Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Age and major league deput elite players

Age and major league deput elite players

Is age and major league deput an indication of whether a player is a once a generation player ala Pujos and Griffey. I think it is as the best players dominate early and often ala Jr. for example he broke into the majors at 19 and went on to become the premier player of his generation. Then Albert who debutted at 21 with the Cardinals. The sooner the player also hits the majors means they are ahead of the age curve, by this what I mean is the body starts to drop off at around 31,32. After this the body slowly breaks down from its peak, you lose speed, power, and the ability to play every day. We saw it in Griffey the guy slowly broke down in front of us over 4 years. Most players don't hit the majors until 24 or 25 anymore, which only gives them 6 or 7 years until father time comes along and starts taking away abilities.

My point is if a guy can hit the majors by 21 or 22 he has a longer peak time during his prime years allowing a better chance of putting up great numbers. My question is could we have the same thing going with Yorman and maybe Bruce who is only 22 and in his second season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Age and major league deput elite players

What is a deput?
    Go BLUE!!!

debut? I think he means debut.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Is age and major league deput an indication of whether a player is a once a generation player ala Pujos and Griffey. I think it is as the best players dominate early and often ala Jr. for example he broke into the majors at 19 and went on to become the premier player of his generation. Then Albert who debutted at 21 with the Cardinals. The sooner the player also hits the majors means they are ahead of the age curve, by this what I mean is the body starts to drop off at around 31,32. After this the body slowly breaks down from its peak, you lose speed, power, and the ability to play every day. We saw it in Griffey the guy slowly broke down in front of us over 4 years. Most players don't hit the majors until 24 or 25 anymore, which only gives them 6 or 7 years until father time comes along and starts taking away abilities.

My point is if a guy can hit the majors by 21 or 22 he has a longer peak time during his prime years allowing a better chance of putting up great numbers. My question is could we have the same thing going with Yorman and maybe Bruce who is only 22 and in his second season.
    Sure.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?