Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Gibson Selling His '68 MVP & Cy Young Awards, HoF Ring, '67 WS Ring, etc.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Bob Gibson Selling His '68 MVP & Cy Young Awards, HoF Ring, '67 WS Ring, etc.

Seems odd to me that he would be selling this stuff.

Financial problems? Or maybe he is just clearing out some of the useless clutter in his home.

Check it out here.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/cat...9&auctionid=62

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bob Gibson Selling His '68 MVP & Cy Young Awards, HoF Ring, '67 WS Ring, etc.

That is very sad... I can't imagine anyone selling off that stuff voluntarily.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Re: Bob Gibson Selling His '68 MVP & Cy Young Awards, HoF Ring, '67 WS Ring, etc.

According to the reporter, Bob is not hurting for money.

http://www.ksdk.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=179798
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I think it is more the lure of a nice payday rather than a need for money.

Gibson is a smart man, and while he never made the big bucks in the majors, retiring right when free agency started, he's worked on the radio and TV most of the time he's been retired, and works with the Cards a special coach, among many other projects.

He's probably not hurting for money, but like many of us, would be glad to see an extra few $100,000 in his saving account.

Don't know the guy, but it doesn't seem like the overly sentimental type. I know if it were me, a World Series ring itself wouldn't mean much, knowing that I earned one would be all the satisfaction I would need.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

If there are not any financial problems, it speaks volumes. Those awards, at lest the handware, meant nothing to him. Nothing wrong with that, but wouldn't it make more sense to give it to a museum or a charity for auction (maybe a stretch there) or something like that?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    If there are not any financial problems, it speaks volumes. Those awards, at lest the handware, meant nothing to him. Nothing wrong with that, but wouldn't it make more sense to give it to a museum or a charity for auction (maybe a stretch there) or something like that?
    Some of it is going to a charity. Not announced how much though.

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=7249484

In addition to making Gibson’s historic collection the cornerstone of its live summer sale, Legendary Auctions will give collectors another reason to feel even better about bidding on the items. The event will serve to raise money for the Baseball Assistance Team (B.A.T.). The mission of this charity is to aid those members of the "baseball family" that are most in need. B.A.T. strives to provide a means of support for people who are unable to help themselves

“We are pleased to select a worthwhile charity to benefit from this year’s event,” says Allen. “It was the natural choice, given Bob’s involvement and passion for this organization. The Legendary Auctions live summer auction promises to be a spectacular industry event.”

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post

No problems from me then. Of course, it is his stuff, so he can do with it what he pleases. Maybe it's just me, but I'd keep the stuff because it's baseball history. But like I say, that's just me.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Worth The Wait

Different strokes for different folks...those things would be precious to me. Heck, I'm a fan and I cherish my memorbilia from great/championship seasons. If I were Gibson, I'd definitely hold on to those things and pass them down in my family.

I do think it says something about his personality that he's selling them, but I don't think it's "good" or "bad." Gibson was known as a very hard thrower, a hard competitor, and a hard man in general. If he "feels" nothing towards those relics, than I guess you might as well cash in.

If most is going to BAT then that's a very worthwhile cause. Gibson has always come off as a grumpy old man, similar to Feller. I can see him not being very sentimental to the past. Which is fine. A lot of people aren't that way. You would think though he would leave it to his family,if he has kid or grandkids.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Different strokes for different folks...those things would be precious to me. Heck, I'm a fan and I cherish my memorbilia from great/championship seasons. If I were Gibson, I'd definitely hold on to those things and pass them down in my family.

I do think it says something about his personality that he's selling them, but I don't think it's "good" or "bad." Gibson was known as a very hard thrower, a hard competitor, and a hard man in general. If he "feels" nothing towards those relics, than I guess you might as well cash in.

Perhaps he feels that he doesn't need the hardware. It's not like if he sells it off they are going to strike his name from the record books. And this way he's doing some good for guys who need the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Notice the wording in the article: "The event will serve to raise money for the Baseball Assistance Team." That indicates to me that Gibson might receive the proceeds from the auction and B.A.T. could receive maybe a portion from the auction house cut...or something like that.

The last 10 or so months have been a real bear for many people financially. Maybe Gibson simply got caught in a bind and he saw this as a partial solution.

I haven't seen any estimate on total return on this auction. Does half a million sound reasonable?

Stuff is not what life is about, perhaps Bob knows that?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Stuff is not what life is about, perhaps Bob knows that?
    Certainly agree with that, but he is selling the 'stuff' for greenbacks, not presenting the articles to museums.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Certainly agree with that, but he is selling the 'stuff' for greenbacks, not presenting the articles to museums.
    Bob grew up in severe poverty, a child of the depression, he retired prior to Free Agency... I fully expect him to want something for his accomplishments, and you can't buy security with trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If most is going to BAT then that's a very worthwhile cause. Gibson has always come off as a grumpy old man, similar to Feller. I can see him not being very sentimental to the past. Which is fine. A lot of people aren't that way. You would think though he would leave it to his family,if he has kid or grandkids.
    I had one chance to meet him, and he did not disappoint.

Bill Peterson, who used to write for the Post and still writes for Citybeat, is a friend of mine from school.

He once brought me into the Cards clubhouse during spring training. He gave me an extra press pass he had and an extra reporters pad, and said I could come in as long as I didn't talk to anyone.

Well I saw Gibson in the corner, all alone, and I couldn't resist. So I went up to him, press pass on my chest, reporters pad in hand, and asked him what he thought of the Cards young pitchers coming up.

He took one look at me, then without pause asked, "Who the f*&% are you?"

I ran away as fast as I could, and luckily, Peterson did not get into trouble.

Turn Off Ads?