Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 56

Thread: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

  1. #16
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    When I was a kid, I had a beloved Collie that was my constant companion. He got older and was not feeling good for a while. He just disappeared one day and we never found him. Typical country dog. He knew it was his time and he left to die with dignity.

    Had to put one down a few years back. One of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. I know that it was the right one, but it didn't make it any easier for me. Good luck, wheels. You will do the right thing when it is time.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,378

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    Yeah. We're on labrador retriever #3. We named her Harper. She's 16 weeks old now. Great dog, already a great companion, boundless energy, can already see the intelligence in her eyes, and I know she'll be a great dog over the coming years.

    Lab #1 was Cooper. In the Dog Hall of Fame. His VORD (Value Over Replacement Dog) was off the charts. Lived to be 12. Lab #2 was Elsa. Great dog, a little ditzy, but unbelievably loyal and loving. She lived to be 13. 25 years of lab so far. For both of them, the decision to have them put down was a hard one. Both times, the decline was sure, the end was something that just couldn't be put off any longer.

    Both times, we sat out in the yard for the whole morning. They let the sun hit them, lifted their noses into the breeze to catch a waft of whatever critter was about, and looked at me like "what are we doing today, boss?". Took a walk, peed a couple times (as well as their bad hips would let them), barked at a squirrel, let a neighbor scratch their ears. Both times, I had to help them into the car. And both times, the vet whisked us into a room so I wouldn't have to sit out in the waiting room with the masses. And then both times, I scratched their ears and head and told them they were good dogs as the vet rigged up the IV. He nodded to me and I said OK and he pushed in the plunger and that was that. Shook his hand, the staff gave me their condolences, and I'd go out to my car and sob like a baby. Tore me up bad. And if the gods allow, I'll probably take Harper on that same car ride in about 12-14 years. You just can't come into this world without going out. All part of the deal of being a dog owner. You owe it to them to give them a good end.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  4. #18
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,681

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah. We're on labrador retriever #3. We named her Harper. She's 16 weeks old now. Great dog, already a great companion, boundless energy, can already see the intelligence in her eyes, and I know she'll be a great dog over the coming years.

    Lab #1 was Cooper. In the Dog Hall of Fame. His VORD (Value Over Replacement Dog) was off the charts. Lived to be 12. Lab #2 was Elsa. Great dog, a little ditzy, but unbelievably loyal and loving. She lived to be 13. 25 years of lab so far. For both of them, the decision to have them put down was a hard one. Both times, the decline was sure, the end was something that just couldn't be put off any longer.

    Both times, we sat out in the yard for the whole morning. They let the sun hit them, lifted their noses into the breeze to catch a waft of whatever critter was about, and looked at me like "what are we doing today, boss?". Took a walk, peed a couple times (as well as their bad hips would let them), barked at a squirrel, let a neighbor scratch their ears. Both times, I had to help them into the car. And both times, the vet whisked us into a room so I wouldn't have to sit out in the waiting room with the masses. And then both times, I scratched their ears and head and told them they were good dogs as the vet rigged up the IV. He nodded to me and I said OK and he pushed in the plunger and that was that. Shook his hand, the staff gave me their condolences, and I'd go out to my car and sob like a baby. Tore me up bad. And if the gods allow, I'll probably take Harper on that same car ride in about 12-14 years. You just can't come into this world without going out. All part of the deal of being a dog owner. You owe it to them to give them a good end.
    Can you believe that I've never had to make that drive?

    At least, not yet.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  5. #19
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,297

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah. We're on labrador retriever #3. We named her Harper. She's 16 weeks old now. Great dog, already a great companion, boundless energy, can already see the intelligence in her eyes, and I know she'll be a great dog over the coming years.

    Lab #1 was Cooper. In the Dog Hall of Fame. His VORD (Value Over Replacement Dog) was off the charts. Lived to be 12. Lab #2 was Elsa. Great dog, a little ditzy, but unbelievably loyal and loving. She lived to be 13. 25 years of lab so far. For both of them, the decision to have them put down was a hard one. Both times, the decline was sure, the end was something that just couldn't be put off any longer.

    Both times, we sat out in the yard for the whole morning. They let the sun hit them, lifted their noses into the breeze to catch a waft of whatever critter was about, and looked at me like "what are we doing today, boss?". Took a walk, peed a couple times (as well as their bad hips would let them), barked at a squirrel, let a neighbor scratch their ears. Both times, I had to help them into the car. And both times, the vet whisked us into a room so I wouldn't have to sit out in the waiting room with the masses. And then both times, I scratched their ears and head and told them they were good dogs as the vet rigged up the IV. He nodded to me and I said OK and he pushed in the plunger and that was that. Shook his hand, the staff gave me their condolences, and I'd go out to my car and sob like a baby. Tore me up bad. And if the gods allow, I'll probably take Harper on that same car ride in about 12-14 years. You just can't come into this world without going out. All part of the deal of being a dog owner. You owe it to them to give them a good end.
    I can't even imagine doing that. I am on dog #4.5 but the others were family dogs so I didn't have to deal with the hard part. My family always had dogs growing up, the first dog was the best one. One we had to give away to a farm and another we had to put down. He was a great dog, just not good with other people. When I was away at college my parents got dog .5. I guess I call him a half because he is 10 pounds and not really my dog.

    My wife and I got a lab mix, Palmer, last Feb. We were engage at the time and just getting settled into our new house. Needles to say a 6 week old lab was quite interesting. We have grown with the dog and I can't imagine not waking up to his nose in the morning or being mobbed when I walk in the front door.

    Just the other day the wife and I were having an argument. All of a sudden Palmer runs up stairs and hides under a table. When I went up to get him he gave me that look saying "you better stop this right now". Its funny how a little 4 legged animal can put things in perspective without even being able to talk.

    Wheels I feel for you in making your decision. In the end I believe the dog will tell you when he/she is ready. Enjoy as much time with your dog as possible.

  6. #20
    Member Red Heeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cookeville, TN
    Posts
    1,659

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    First advice would be to get one of the nodules biopsied. It may not even be a mast cell tumor, and you may be worrying for nothing. If they are mast cell tumors, you might want to look into the chemo option a little further. Chemo for dogs is not like it is in humans. With humans, the physicians are willing to take you to the brink of death with the drugs in order to cure the cancer. In dogs, veterinarians are only looking to knock the cancer back and prolong life. The doses are lighter and the side effects MUCH less severe. If your veterinarian doesn't do a lot of cancer treatment, find somebody who does or ask her to consult with an oncologist.

    I am strictly an equine vet, and I haven't worked on a dog since I graduated vet school, but I seem to remember that high dose vitamin C was also a treatment option for mast cell tumors. You may want to ask your veterinarian about that, too.

    Regardless of the situation, euthanasia is always a tough choice. I've seen owners who allowed their animals to live in misery just so they wouldn't have to bear the strain of the decision. Animals live for the day. When the bad days start out numbering the good days, it is time to let them go.

    Good luck to you and your dog.

  7. #21
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,606

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    I had a golden retriever who was diagnosed with lymphoma at age 8. We did chemo with him for 18 months. Other than the first and last weeks you never would have known he was ill. For the most part dogs handle chemo better than people. He was able to even go to the park for a walk two days before he passed away at home. After he rallied a week into chemo I always thought he could rally again. Fortunately he never seemed in much pain. He just eventually got lethargic and stopped eating a few days before he died.

  8. #22
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,886

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah. We're on labrador retriever #3. We named her Harper. She's 16 weeks old now. Great dog, already a great companion, boundless energy, can already see the intelligence in her eyes, and I know she'll be a great dog over the coming years.

    Lab #1 was Cooper. In the Dog Hall of Fame. His VORD (Value Over Replacement Dog) was off the charts. Lived to be 12. Lab #2 was Elsa. Great dog, a little ditzy, but unbelievably loyal and loving. She lived to be 13. 25 years of lab so far. For both of them, the decision to have them put down was a hard one. Both times, the decline was sure, the end was something that just couldn't be put off any longer.

    Both times, we sat out in the yard for the whole morning. They let the sun hit them, lifted their noses into the breeze to catch a waft of whatever critter was about, and looked at me like "what are we doing today, boss?". Took a walk, peed a couple times (as well as their bad hips would let them), barked at a squirrel, let a neighbor scratch their ears. Both times, I had to help them into the car. And both times, the vet whisked us into a room so I wouldn't have to sit out in the waiting room with the masses. And then both times, I scratched their ears and head and told them they were good dogs as the vet rigged up the IV. He nodded to me and I said OK and he pushed in the plunger and that was that. Shook his hand, the staff gave me their condolences, and I'd go out to my car and sob like a baby. Tore me up bad. And if the gods allow, I'll probably take Harper on that same car ride in about 12-14 years. You just can't come into this world without going out. All part of the deal of being a dog owner. You owe it to them to give them a good end.
    Good stuff, Roy Tucker. The "VORD" was the cherry on top.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

  9. #23
    Member SandyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Kenner , LA
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    My sister is facing that with a 16 year old cocker spaniel. It's time. My sister knows it. Her husband doesn't. The does not seem to be in pain ... unless she moves, which she doesn't really do any more. She can't see or hear. Mostly sleeps. It's really sad. She howls when she needs to go outside, and they have to pick her up and take her outside.

    Best of luck to you wheels. I know it's not easy.

  10. #24
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,681

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    First advice would be to get one of the nodules biopsied. It may not even be a mast cell tumor, and you may be worrying for nothing. If they are mast cell tumors, you might want to look into the chemo option a little further. Chemo for dogs is not like it is in humans. With humans, the physicians are willing to take you to the brink of death with the drugs in order to cure the cancer. In dogs, veterinarians are only looking to knock the cancer back and prolong life. The doses are lighter and the side effects MUCH less severe. If your veterinarian doesn't do a lot of cancer treatment, find somebody who does or ask her to consult with an oncologist.

    I am strictly an equine vet, and I haven't worked on a dog since I graduated vet school, but I seem to remember that high dose vitamin C was also a treatment option for mast cell tumors. You may want to ask your veterinarian about that, too.

    Regardless of the situation, euthanasia is always a tough choice. I've seen owners who allowed their animals to live in misery just so they wouldn't have to bear the strain of the decision. Animals live for the day. When the bad days start out numbering the good days, it is time to let them go.

    Good luck to you and your dog.

    Thanks for the advice.

    I'm definitely going to ask her what she thinks of the vitamin C option.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    714

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    I had a golden retriever growing up. Luckily I was in college in her elder years when she had to be put down. That would hav ebeen tough. My wife and I got a lab mix a year and a half ago. Best dog I've ever been around. She's only a year and a half and I don't even want to think about the day where she has to go.

    Anyone here seen Marley & Me? I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I went to see that. I was crying like a 5 year old girl.

  12. #26
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,681

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    I had a golden retriever growing up. Luckily I was in college in her elder years when she had to be put down. That would hav ebeen tough. My wife and I got a lab mix a year and a half ago. Best dog I've ever been around. She's only a year and a half and I don't even want to think about the day where she has to go.

    Anyone here seen Marley & Me? I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I went to see that. I was crying like a 5 year old girl.

    You should never watch those dog movies, man.

    I learned that after watching "My Dog Skip".
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    714

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    You should never watch those dog movies, man.

    I learned that after watching "My Dog Skip".
    That's some wise advice, lesson learned.

  14. #28
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,599

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    Old Yeller
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  15. #29
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,773

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    I was watching "Blood in the Water" yesterday (first show of Discovery's 2009 Shark Week!!!). It was about the 1916 New Jersey shark attacks - 5 attacks in 13 days.

    The first victim went swimming with a dog out to sea. I was afraid it was the dog that was going to get it. Luckily it was just the human, cause if it was the dog I really would have been bummed.

    Like in Jaws when Pippit gets attacked!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

  16. #30
    Ripsnort wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    7,681

    Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

    Well.

    Today was the day. I can't tell you how awful I feel. I came home and started throwing things away and moving stuff around.

    I'm not saying this is the worst thing ever, but.

    I don't wanna sit at home, and I don't want to go out because I can't stop crying.

    I haven't cried since 2003. This is not fun.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25