Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selig considering pardon for Rose

Selig considering pardon for Rose

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...pete_rose.html

It's always been my contention that if Pete Rose isn't in the Hall of Fame, there shouldn't be a Hall of Fame.

Drug addicts getting 5/6/7 chances, other cheats, scoundrels and miscreants in the hall, now all the talks of the "astericks" players.

Yes, he should have been banned for what he did.
    However, his accomplishments can't be denied. He's the hit king. Nobody will ever even sniff in the general vicinity of that record. If THAT can't get in the Hall, it loses all luster IMO.

20 years is WAAAAY longer than necessary for "paying your debt to society".
    Sure, he could have been more contrite, stepped up earlier, etc, etc...
    Time to Move on.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Selig considering pardon for Rose

I agree 100%, its not the hall of good behaviors, if your going to let the rest in ya gotta start with Rose. Maybe trying to save face now knowing the druggies are coming soon?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I really honestly couldnt care less. He's a stain on the Reds. He was a great player, seems to really enjoy baseball, but he made the biggest mistake you can make in baseball and he deserves what he got.

Selig is just contemplating removing the ban so the roiders get an easier shot at the hall.

^swung through a 3-0 pitch? threw behind a runner?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Pete played for over 20 years. I am certain he did both at least once. No reason to keep him out of the hall.

I have always thought it was a joke the way the hall doesn't include banned players. It doen't make sense to me to ignore their accomplishments. Put on their plaque that they were banned, but don't just ignore what they've done.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    he made the biggest mistake you can make in baseball.
    That's the biggest mistake in baseball?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Crosley Field Fan

Enough is enough. I've been around long enough to remember Rose as the player, the obnoxious, arrogant, unlikeable arse that he was and probably still is. There is no love lost from me for Rose.

However, Given the time served in the suspension and comparing that to a jail term, nearly anyone not on death row would have had a darn good chance to get released by now.

He can't do anything further to the sport. No one is going to hire him at this point in any visible position.

I've learned over my years to forgive and not hold judgment over others indefinitely for mistakes in the past. While I thought him guilty at the time, there is little point in continuing to judge him for past transgressions.

Bottom Line...he has served his time and I agree with all those above when I say you can't have a credible Hall of Fame without enshrinement of the all time hits leader. Baseball and it's HOF have a long history of rogues over the years. Many Hall of Famers like Ty Cobb would not be in the Hall of Fame if their career were judged in the light of today.

There are a couple of Hall of Fame players who will protest. My guess is that many of them would not protest as much if the back stories on their careers in MLB were ever revealed to the public. We have not had many saints in baseball.

Besides, Selig is a former Used Car salesman...it's not like he has the perfect "10" history himself.

Selig just needs to reinstate Rose and get it over with.
    In all probability the writers or veterans committee (whoever has current jurisdiction) will make him jump more hoops before they ever let him in.

As long as he is banned...Rose will be a more sympathetic figure than he has any right to be.

Reinstate him and move along.

I recall reading (in Reston's book?, Collision at the Plate?) that when Rose agreed to be suspended for life he was offered a choice by Giamatti. Lifetime ban or 7 year ban. Why did he take life? Because Giamiatti told him if 'reconfigured his life' he could apply for reinstatement after one year. Rose thought, arrogantly and foolishly IMHO, that he'd get reinstated after a year and didn't want to sit out for 7 long years when he'd been in MLB from 1963-1989 continuously as a player/manager. Of course, he's never really reconfigured his life in the way that Giamatti meant, so he'd have waited a long time to get back in.

Of course Giamatti died right away and Vincent, who hated him for being a scumbag and for stressing Giamatti to death (in Vincent's opinion), never gave Rose a chance to get back in. IMO had Bart Giamatti not died, he'd have relented eventually (certainly not within one year and maybe not within 7 years) and let Rose back in. I think that Giammati wanted to ban Rose for a long time, but not forever (hence the 7 year ban that he offered Rose); he wanted to make an example of Rose. That has been done and Selig can in good conscience let Rose back in.

Finally, in my opinion the rule against gambling should have a bit more nuance. Throwing World Series games is the worst thing. Betting to win spring training games is fairly benign. Rose was in between, so he should get something less than the Black Sox penalty. 20 years is plenty on that scale.

Rose broke the highest rule of the game knowing the penalty for betting on baseball games. The only way he should be considered for reinstatement into baseball is if Selig is going to also reinstate all of the black sox and allow Shoeless Joe to be voted on for the Hall of Fame.

rose lied for how many years about betting on baseball and you expect me to believe he never bet on them to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    rose lied for how many years about betting on baseball and you expect me to believe he never bet on them to lose?
    I think its hard to believe anything Rose says. The guys who investigated him and the guys who ran his bets are the ones who say that all the betting they know about was to win. I'd say it seems inconsistent with his win at all costs personality to bet against the team he was managing.

The question that will likely determine if Rose ever gets in the HOF (if Selig reinstates him) is Rose's claim he only started betting as manager. I know that some of the guys in the hall (who vote as the Veterans Committee) think Rose actually started gambling at the tail end of his playing career and they view that as worse for a couple of reasons. One is the sustained lie about it. Second, is that he can't be allowed to slide on something he did as a player when evaluating whether his playing career merits induction in the HOF. There aren't any bet runners or bookies claiming otherwise, or other evidence that he bet as a player, but the suspicion is out there among former players and, as you say, you can't really believe a guy who has lied as much as Rose has that he only started gambling on baseball after he retired as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...pete_rose.html

It's always been my contention that if Pete Rose isn't in the Hall of Fame, there shouldn't be a Hall of Fame.

Drug addicts getting 5/6/7 chances, other cheats, scoundrels and miscreants in the hall, now all the talks of the "astericks" players.

Yes, he should have been banned for what he did.
    However, his accomplishments can't be denied. He's the hit king. Nobody will ever even sniff in the general vicinity of that record. If THAT can't get in the Hall, it loses all luster IMO.

20 years is WAAAAY longer than necessary for "paying your debt to society".
    Sure, he could have been more contrite, stepped up earlier, etc, etc...
    Time to Move on.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Are you willing to let Shoeless Joe in on the same day?

I wish he could be our manager again. I don't care if he bets on our team to win. Atleast we won when he was in charge.

Turn Off Ads?