Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

Re: A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

Sorry about your loss, wheels.

I've been there before, and it's brutal to go through. Just hang in there though the best you can, and eventually the pain and sadness will subside a bit and you'll start to look back on all the great memories and be able to smile.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Remember the good times and know that your puppy is in a better place. I am sorry to hear it was so quick.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

My dog's 7, and still has lots of good dog in her. I can't even imagine going through what you are 4-5 years down the line.

Really sorry to hear your loss, these types of things really hit home with me.

Really sorry, Wheels.

Your dog was lucky to have you as a master. Loyalty goes both ways.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Hang in there, wheels. Losing an unconditionally loving companion is tough. I've been there and really feel for your loss.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Thanks to everyone.

It's supposed to be kinda silly, right?

Why would I feel sad that I can't tell my boy to "watch the house" as I was leaving for the night, knowing he'd bark, and probably scare someone away, but never bite them.

Why would I feel secure knowing that I had a vigilant buddy that would sound the alarm should someone try to harm us?

They're just evil Pit Bulls, right?

It couldn't be that they're in bred to the point of sickness, trained by ruthless measure to fight when they deem fit when they're young. Broken legs, poor nutrition, scratches and bruises all over them with no hope of anyone to save them.

Who cares? Throw em away. They don't deserve a chance to show that they were once a proud breed, American Bred, "Petie, from the Little Rascals, and damn proud to call you their pop".

Forget it. They're dangerous, no matter their history. Throw 'em away.

Well...I don't see it that way. I blame those dirty scoundrels for ruining an entire breed of animal.

Casey came from a bad place, but it was my responsibility to him and to others to make sure nothing bad ever happened. Everyone that came into contact with him was automatically disarmed by his vociferous charm and I am proud to say that I was an owner of an American Staffordshire Terrier.

Will I own one again? Probably not. They're too much work. They're needy, loud, and unruly.

Was Casey dangerous? Not to people, but I never let him off his leash long enough to find out. That was my responsibility.

It's just a shame it had to come to that, and I don't blame the breed. I blame people like Michael Vick, and others that think dog fighting is a sport, and that it was okay to throw the animals away like so much garbage, not worrying about the consequences. Michael Vick and his colleagues are the true savages, not the noble breed of dog they've damned to lives of persecution.

It's something akin to genocide, or at least eugenics.

That's the way I feel, anyway. I don't particularly care if I'm right.

I know I did what was best for him.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

I am sorry that you had to experience the outcome. I have been through that also with a pet 4-5 years ago. I know the unexplainable emotions that that one experiences with it all to well.

I know I did what was best for him
    Yes, you did. Hope you start to remember all the good things soon.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Yes, you did. Hope you start to remember all the good things soon.
    That's what I'm hoping for.

I need to get yesterday's images out of my head.

Stuck with me for a while, too, but I had a dog that really suffered and hung on much too long when I was younger. That image was much uglier. It really is the right thing to do. Hang in there.

John Wooden

It's hard to be strong when life gives us these terrible circumstances. You were strong for your dog, Wheels. You stood up when he needed you to.

You did the right thing for him. To let him suffer because it would have been easier for you would have been letting him down. You didn't.

You're a good man, and you both were lucky to have one another as long as you did.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    It's hard to be strong when life gives us these terrible circumstances. You were strong for your dog, Wheels. You stood up when he needed you to.

You did the right thing for him. To let him suffer because it would have been easier for you would have been letting him down. You didn't.

You're a good man, and you both were lucky to have one another as long as you did.

So well spoken and meant.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

Thanks.

It will be very cool to meet you in a few weeks.

I have working dogs on my farm. Only one at a time, but we have kept a Border Collie on the farm for about the last 70 years. We can name them all: Shep, Ned, King, Ed(great great grandson of Ned), Skip, Nellie and Lex. They are there every day, they don't take nights off to go to basketball games, or go out with girlfriends. They don't get mad and yell, because the cows ruined the planned dinner date. They will stay there on nights when cows are having calves until 2am. They are up the next morning at 5am when you are.

King saved my Grandfather from an attack by the last bull to ever walk on our farm forty years ago. He charged in and tore a piece of the bulls nose off, because the bull was trying to smash my Grandfather against a wall.

Ed was the dog of my childhood, I remember him riding shotgun with my grandpa in his truck. Ed got old and was deaf, the vet suggested putting him down, and my grandpa couldn't do it. Two days later, my grandma backed over him in the driveway. He walked right into the path of the car. Terrible.

We knew Skip was sick towards the end, and then he disappeared, it was summer and the corn was tall, we looked for him but never found him.

Nellie got stomach cancer, my dad was in love with that dog, she was the first one that was ever "his", he tried to save her because she was young, only seven. She even went to the Ohio State Vet Clinic, he ran up quite a bill, but there was nothing that could be done for her. I remember her last day well, she tried to do her job, which was helping to get the cows in the milking parlor. A job she loved. She tripped and fell down twice, and a boss cow realized she wasn't doing well, and hit her pretty hard. Nellie wasn't hurt but it was obvious that she wasn't doing well. We put her down that afternoon. I remember it was a sunny day in September. I have never seen my father cry, and he sobbed, I had to give him a hug. He buried her that afternoon, but refused my help because he didn't want me to see him that out of sorts.

Dad got Lex, two weeks later. Lex was a 18 months when we got him. He had been pick of the litter, and his new owner had started training him for the national championships, when he had a heart attack. The owner survived but was very feeble, and Lex was basically left in his kennel for a year. Mutual friends put us together and Lex came to our farm, seven years ago. He is still a little anti social, but loves my dad, he worships the ground my dad walks on. He is known for stealing gloves during the winter and burying them in manure, only to produce them in the spring.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I have working dogs on my farm. Only one at a time, but we have kept a Border Collie on the farm for about the last 70 years. We can name them all: Shep, Ned, King, Ed(great great grandson of Ned), Skip, Nellie and Lex. They are there every day, they don't take nights off to go to basketball games, or go out with girlfriends. They don't get mad and yell, because the cows ruined the planned dinner date. They will stay there on nights when cows are having calves until 2am. They are up the next morning at 5am when you are.

King saved my Grandfather from an attack by the last bull to ever walk on our farm forty years ago. He charged in and tore a piece of the bulls nose off, because the bull was trying to smash my Grandfather against a wall.

Ed was the dog of my childhood, I remember him riding shotgun with my grandpa in his truck. Ed got old and was deaf, the vet suggested putting him down, and my grandpa couldn't do it. Two days later, my grandma backed over him in the driveway. He walked right into the path of the car. Terrible.

We knew Skip was sick towards the end, and then he disappeared, it was summer and the corn was tall, we looked for him but never found him.

Nellie got stomach cancer, my dad was in love with that dog, she was the first one that was ever "his", he tried to save her because she was young, only seven. She even went to the Ohio State Vet Clinic, he ran up quite a bill, but there was nothing that could be done for her. I remember her last day well, she tried to do her job, which was helping to get the cows in the milking parlor. A job she loved. She tripped and fell down twice, and a boss cow realized she wasn't doing well, and hit her pretty hard. Nellie wasn't hurt but it was obvious that she wasn't doing well. We put her down that afternoon. I remember it was a sunny day in September. I have never seen my father cry, and he sobbed, I had to give him a hug. He buried her that afternoon, but refused my help because he didn't want me to see him that out of sorts.

Dad got Lex, two weeks later. Lex was a 18 months when we got him. He had been pick of the litter, and his new owner had started training him for the national championships, when he had a heart attack. The owner survived but was very feeble, and Lex was basically left in his kennel for a year. Mutual friends put us together and Lex came to our farm, seven years ago. He is still a little anti social, but loves my dad, he worships the ground my dad walks on. He is known for stealing gloves during the winter and burying them in manure, only to produce them in the spring.
    Great stories.

There is something special about dogs and the country. They just love it out there. I've never met a "city" dog. They're all just good old country folk on the inside.

Turn Off Ads?