Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How to get into coaching?

How to get into coaching?

I'm 29 years old and have been dying to get into coaching the game of baseball. Baseball is a true passion for me and I would love to share that passion with people wanting to learn the game. I need some advice on how to get into it. I am not a teacher, so that rules out public high school baseball in Kentucky, as far as I know. Any advice would be appreciated.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How to get into coaching?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I'm 29 years old and have been dying to get into coaching the game of baseball. Baseball is a true passion for me and I would love to share that passion with people wanting to learn the game. I need some advice on how to get into it. I am not a teacher, so that rules out public high school baseball in Kentucky, as far as I know. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I would try checking out your local summer leagues. They are usually always looking for coaches. I did it a couple years after I graduated and had my own team for 6 years. It also helps if you know some people involved with the leagues who can vouch for your baseball knowledge.

Good luck. I had a blast coaching and miss it every summer.

Yay!

I am sure a local high school coach would take you as a volunteer assistant or (lowly) paid assistant. Make some calls when school starts and see what you can find. Those guys are always looking for an extra set of eyes and another arm to throw bp. Also, don't know how far you are from Etown but there is a facility there called Players Dugout. The guy that runs it is very connected to local hs programs and summer teams. Good guy but his name escapes me at the moment. He may be a good resource for you.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I am sure a local high school coach would take you as a volunteer assistant or (lowly) paid assistant. Make some calls when school starts and see what you can find. Those guys are always looking for an extra set of eyes and another arm to throw bp. Also, don't know how far you are from Etown but there is a facility there called Players Dugout. The guy that runs it is very connected to local hs programs and summer teams. Good guy but his name escapes me at the moment. He may be a good resource for you.
    I'm about 45 minutes from Etown. I might call the local high school coaches and check it out. I don't know them as I am not originally from here. I thought about doing that before but wondered they may think I was crazy just volunteering to do it since I don't have a son and I would do it for nothing if I had to.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Yay!

I'm about 45 minutes from Etown. I might call the local high school coaches and check it out. I don't know them as I am not originally from here. I thought about doing that before but wondered they may think I was crazy just volunteering to do it since I don't have a son and I would do it for nothing if I had to.
    I am guessing they would love the help. A good friend used to be head baseball coach at John Hardin HS and he always had a couple guys that he didn't know from Adam that he used as volunteers. The guy at Players Dugout may be able to point you toward coaches that may be more receptive to you. Also he runs tons of camps and clinics where you may be able to help out and pick up some quality teaching points.

I am guessing they would love the help. A good friend used to be head baseball coach at John Hardin HS and he always had a couple guys that he didn't know from Adam that he used as volunteers. The guy at Players Dugout may be able to point you toward coaches that may be more receptive to you. Also he runs tons of camps and clinics where you may be able to help out and pick up some quality teaching points.
    I just found their website and it looks like something I want to do, but something closer would probably be better as I have a 4 1/2 months old daughter to help raise.
    Last edited by Jpup; 07-30-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Yay!

I just found their website and it looks like something I want to do, but something closer would probably be better as I have a 4 1/2 months old daughter to help raise.
    Yeah. That would be a concern. Quite a few night games for the high school teams down there. Is his name Joe Newton? That is a quality facility and he does quality work from what little I saw. I went to a couple clinics he put on where the guest speakers were Tony Gwynn and Tom House.

Yeah. That would be a concern. Quite a few night games for the high school teams down there. Is his name Joe Newton? That is a quality facility and he does quality work from what little I saw. I went to a couple clinics he put on where the guest speakers were Tony Gwynn and Tom House.
    yeah, I think that's him. I don't see how he stays in business though. His prices seem awfully high to me.

Yay!

yeah, I think that's him. I don't see how he stays in business though. His prices seem awfully high to me.
    Baseball parents and pageant parents really aren't that much different.

Turn Off Ads?