Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

  1. #1
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,511

    Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche
    By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 2:16pm CST]
    2:16pm: LaRoche has been traded to the Braves, according to Yahoo's Gordon Edes.

    1:59pm: First baseman Adam LaRoche becomes expendable for Boston if they complete the Victor Martinez trade; Jon Heyman of SI tells us via Twitter that the Braves are interested. LaRoche came up with the Braves; they traded him to Pittsburgh for Mike Gonzalez and Brent Lillibridge in '07.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    14,400

    Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    WOO HOO!

    I gets to do my "LaRoche LaRoche LaRoche is on fire" gag.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  4. #3
    Time is the Revelator. LvJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    7,281

    Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    For Kotchman? Weird.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

  5. #4
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,774

    Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    Quote Originally Posted by LvJ View Post
    For Kotchman? Weird.
    The Kotch is a better defender, which is what the Red Sox are looking for.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  6. #5
    HS Athletic Director alexad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cleves, Ohio
    Posts
    1,200

    Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    Yea but they have VMart to play first now. There is going to be be some upset players in Boston about playing time. VTech might be the odd man out in Boston.

    Kotchman would probably pass through waivers so he could be moved again.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

  7. #6
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,560

    Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    Yea but they have VMart to play first now. There is going to be be some upset players in Boston about playing time. VTech might be the odd man out in Boston.

    Kotchman would probably pass through waivers so he could be moved again.
    I don't know, I think Varitek might be beat up and tired enough to realize he probably should not be a regular catcher, anymore.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  8. #7
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Walt's bomb shelter
    Posts
    6,760

    Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    I think I'm the only one who thinks it's cool he's back with his old team. Now they get him and Mike Gonzalez!
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  9. #8
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,733

    Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    I think Kotchman has one option year left. If we see Kotchman sent to the minors, then that's Boston's motivation. They can stick him there in '09 until September to make room for Victor Martinez.

    Atlanta's motivation? They've had LaRoche before. Maybe they like him.

    This is sort of like trading saltines for communion wafers. No biggie either way.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

  10. #9
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,560

    Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I think Kotchman has one option year left. If we see Kotchman sent to the minors, then that's Boston's motivation. They can stick him there in '09 until September to make room for Victor Martinez.

    Atlanta's motivation? They've had LaRoche before. Maybe they like him.

    This is sort of like trading saltines for communion wafers. No biggie either way.
    They didn't option Kotchman, they put Wakefield's catcher on the DL, must be a sympathy injury. But this looks like a good deal for the Red Sox, they get a backup 1B who's 3 years younger, better defensively, under control for 2 more years, and apparently still has that option left.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  11. #10
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    16,863

    Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    They didn't option Kotchman, they put Wakefield's catcher on the DL, must be a sympathy injury. But this looks like a good deal for the Red Sox, they get a backup 1B who's 3 years younger, better defensively, under control for 2 more years, and apparently still has that option left.
    blumj,

    You are closer to the situation, since it is your club that is involved. But I heard that Boston's motivation for the trade is that they think that Kotchman can acclimate himself to a bench role better than LaRoche could, while Atlanta's motivation was that LaRoche can provide more power at the 1B position than Kotchman. Any accuracy to that?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  12. #11
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    27,944

    Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    Kotchman is the new Doug Mientkiewicz. LaRoche can at least hit a ball with some authority every now and then.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  13. #12
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,406

    Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    You can never have too many former Pirates on your roster.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  14. #13
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,560

    Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    blumj,

    You are closer to the situation, since it is your club that is involved. But I heard that Boston's motivation for the trade is that they think that Kotchman can acclimate himself to a bench role better than LaRoche could, while Atlanta's motivation was that LaRoche can provide more power at the 1B position than Kotchman. Any accuracy to that?
    That's what they said. Victor Martinez is going to get just about all the playing time they originally saw going to LaRoche, and then some.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25