Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche
    By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 2:16pm CST]
    2:16pm: LaRoche has been traded to the Braves, according to Yahoo's Gordon Edes.

1:59pm: First baseman Adam LaRoche becomes expendable for Boston if they complete the Victor Martinez trade; Jon Heyman of SI tells us via Twitter that the Braves are interested. LaRoche came up with the Braves; they traded him to Pittsburgh for Mike Gonzalez and Brent Lillibridge in '07.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Braves Acquire Adam LaRoche

WOO HOO!

I gets to do my "LaRoche LaRoche LaRoche is on fire" gag.

Time is the Revelator.

For Kotchman? Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ View Post
    For Kotchman? Weird.
    The Kotch is a better defender, which is what the Red Sox are looking for.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Yea but they have VMart to play first now. There is going to be be some upset players in Boston about playing time. VTech might be the odd man out in Boston.

Kotchman would probably pass through waivers so he could be moved again.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    Yea but they have VMart to play first now. There is going to be be some upset players in Boston about playing time. VTech might be the odd man out in Boston.

Kotchman would probably pass through waivers so he could be moved again.
    I don't know, I think Varitek might be beat up and tired enough to realize he probably should not be a regular catcher, anymore.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I think I'm the only one who thinks it's cool he's back with his old team. Now they get him and Mike Gonzalez!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think Kotchman has one option year left. If we see Kotchman sent to the minors, then that's Boston's motivation. They can stick him there in '09 until September to make room for Victor Martinez.

Atlanta's motivation? They've had LaRoche before. Maybe they like him.

This is sort of like trading saltines for communion wafers. No biggie either way.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I think Kotchman has one option year left. If we see Kotchman sent to the minors, then that's Boston's motivation. They can stick him there in '09 until September to make room for Victor Martinez.

Atlanta's motivation? They've had LaRoche before. Maybe they like him.

This is sort of like trading saltines for communion wafers. No biggie either way.
    They didn't option Kotchman, they put Wakefield's catcher on the DL, must be a sympathy injury. But this looks like a good deal for the Red Sox, they get a backup 1B who's 3 years younger, better defensively, under control for 2 more years, and apparently still has that option left.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    They didn't option Kotchman, they put Wakefield's catcher on the DL, must be a sympathy injury. But this looks like a good deal for the Red Sox, they get a backup 1B who's 3 years younger, better defensively, under control for 2 more years, and apparently still has that option left.
    blumj,

You are closer to the situation, since it is your club that is involved. But I heard that Boston's motivation for the trade is that they think that Kotchman can acclimate himself to a bench role better than LaRoche could, while Atlanta's motivation was that LaRoche can provide more power at the 1B position than Kotchman. Any accuracy to that?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Kotchman is the new Doug Mientkiewicz. LaRoche can at least hit a ball with some authority every now and then.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

You can never have too many former Pirates on your roster.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    blumj,

You are closer to the situation, since it is your club that is involved. But I heard that Boston's motivation for the trade is that they think that Kotchman can acclimate himself to a bench role better than LaRoche could, while Atlanta's motivation was that LaRoche can provide more power at the 1B position than Kotchman. Any accuracy to that?
    That's what they said. Victor Martinez is going to get just about all the playing time they originally saw going to LaRoche, and then some.

Turn Off Ads?