Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 Candidates Announced for 2010 Reds Hall of Fame Induction

10 Candidates Announced for 2010 Reds Hall of Fame Induction

Reds Hall of Fame ballot
    Posted by JohnFay at 7/29/2009 11:36 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

From the Reds:

10 Candidates Announced for 2010 Reds Hall of Fame Induction

Fans will choose the next Reds Hall of Famer on ballot sponsored by Cincyfavorites.com

CINCINNATI (July 29, 2009) – The Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum has announced the ten former Reds players who will appear on the Modern Player Ballot for induction into the Reds Hall of Fame in 2010.

Modern Player Candidates are: Bret Boone, Jeff Brantley, Norm Charlton, John Franco, Danny Graves, Kevin Mitchell, Hal Morris, Paul O’Neill, Chris Sabo, and Scott Sullivan.

To be eligible and considered for the ballot, the players must:

- Have played in at least three seasons with the Reds

- Have played within the last 13 years

- Be in at least their third year of retirement

Fans may cast their ballots from August 1 through September 2 at ballot boxes located at:

- Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum

- Great American Ball Park

- Participating Skyline locations

- Online at reds.com/HOF

The player receiving the most fan votes will be honored with induction as part of the Reds Hall of Fame’s Class of 2010. Fans can vote for up to three players.

Eligible players, managers and executives from more than 13 years ago will be considered for the Veterans Ballot and selected by the Veterans Committee.

Together, the Modern Player Ballot and Veterans Ballot results will comprise the 2010 Induction Class and will be announced later this year.

“The fans have been an integral part of Hall of Fame elections dating back to the first class in 1958,” said Hall of Fame executive director Rick Walls. “We are pleased to have the fans continue to play a significant role in determining ‘their’ next Hall of Famer.”

One lucky voter will receive two tickets to the 2010 Induction event, a “Super Cincinnati!” package from Cincyfavorites.com and a baseball signed by the 2010 class.

About the Reds Hall of Fame:

Established in 1958, The Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame is the oldest continually operating team Hall of Fame in all of baseball. Since its inception, 75 players, managers and executives have been honored with induction to the Reds Hall of Fame. The Reds Hall of Fame and Museum features 15,000 square feet of historical, interactive and educational exhibits, highlighting the rich and storied tradition of the Cincinnati Reds

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 10 Candidates Announced for 2010 Reds Hall of Fame Induction

Brantley would get my vote. ERA+ of 159 during his tenure here.

Franco's my pick; six years, 528 innings pitched, a 153 ERA+ and 148 saves is pretty solid.

And BTW, if people rail against steroid users making Cooperstown, then they should also rail against Hal Morris reaching 100 Joe Nuxhall Way.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Man.........only 3 seasons as a Red, has this been the standard in the past? I mean, as much as I like Paul O'Neill, he's a Yankee for God's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Franco's my pick; six years, 528 innings pitched, a 153 ERA+ and 148 saves is pretty solid.

And BTW, if people rail against steroid users making Cooperstown, then they should also rail against Hal Morris reaching 100 Joe Nuxhall Way.
    Wasn't Boonie caught as well?

Franco would be my choice as well.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Boone, Graves, or Sullivan.

In my mind Franco was a Met and O'Niel was a Yankee. Brantley was a good pitcher but I don't really think him as a Red.

I think the list isn't to HOF worthy, but if i had to pick one it would be Franco.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

My choice this year would be John Franco but I would like to see Scott Sullivan get in someday. He was an absolute workhorse out of the bullpen for a few years.

Franco should be a lock. Those of us who remember him playing do not need an explanation. I have never seen a Reds reliever with more intestinal fortitude.

As much as it hurts to say, Graves is the Reds all-time saves leader...
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    As much as it hurts to say, Graves is the Reds all-time saves leader...
    That is true.....

....but Franco was much, much better....

....he also pitched in many, many non-save situations, and presumably many situations where his manager had wagered on the outcome of the game, thereby putting him under intense pressure....

Can we make this a poll? You get to vote for 3 guys only.

Danny Graves
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    ....but Franco was much, much better....

....he also pitched in many, many non-save situations, and presumably many situations where his manager had wagered on the outcome of the game, thereby putting him under intense pressure....
    That's true, but I wonder how many people voting will remember Franco as anything more than a Met and the piece that brought us Randy Myers.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

If I had to pick one I would go with Franco. In his six seasons with the Reds he was on three NL all star teams, lead the NL one season in saves with 39, and was the Rolaids relief man of the year in 1988.
    When I checked his record I was surprised by how well Brantley pitched during his years years with Cincinnati, but Franco was here longer, and, while I can't prove it by the numbers I still think Franco was better. Brantley was here during a down time for the team.
    Yep, Graves is the Reds career saves leader and had a few good seasons, but I would pass on him initially. Wait a year or two.
    Paul O'Neill was here 8 seasons, including full years with the Reds from 1985 through 1992. He was a key member of the 1990 world champions. Yes, he had his greatest seasons in Yankee pinstripes, but he should eventually be in the Reds HOF.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?