Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Fair points, Stewart might have had some market.

Provided Rolen stays healthy, he can hit cleanup for the Reds behind Votto and it pushes Phillips up to the #2 slot (not ideally where you'd hit Phillips, but it's an upgrade over what Dusty's been batting there).

I feel a bit bad Rolen actually. He's probably looking at getting dealt this time next year, then signing a free agent after that. He could be with four clubs in a short span of time.
    I would think BP now bats 5th, not 2nd, no?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Rolen's injury history is a risk, but if they get a season plus of the Rolen that played against the Reds earlier this year, he is going to make this a better team. That is all you can ask of any player. Good luck to EE, maybe he can perfect the one bounce off the turf throw for his home games. Roenicke seemed to be nibbling once he got up here, and the other night, he was missing his target by several feet on his fastball. Don't forget he is 26 even though his arm is a bit young as a converted OFer.

Stewart is a wildcard and I'm sure the primary target of this deal for the Jays. Still, say it over and over, "there is no such thing as a pitching prospect."
    Last edited by traderumor; 07-31-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Did they follow up with CoCo?
    No, they failed completely to do so.

If they fail again, this is a real bad trade.

It only makes sense if the Reds add materially in the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    With the exception of some very emotional posts (made by typically emotional posters) nobody here is saying this move dooms the Reds forever.
    Saying they are done with the Reds forever, that this is the worst trade ever, Walt needs to be fired.. saying that Zach Stewart is the third best pitcher in the organization..

This is just crazy.

Yes, if Zach Stewart becomes something special, Walt deserves all this tongue lashing.

Rolen is an injury risk, but he greatly upgrades 3b at a minimal cost in terms of talent (IMO). That's one more hole filled.

Like I said earlier, if you can't trade Harang, Arroyo, and Cordero, you might as well try to win with them next year by picking up legitimate position players. The NL Central is still going to be weak next year.
    Add a SS, get some rebound from Harang/Arroyo, better health, and this team could actually be worth watching next year.

I've spent the last 10 years waiting for all the Zach Stewarts, Jay Bruces, etc to arrive from the farm and save the day. It never happened. I'm thrilled to see the Reds actually upgrading positions on their roster. EdE was a horrible player. Glad to see him gone.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I agree that in the big picture it's hard to figure why the Reds made this deal. If they aren't after a half dozen other important additions, it won't matter.
    Yup, this team still needs more pitching, a shortstop, a center fielder and a left fielder. Walt's got about eight months to make it happen, and unfortunately I've got little to no confidence that it will actually happen.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Espn is reporting that the Reds have not traded for Yunil Escobar.
    Are they also reporting that Francisco Franco is still dead???
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed View Post
    How could this make the Reds worse in 2009? Are you saying Rolen is not an upgrade over EE?
    It depends on how many games he plays.

It also depends on how much salary the Reds just assumed.

If they gave up those three players AND are paying Rolen's full salary next year, look for all the new 2010 Reds to come via trade.

Did they follow up with CoCo?
    Nope, but it wasn't Walt who pulled off that masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post

The Reds have definitely gotten more expensive for '09 and '10, and quite probably worse as well. Helluva job, Brownie.
    How did they get worse? Did you think EdE and the two pitchers would have a bigger impact in 09-10 than Rolen?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post

WJ is done. Worst trade I have seen for the reds in my lifetime.
    Please.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Yup, this team still needs more pitching, a shortstop, a center fielder and a left fielder. Walt's got about eight months to make it happen, and unfortunately I've got little to no confidence that it will actually happen.
    Man, it feels like that shopping list has been on Walt's to-do list for a while now.

Rolen better stay healthy and be a hitting machine for the rest of his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If they are healthy next year and Bruce comes to play then the job becomes a little easier.

But it's still a big job.
    My take as well. Don't care for the deal as is, but if it means Castellini and the Reds are going to take on enough salary to compete in 2010, I'm all for it. By my count, Rolen's an above average player this year. Two poor years before. Getting older and injury prone.

But he's better than EdE.

With Rolen, Votto, and Phillips, the IF is pretty solid offensively, even with a black hole at short right now. (A free agent signing might be okay, but I'm guessing Janish.) If Bruce pans out and Jocketty is able to convince Baker to try either Heisey or Stubbs in CF instead of Taveras, the only needs are a pitcher and a LF.

The 2010 free agent class is lousy with LFers and good pitchers.

That's the admittedly optimistic viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This is a commitment to 2010. The Reds must follow through on that commitment with other acquisitions. Otherwise, it is a waste.
    Kc, they've been saying for a long time that they think they are a player or two away. I've felt that it was more truth than PR or lip service all along. I think this type of move indicates they believe what they're peddling. I wouldn't expect any drastic moves this offseason, rather some tinkering at the fringes, and a hope that the addition of Rolen plus better team health = contention. Frankly, I think they've made a major miscalculation.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Does Doug also post under the name of "this board?"

I've never read anything by "this board."
    Toronto has some of the best pitching coaches around. They will turn him from a groundball machine into THE groundball machine. Just wait and watch.

Turn Off Ads?