Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds stats through 100 games

Reds stats through 100 games

Trade deadline week, Reds now 10 games under having lost 15 of the last 20. Team was .500 twenty games ago. 2-8 in last stretch including a six game wipe out in LA and Chic. Injuries have mounted with Hernandez, Hanigan, Owings, Burton and Dickerson all out along with Bruce and Volquez. Sutton, Tatum, Rosales, Roenicke all up. Manuel traded for a new outfielder who hopefully can hit. Reds are 9 games out of first place in Central.

Offense. Has gone from bad to worse. Team BA of .244 is next to last in the NL. OBP/SLG/BA are 14th in league at .313/.387/.701. These numbers have steadily declined of late. Twenty games ago the team's OPS was .715.

Pitching. Team's ERA in last twenty games has gone from 4.00 to current 4.43 which is 13th in the NL. Starting pitching in this period has gone from 4.38 to current 4.81 (now 13th in league). Bullpen now 3.59, held steady over last ten games.

Harang is 5-12 with 4.50; Arroyo is 10-10 with 5.17; Owings is 6-11 with 5.35. These three have combined for 61 of the team's 100 starts and are a combined 21 wins and 33 losses with a combined ERA of about 4.98.

Fielding. .982 FPCT with 66 errors. Four NL teams with more errors and FPCT is fourth-fifth from bottom of league. This is the same as last time. DER is now fifth best in NL, was fourth best last time.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-30-2009 at 11:20 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds stats through 100 games

Really glad this thread got started....

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ead+league+ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Really glad this thread got started....

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ead+league+ERA
    That thread does raise some questions.

Mainly, is the starting pitching bad, or are there other reasons for its recent poor showing?

IMO, it is not as bad as the numbers show. Volquez' absence has hurt. But also, the offense is so, so weak. Any pitching staff might ultimate slide back after a season of complete non-support.

The other big issue is Harang. I think it's fair to say that Cueto, Arroyo, and Owings have performed within the margin of expectancy. Owings is a bit disappointing lately, perhaps he was injured though.

But Harang's situation is just bizarre. No matter how well he pitches he never gets victories. This has been going on for years now. So now his ERA has slid back to 4.50. But even when it was 4, he can't win games.

Is he just good enough to lose? Have the Reds been tinkering with him as Welch said last night?

Somehow, I still think there is a good pitcher there, but it just isn't working out with Harang, and if he's not succeeding, then the top of the rotation is just Cueto and that's not enough.

So the issues to me are V's absence, Harang's situation, and the complete lack of run support.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Mainly, is the starting pitching bad, or are there other reasons for its recent poor showing?

IMO, it is not as bad as the numbers show. Volquez' absence has hurt. But also, the offense is so, so weak. Any pitching staff might ultimate slide back after a season of complete non-support.

The other big issue is Harang. I think it's fair to say that Cueto, Arroyo, and Owings have performed within the margin of expectancy. Owings is a bit disappointing lately, perhaps he was injured though.

But Harang's situation is just bizarre. No matter how well he pitches he never gets victories. This has been going on for years now. So now his ERA has slid back to 4.50. But even when it was 4, he can't win games.

Is he just good enough to lose? Have the Reds been tinkering with him as Welch said last night?

Somehow, I still think there is a good pitcher there, but it just isn't working out with Harang, and if he's not succeeding, then the top of the rotation is just Cueto and that's not enough.

So the issues to me are V's absence, Harang's situation, and the complete lack of run support.
    Hey, remember when the problem was the defense?

Yeah, I do too.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

I think the pitching is actually worse than it's ERA indicates. The defense has helped out quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I think the pitching is actually worse than it's ERA indicates. The defense has helped out quite a bit.
    Park factor?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Park factor?
    Kind of comes out in the wash. In which case, the ERA is probably pretty representative. Which is to say, it's not good.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?