Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo thinks he could be on "the list"

Arroyo thinks he could be on "the list"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4368436

Bronson Arroyo, a former Boston Red Sox teammate of Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz, said he would not be surprised to find his name on a list of 104 ballplayers who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003, as he had heard a then-legal supplement he was using was tainted with steroids, the Boston Herald reported.

Arroyo, according to the report, said he does not know if Ortiz and Ramirez, who were identified in a New York Times story as also being among the 104 players testing positive in 2003, were taking anything -- or if so, what it was. He said his knowledge of what his teammates did ended at the clubhouse door. But he does not believe that their accomplishments should be diminished as a result.

"In my mind, I think you have to lump the whole era together," Arroyo said, according to the report. "A lot of people were doing it, a lot weren't. I think pitchers probably gained three or four mph on their pitches and power hitters got some more power.

"But guys like David and Manny, if they did something, it didn't make them who they were. Did it make them a little better? Probably," Arroyo said, according to the report.

Ortiz said he had confirmed through the players union that he tested positive in 2003. He said that came as a surprise to him and that he will say more about the subject when he knows more.

Ramirez, who served a 50-game suspension for violating the league's drug policy, declined to address the Times report, referring inquiries to the players union. Ramirez's specific violation for that ban was never announced, but sources have told ESPN that testing during spring training this year revealed elevated levels of testosterone that had come from an artificial source.

Arroyo, who pitched for the Red Sox from 2003-05 and is now a starter with the Cincinnati Reds, said he took androstenedione, which was banned in 2004, as well as amphetamines, which were banned in 2006, according to the Herald report. He said he gave up taking andro, a steroid precursor, when a rumor spread through baseball that due to lax production standards, some of it was laced with steroids.

Mandatory testing for performance-enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball began in 2004.

"Before 2004, none of us paid any attention to anything we took," he said, according to the Herald. "Now they don't want us to take anything unless it's approved. But back then, who knows what was in stuff? The FDA wasn't regulating stuff, not unless it was killing people or people were dying from it."

Arroyo said he started taking taking andro after 1998, after a season with the Pirates' Double-A affiliate. "Andro made me feel great, I felt like a monster. I felt like I could jump and hit my head on the basketball rim," he said, according to the report.

Arroyo said he is happy the game now has mandatory drug testing, according to the Herald.

"I feel like the game's getting cleared up," he said, according to the report. "Personally, I don't care what people think about what I did. I do what I do."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo thinks he could be on "the list"

Interesting that he decided to come out before anymore names were leaked. Way to head the story off at the pass.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

"Before 2004, none of us paid any attention to anything we took," he said, according to the Herald. "Now they don't want us to take anything unless it's approved. But back then, who knows what was in stuff? The FDA wasn't regulating stuff, not unless it was killing people or people were dying from it."
    Now, if this didn't say "2004", you would think he was talking about, like, 1910. What the heck is he talking about? It was 2004, and he was a professional athlete making millions of dollars, with sophisticated trainers and doctors at his beck and call. There is no way these people didn't know what they were putting in their own bodies, unless they chose to remain ignorant.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

We should definitely void his contract and cut him if this is true!

Ignorance is bliss.
    Pennant or bust!

And largely, many would want to remain ignorant. Arroyo strikes me as the type to take whatever the trainer puts in his hand. And I'm betting many, many trainers put bad, bad stuff in athelte's hands. (And other areas, for that matter.)

Senor Votto

He needs to get back on it

I like his candidness.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Now, if this didn't say "2004", you would think he was talking about, like, 1910. What the heck is he talking about? It was 2004, and he was a professional athlete making millions of dollars, with sophisticated trainers and doctors at his beck and call. There is no way these people didn't know what they were putting in their own bodies, unless they chose to remain ignorant.
    Yep, it's a load of baloney that they "didn't know what they were taking".
    You've got to be kidding me.

I really don't like how he's defending Rameriez and Ortiz either. Especially Rameriez who just got caught again recently. How many times can a player play the ignorant jock card? It just doesn't work.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I believe that andro from GNC could be laced with gosh knows what..... If childrens toys from China are laced with GHB and drywall with carcinogens that the military wished they had access to in Vietnam, why would one think that andro or even an amino acid supplement would be pure if it was coming out of asia/india (which is where alot of GNC stuff comes from).

Still if you like how andro makes you feel invincible and you've admitted to taking amphetamines......
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    He was a professional athlete, but the rest of that characterization hardly applies to Bronson Arroyo before 2004.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    He was a professional athlete, but the rest of that characterization hardly applies to Bronson Arroyo before 2004.
    Fair enough, he hadn't reached free agency, but he still had the training staff of the Reds Sox at his disposal, and I doubt the healthcare plan for MLB players is too shabby.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Burn Him!

Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Interesting that he decided to come out before anymore names were leaked. Way to head the story off at the pass.
    He's always seemed to be a stand-up guy.

I think it's great that players are taking the lead now. I think we've finally hit the inflection point where the players are more concerned about being dismissed out of hand based on people's assumptions than because of their actions. I don't know if we'll ever see the full list, but this transparency is a very good thing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?