Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty snaps at last

Dusty snaps at last

Read John Fay's blog at Cincinnat.com. Dusty said the team's performance was pitiful and embarrassing.

I hate to say this, but I think it is of his own making. I don't even know where to start.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty snaps at last

I'm sure he takes no blame. He did it in San Fran, he did it in Chicago and nows hes going to try to throw the team and everyone else under the bus.

Next thing out of his mouth is "This isnt my team" or something of the sorts like he said last year.

Dusty's right, dude. Pitiful. Bigtime.

Is Dusty still here by the Dodgers' series ? end of August ?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I'm sure he takes no blame. He did it in San Fran, he did it in Chicago and nows hes going to try to throw the team and everyone else under the bus.

Next thing out of his mouth is "This isnt my team" or something of the sorts like he said last year.
    It's NOT his fault!! you can't be serious? I don't think Chuck Norris could win with this team, lol. Seriously though, this team is pathetic, there is no way you can format this roster in a way it would be a successful team. You can thank the front office for this garbage product on the field, not Dusty Baker. He hasn't been costing them games, the outmatched levels of talent they've been playing against. If anyone thinks the losing is Dusty's fault, they either just want him to be the scapegoat, or truly believe it, and have a lack of baseball intelligence. You realize this team probably has 2 offensive players that would start on MLB teams outside of this city? and he's expected to win with that? give me a break!

Dusty is not a solution thats all I'm saying. He has no understanding of simple baseball concepts, and has he takes weeks to see what the average fan sees when it comes to players struggling or not. Not to mention if you ask him something about a player he never has a legit idea what hes talking about.

Lets not forget just last year he said this

"This guy is tough on lefties," Baker said. "[Adam] Dunn has been pretty good [against Maholm] and Griff hasn't. I'm just trying to find a way to get some right-handers in there. Griff will be back in there tomorrow. The guy tomorrow, [Zach Duke], has been tough on Dunn. Jerry [Hairston] and [Jeff] Keppinger are just getting their strokes together, and [so is] Edwin [Encarnacion]"

may I remind you this is what the numbers really were at the time.

Vs. Maholm:
    Dunn 3-for-22 with zero extra base hits and 9 strike outs
    Griffey 5-for-18 with 1 home run

Vs. Duke:
    Dunn 5-for-9
    Griffey 1-for-6

Yes this guy is a terrible manager and a big time idiot. No excuses for it.

Dusty is not a solution thats all I'm saying. He has no understanding of simple baseball concepts, and has he takes weeks to see what the average fan sees when it comes to players struggling or not. Not to mention if you ask him something about a player he never has a legit idea what hes talking about.

Lets not forget just last year he said this

"This guy is tough on lefties," Baker said. "[Adam] Dunn has been pretty good [against Maholm] and Griff hasn't. I'm just trying to find a way to get some right-handers in there. Griff will be back in there tomorrow. The guy tomorrow, [Zach Duke], has been tough on Dunn. Jerry [Hairston] and [Jeff] Keppinger are just getting their strokes together, and [so is] Edwin [Encarnacion]"

may I remind you this is what the numbers really were at the time.

Vs. Maholm:
    Dunn 3-for-22 with zero extra base hits and 9 strike outs
    Griffey 5-for-18 with 1 home run

Vs. Duke:
    Dunn 5-for-9
    Griffey 1-for-6

Yes this guy is a terrible manager and a big time idiot. No excuses for it.

You said "bigtime". Dusty says "bigtime" too. A lot. Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    You said "bigtime". Dusty says "bigtime" too. A lot. Dude.

Dusty does not have the horses, to be sure, but that does not absolve him.

Three glaring examples of mismanagement tonight:

1)Putting Taveras in the lead off position. If anyone thinks that WT is the best CFer in the system fine (he's not). But to continue to slot him in the 1-hole with his .279 OBP is criminal. He bats Taveras one and (normally) Gonzalez two and can't figure out why the team doesn't score more (i.e. looks lackluster). A .279 OBP followed up by a .250 OBP. And they get the most at-bats. Tonight it was .279 OBP followed up by .304 OBP. Laughable at best. Strike one.
    2)He has Harang sacrifice in the sixth inning. Is Baker nuts? This team has had all of two baserunners to this point in the game, is trailing by four runs, has Willy Taveras sitting on-deck and Dusty is giving up outs. Inexcusable. Strike Two.
    3)He trots Harang out there to start the 8th inning when Aaron is already sitting at 110 pitches. Say What? This team is out of it. It has no shot of getting back back into contention. It is trailing by four runs in a meaningless game. And yet Dusty sends a pitcher out to start an inning with 110 pitches. Brutal. He did the very same thing last night with Arroyo. Bronson starts the 7th inning with a pitch count of 112. At least that game was tied. But what are the Reds playing for here? As you said this team is woefully out-talented and Dusty is out there riding those starters as long and as hard as he can. Indefensible.
    Strike Three.

Sorry, but Dusty needs to be out of here. Talent (or lack thereof) notwithstanding.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-30-2009 at 02:05 AM.

I said it in another post.If I were coach and I really felt that I had to bat the worst two hitters in all of baseball 1 and 2 I would just fire myself.

Maybe its not his fault but he did just that when he had other options.Dusty just has no clue.He can't motivate,he can't inspire and he sure can't coach.All he can do is stay on the players good side and when that is lost its time for him to go.

Actually I'll take that back.Baker should just be told that he is fired now but can stay on as intern manger until the Bats season is over so Sweet can finish what he started with the Bats.Then just fire him again when the time comes.Baker actually deserves to be fired twice and hey man, he would be the first dude to have ever accomplished that feat.What a way to end a coaching career.

The makeup of this team is not Dusty's fault, but I do question some of his moves. Just tonight by having Harang stay in and bunt in the 6th inning was
    ridiculous. Where was he going with that. We were down by 4 with only 12 outs left, and he wastes an out. IMO not too good of a move.

I think this team is in such bad shape mentally, that Dusty and the coaches will not be able to motivate this team at all. This is the lowest I have seen this team in many many years. Except for a few players, the majority of this team, including the manager and coaches, need to be fired, traded, released, or what have you. This is not going to be a quick fix. We could be looking at a few years.

In his defense, Chicago has always been a mess of a roster. No one is going to win there. . . not even Lou.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    The makeup of this team is not Dusty's fault,
    If acquiring Wily Taveras and continually batting him leadoff doesn't prove to you the Duster's influence on this team, I don't know what does.

This IS Dusty's team, through and through.
    Taveras, JHJ/Gonzalez/Janish/SS de jour de poo batting 2nd.

Nobody in their right mind would do that. IT IS Dusty's team.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

resign Dusty, save your pride and your career
    PROVE ME WRONG, REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    Dusty's right, dude. Pitiful. Bigtime.

Is Dusty still here by the Dodgers' series ? end of August ?
    Sure he is, he's paid for, the seasons pretty much in the books, and none of them seem to care.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?