Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: New names linked to 03 steroids

  1. #1
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,188

    New names linked to 03 steroids

    Did I miss this?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/sp...doping.html?hp

    Most notably Ramirez and Ortiz in 03. I don't know if any of you heard this, since it's a state secret, but 2003 was Ortiz's first season in Boston and they won the World Series the next year (I know! Crazy, right?! There was a three-game playoff defecit and everything! Where is ESPN on this?!?)

    seriously, I hate steroids, but the results of the 03 tests were never to be made public, and whoever is responsible should be prosecuted in my opinion.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,312

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Did I miss this?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/sp...doping.html?hp

    Most notably Ramirez and Ortiz in 03. I don't know if any of you heard this, since it's a state secret, but 2003 was Ortiz's first season in Boston and they won the World Series the next year (I know! Crazy, right?! There was a three-game playoff defecit and everything! Where is ESPN on this?!?)

    seriously, I hate steroids, but the results of the 03 tests were never to be made public, and whoever is responsible should be prosecuted in my opinion.
    I am pretty sure its not something you can be prosecuted for it. Fired, sure. Perhaps even sued... but not prosecuted.

  4. #3
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    It used to be that if you were over weight, but really athletic and gifted with extraordinary hand-eye coordination and could hit a baseball a mile despite looking like you belonged on a bar stool, you were named Babe Ruth. Then along came David Ortiz (who actually can play first base), giving hope to all those beer league fast pitch players out there. Their last hope is that Prince Fielder broke into professional baseball late enough to avoid the pressures to dope.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  5. #4
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    so will the fact that most of the premier power hitters of the 2000's have been linked to steroids maybe alter the view that Reds fans have of Dunn? Especially since it seems like the power/lower K/hign BA numbers of a lot of power hitters seem to be PED induced.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  6. #5
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    where does all this leave Albert?

    Best career start in MLB history. High power-lowK-highBA. Has the PED body style - thickly muscled with little body fat.

    Other top power hitters(Reynolds, Dunn, Howard, Gonzalez) are all high K, lowBA guys ... which is normal.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  7. #6
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,814

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    where does all this leave Albert?

    Best career start in MLB history. High power-lowK-highBA. Has the PED body style - thickly muscled with little body fat.

    Other top power hitters(Reynolds, Dunn, Howard, Gonzalez) are all high K, lowBA guys ... which is normal.
    Pujols has never reportedly tested positive for steroids. He is either (1) juicing and hasn't yet been caught, or (2) he is the greatest firstbaseman in the history of the game.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  8. #7
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,151

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    where does all this leave Albert?

    Best career start in MLB history. High power-lowK-highBA. Has the PED body style - thickly muscled with little body fat.

    Other top power hitters(Reynolds, Dunn, Howard, Gonzalez) are all high K, lowBA guys ... which is normal.
    Give me some of Prince Albert's blood and NO WAY he comes back clean.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  9. #8
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Pujols has never reportedly tested positive for steroids. He is either (1) juicing and hasn't yet been caught, or (2) he is the greatest firstbaseman in the history of the game.
    which given the environment of the early 2000s, which is more likely?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  10. #9
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    Maybe all those great GMs of the 90s and 00s weren't so great after all.

  11. #10
    Member Strikes Out Looking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,451

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Pujols has never reportedly tested positive for steroids. He is either (1) juicing and hasn't yet been caught, or (2) he is the greatest firstbaseman in the history of the game.
    They don't test for HGH.
    Win the Division

  12. #11
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Give me some of Prince Albert's blood and NO WAY he comes back clean.
    It'll certainly come back angry.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  13. #12
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,565

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Did I miss this?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/sp...doping.html?hp

    Most notably Ramirez and Ortiz in 03. I don't know if any of you heard this, since it's a state secret, but 2003 was Ortiz's first season in Boston and they won the World Series the next year (I know! Crazy, right?! There was a three-game playoff defecit and everything! Where is ESPN on this?!?)

    seriously, I hate steroids, but the results of the 03 tests were never to be made public, and whoever is responsible should be prosecuted in my opinion.
    As Doug said, there's no jurisdiction for prosecution in a case like this. I actually, as much as I would like to have the truth come out, don't care for the leaking of names from an 'anonymous' test, but there's not anything that can be done in a criminal court.

    Now, if there was a mutual non-disclosure agreement, as almost certainly there was given the nature of these tests, someone could be sued for tort or breach of contract. Defamation, I would imagine, is something that could be argued.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  14. #13
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,128

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    Bud Selig is as much to blame as the players themselves.

    I think the media should be all over him as much as they have been on the players. This man allowed these things to happen, and if you say that he was unaware then that's even worse. I honestly don't understand why this man still has a job. He should have been fired years ago.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

  15. #14
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,565

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    Bud Selig is as much to blame as the players themselves.

    I think the media should be all over him as much as they have been on the players. This man allowed these things to happen, and if you say that he was unaware then that's even worse. I honestly don't understand why this man still has a job. He should have been fired years ago.
    Selig shares some blame, but the union, owners and MLB were all turning their heads on the issue for several years. I do not single him out when no one else was trying to deal with it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,641

    Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    As Doug said, there's no jurisdiction for prosecution in a case like this. I actually, as much as I would like to have the truth come out, don't care for the leaking of names from an 'anonymous' test, but there's not anything that can be done in a criminal court.
    I can assure you "leaking in public" is a criminal act.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25