that's been invading my dreams for the last few months.

Casey may be gone, but his legacy of being a chick magnet lives on.

My dog is 11 years old. We got her from the pound as a skinny, nervous German Shepperd/Pit Bull mix. She quickly gain weight and seems pretty happy until lately. She has some hip pain, a sore back right leg, and bumps on her face and thighs. She also has the occasional seizure. I took her to the vet and they talked about doing some test and Xrays totally over $800 to find out how to treat her, not too mention surgeries.

I'm thinking $800, just to test and than thousands of dollars after surgeries she would have to have.

We settled for giving her pain reliever Tramadol. However, it made her real tired and she pretty much urinated on herself and her dog bed without even noticing it was occurring.

We stopped giving her the Tramadol and she pretty much back to her old self.

She is still pretty active and playful when she wants to be and still guards the house like a pro. So we are hopeful that we were over reacting. We know she is in some pain with the hips and leg. We think the pain is bearable for her at the moment. But are afraid time is catching up to her.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Yeah. It beats the alternative, though.

When my dog was six, he was diagnosed with a thyroid problem, then diabetes, then he had to get cataracts removed.

I got used to all of the pills and shots with every meal. You will too.

I swear. My experience with that dog taught me a lot about the world of vetrinary medicine. I can now hold a semi intelligent conversation with anyone in the field.

I'm also going to use that knowledge to help land the pretty blonde vet tech that's been invading my dreams for the last few months.

Casey may be gone, but his legacy of being a chick magnet lives on.
    I would like to add that if you think you are paying too much at the Vets for medicines and other medical supplies you need,you probably are. When our cat started the Sub Q's,which is nothing but a glorified pack of water, our vet was charging $34 per bag! We thought that was really a lot for that and mentioned it to a vet tech. She said we will price match if you just bring in what you find on the Internet or whereever. My wife looked around on the Internet and found it considerably cheaper. I don't remember the price exactly but is was around $6 per pack. She brought that in to them but they wouldn't match it exactly but would only charge $15 per pack. That right there tells you what a markup they have and IMO taking advantage of a situation. My wife said no and ask the vet to write a perscription for this and she did. (The vet btw is really good. We have gone to her for a long time and we really didn't want to change.) In the meantime my wife called Wal-Greens just see if they would fill a perscription for a pet and if they could get these Sub Q bags and the needles needed for it. Well to our surprise they did and they also have a pet savings club! It cost $20 a year to be a member and you can get greatly discounted perscription medication and supplies for your pets. They were able to get the Sub Q bags for us. A box of 12 only cost us about $13.50! Basically just over $1 a bag. The needles were actually more at $17.99 for a box of 100. But still we are paying maybe $2 a bag for these Sub Q's when the vet's office was originally charging $34 per bag! So it pays big time to look around on the Internet for medications and supplies. Your vet should be willing to write you a perscription. If they don't they aren't worth going to,IMO. If our vet refused to do this we were set to find one that would.
    BTW our cat is doing better. He seems to be slowly getting back to his old self. We have to give him an appetite stimulant,which we found out was a human allergy pill that has an affect on a cat to increase their appetite. And he's getting 200 ML of Sub Q's per day. He goes back to the vet Thursday to see how is kidney functions have progressed. We are hoping we will be able to cut back on his Sub Q's after this visit.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?