Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New names linked to 03 steroids

Re: New names linked to 03 steroids

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I can assure you "leaking in public" is a criminal act.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

On Sports Center, Papi just gave the "beisbol has been berry berry good to me" speech.

Dude says he has to talk to some people and then he'll talk to the media.

Big surprise...not really. Ortiz was released by the Twins, and then he suddenly became a star. I always thought it was fishy.

6 seasons with Minnesota
    Code:
    G  	PA  	AB  	R  	H  	2B  	3B  	HR  	RBI  	SB  	CS  	BB  	SO  	BA  	OBP  	SLG  	OPS  	OPS+  	TB  	GDP  	HBP  	SH  	SF  	IBB
    455  	1693  	1477  	215  	393  	108  	3  	58  	238  	4  	2  	186  	339  	.266  	.348  	.461  	.809  	107  	681  	35  	9  	1  	20  	13
    7 seasons with Boston
    Code:
    G  	PA  	AB  	R  	H  	2B  	3B  	HR  	RBI  	SB  	CS  	BB  	SO  	BA  	OBP  	SLG  	OPS  	OPS+  	TB  	GDP  	HBP  	SH  	SF  	IBB
    939  	4121  	3489  	636  	1011  	258  	11  	244  	786  	6  	3  	576  	721  	.290  	.390  	.580  	.970  	145  	2023  	78  	19  	1  	36  	75
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm not sure if this was ever mentioned on this forum or not...

http://bases.newsvine.com/_news/2009...roids-training

Craig Calcaterra

Via BostonDirtDogs.com comes former Boston infielder Lou Merloni, claiming on Saturday that the Sox were given steroids training:

"I'm in spring training, and I got an 8:30-9:00 meeting in the morning. I walk into that office, and this happened while I was with the Boston Red Sox before this last regime, I'm sitting in the meeting. There's a doctor up there and he's talking about steroids, and everyone was like 'here we go, we're gonna sit here and get the whole thing -- they're bad for you.' No. He spins it and says 'you know what, if you take steroids and sit on the couch all winter long, you can actually get stronger than someone who works out clean, if you're going to take steroids, one cycle won't hurt you, abusing steroids it will.' He sat there for one hour and told us how to properly use steroids while I'm with the Boston Red Sox, sitting there with the rest of the organization, and after this I said 'what the heck was that?' And everybody on the team was like 'what was that?' And the response we got was 'well, we know guys are taking it, so we want to make sure they're taking it the right way'... Where did that come from? That didn't come from the Players Association."

Merloni has backtracked a bit since Saturday, saying that it was couched more in terms of a warning than anything else, though he says the conversation still happened. Dan Duquette, however, says that's ridiculous:

"It's ridiculous. It's totally unfounded," said Duquette, who was GM from 1994-2002, covering virtually all of Merloni's tenure (1998-2003). "Who was the doctor? Tell me who the doctor is. If there was such a doctor, he wasn't in the employ of the Red Sox. We brought in doctors to educate the players on the major league drug policy at the time, at the recommendation of Major League Baseball. This is so ridiculous I hate to even respond to it."

My first thought is that Lou Merloni has little incentive to make something like this up while Dan Duquette -- and anyone else in a position of power during the height of the steroids days -- has a lot of incentive to call it a lie. That said, I'd be shocked if whatever happened was as obvious as Merloni says it was. No one is that dumb. Not even Dan Duquette.

But even if this thing isn't as big a deal as Merloni makes it out to be, there's no escaping the notion that management knew more about the pervasiveness of steroids during the bad old days than is currently being reported and largely turned a blind eye towards it. Or, as explained in the Mitchell Report and elsewhere, actually exploited it by valuing or devaluing players in part based upon their perception as steroid users.

In the rush to burn the Manny Ramirezes and Alex Rodriguezes at the stake, let us not forget that far more people benefited from player's steroid use than just the players themselves.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Update on this old thread. In September of this year, the 9th Circuit court ruled in favor of the union. The Justice Department indicated they would not appeal that ruling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/17/sp...1&ref=baseball
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?