Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,007

    Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    and wondering why we couldnt have done something similar? The phills got to keep their Top talent and still got Lee.......The M's got Ian snell who might turn out to be special or might turn out a bum, either way the M's got rid of a few guys that will never sniff their roster and picked up a starting SS who is a stop gap until a minor leaguer can handle it and grabbed snell.......The Cards gave up our equivalent of Yonder Alonso and now have Matt H and they will more than likely have the lead when it comes to Free Agency, they might not sign him but they will for sure be the front runners and all it cost them was a guy that "MIGHT" not ever make the major league club, its a big cost if Matt signs elsewhere but if they can sign him and he works out then its money........

    I just dont understand all this stuff comming out of Walts mouth about not trading way our future.......I am here to tell ya walt, we dont have a future. You get a future by doing what it takes to win now..And if giving up Tonder Alonzo and a few AA guys and a few A guys means that we would be looking at Cliff Lee, Matt Holiday and Ian Snell.......then I say do it and do it again. Even if it meant Holiday and Lee were only here for the rest of the year....If we would have brought those guys in a month ago, where would we be now? The point I am trying to make is you play to win and win now.....

  2. #2
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,216

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    I think it's a tough call at times. In the Cards example you gave, there's no way I'd give up Alonso in a deal for Holliday, who I don't believe is good enough to put put the Reds over the hump. It would take 2 or 3 big moves to do that IMO.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    you wouldnt take Holiday in our little pop stand of a park? Hey, its all opinions anyway. I respect yours....IMO, Matt would flourish in a park like this where long fly balls tend to make their way to the stands.....Even on Holidays bad years, he is still pretty above average and he plays LF......Yonder "might" make it to the majors in a few years and he might not....and he can only play 1st which just happens to be where our MVP plays. I would make that trade 10-10 times.....but thats me. I am not sure MH is worth 20 mil/year but he who knows. We will see.....

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    lets look at it from another standpoint.....each year we hear the FO say that we are building and we wont sell off our future prospects.....JayB was untouchable, homer was untouchable....How many current Reds starters were a part of our minor leagues for at least 1 full year before they were a member of the starting 9? Or even bench players included?

    I think I can make the argument that even your most prized talent in the minors rarely pans out the way you think it will pan out. My thougt is you can sell that talent at a high price and spend some money on "PROVEN" talent that is aleready playing......For every Joey Votto there are 10 Brandon Larson's. It seems the Cards have taken this theory and are starting to run with it. Maybe Yonder is your guy you dont touch, but that dont mean you cant trade Heisy and stubbs.....or even Homer if the price is right.....

    I dont know, maybe I am just mad that the reds suck

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mt. Lookout
    Posts
    240

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    I think you are a little off base here. First of all we are in 5th place and in no position to be buyers at this point. Secondly, we finally have a few talented prospects in the minors, I don't think we should take that for granted. Sure, we could afford to sell of a prospect maybe, but whats the point right now. If anything I think we should be trading for a pitching prospect
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    so you would not trade these guys for Cliff Lee, which is the equilvalent to what the Phils gave for him.

    Chris Valaika
    Andrew Bowman
    Corky Miller
    Daryl Thompson


    Or how about these guys for Matt Holiday? And I think our talent is better than the Talent that the Cards offered.

    Yonder Alonzo
    Darnell McDonald


    My whole point behind this argument is Walt is holding tight with these prospects and thats fine, but not every stinking one of them....We could have easily traded the above prospects for Cliff lee and Matt Holiday and even if only till the end of the year, this team would be in another position right now and instead of watching Deadliest Catch re-runs tonight, I would be excited to turn on Chris Welch. Honestly, here who would not make those trades? Could you imagine the buzz around Ctown if this was our team...and a rotation of Volquez,Cueto,bailey,harang or arroyo then Lee...WOW.....

    And the worst part of this all is this is not some wild fantasy dream....this is reality. Does Walt truly hold our prospects that high or is he just stupid and did not even try to make those deals?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,080

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    so you would not trade these guys for Cliff Lee, which is the equilvalent to what the Phils gave for him.

    Chris Valaika
    Andrew Bowman
    Corky Miller
    Daryl Thompson


    Or how about these guys for Matt Holiday? And I think our talent is better than the Talent that the Cards offered.

    Yonder Alonzo
    Darnell McDonald


    My whole point behind this argument is Walt is holding tight with these prospects and thats fine, but not every stinking one of them....We could have easily traded the above prospects for Cliff lee and Matt Holiday and even if only till the end of the year, this team would be in another position right now and instead of watching Deadliest Catch re-runs tonight, I would be excited to turn on Chris Welch. Honestly, here who would not make those trades? Could you imagine the buzz around Ctown if this was our team...and a rotation of Volquez,Cueto,bailey,harang or arroyo then Lee...WOW.....

    And the worst part of this all is this is not some wild fantasy dream....this is reality. Does Walt truly hold our prospects that high or is he just stupid and did not even try to make those deals?
    That is not at all the equivalent of what what the phils gave up. Try something like...
    Frazier
    Heisey/Stubbs
    Bailey
    and someone else

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,282

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    These discussions seem to forget one important fact, I doubt any of these players would ever want to or agree to come to Cincy to play.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    These discussions seem to forget one important fact, I doubt any of these players would ever want to or agree to come to Cincy to play.
    Did Lee and Holiday have no trade clauses? Maybe they did, I guess Inever looked into that.....

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,282

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    Did Lee and Holiday have no trade clauses? Maybe they did, I guess Inever looked into that.....
    I dont know that for fact either, just thinking it seems they have the time in to have it, but havent bothered to look.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

  11. #11
    .377 in 1905 CySeymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Carmel, IN
    Posts
    2,256

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    Give up Alonso for 2 months of Holiday? No thank you.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    Give up Alonso for 2 months of Holiday? No thank you.

    I do agree, that is a steep price.....But was you saying the same thing a few years back when the Yankees were wanting us to give them Brandon larson? We thought he was untouchable.....what about CJ Nitkowski? NOONE could have him, he was the future. I could go on and on......Yonder Alonso might be an allstar some day, I dont know.....never hardly even watched him play....But I do know the kid has a major uphill battle to climb to make this team. The odds are clearly stacked against him becomming better than Mat Holiday. Even if it means we only have him the rest of the year, I would hope he would give us 1st negotiating rights and that might be enough to keep him....if not, we go get another Yonder Alonzo in the draft. You can build for the future all you want but at some point you have to play for the present.

  13. #13
    .377 in 1905 CySeymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Carmel, IN
    Posts
    2,256

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I do agree, that is a steep price.....But was you saying the same thing a few years back when the Yankees were wanting us to give them Brandon larson? We thought he was untouchable.....what about CJ Nitkowski? NOONE could have him, he was the future. I could go on and on......Yonder Alonso might be an allstar some day, I dont know.....never hardly even watched him play....But I do know the kid has a major uphill battle to climb to make this team. The odds are clearly stacked against him becomming better than Mat Holiday. Even if it means we only have him the rest of the year, I would hope he would give us 1st negotiating rights and that might be enough to keep him....if not, we go get another Yonder Alonzo in the draft. You can build for the future all you want but at some point you have to play for the present.
    I have no idea what previous trades you are talking about. But 2 months of Babe Ruth reincarnated wouldn't supply us with enough offense to pull out of this and get back into the race this year. So why give up our #1 prospect for 2 months of a player who at this point is just decent who probably won't sign for next year? I really fail to see the logic here.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    Big Klu.....I do agree that is alot to give up.....I am taking into consideration that matt Holiday might have given the Reds 1st rights to get him signed.....He has already said the same to the Cards......and a Matt Holiday in our park at 16mill/20mill/year might be worth it for a guy we never know if he will sniff our roster or not.....thats my thinking....I'll gladly eat my words if Yonder comes up here and out preforms Matt Holiday

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,198

    Re: Am I the only one looking at all these trades

    Your prospect evaluation skills are lacking lidspinner...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

    Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25