Turn Off Ads?
Page 45 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    getting an expensive 35 year old third basemen with a bad back and shoulder seems like second prize in a contest where first prize is the clap.
    Getting rid of an expensive hitter who can't hit or field is worth it by itself.

Without question, the Reds get better offensively and defensively. They still need pitching, lots of it. But they need an impact bat and glove almost as much. Fix what you can when you can.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Getting rid of an expensive hitter who can't hit or field is worth it by itself.
    I would not be surprised one bit if EE has a higher OPS and plays more games in 2010 than Rolen.

Odds are the Reds get the 07/08 version of Rolen(or less), not the 2009 fluke season.

Reds have sold low and bought high on this one.

Funny, you'd have thought the Reds just traded the gold glove caliber third baseman who is currently hitting .320.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Funny, you'd have thought the Reds just traded the gold glove caliber third baseman who is currently hitting .320.
    which he will certainly repeat next season ... they must be crazy

I would not be surprised one bit if EE has a higher OPS and plays more games in 2010 than Rolen.

Odds are the Reds get the 07/08 version of Rolen(or less), not the 2009 fluke season.

Three year average is a pretty good barometer I think, Rolen's 07-09 is this:

.280/.349/.433/.782

That's solid considering the guy can defend too. For me the issue isn't the quality of the player they got. The problem is the timing of the deal.

Trouble is, EE doesn't get to face NL Central pitching anymore. I'd say it's likely EE DHes and OPSes around .700 next season. He's got bottom of the order bat handling skills and he's not a great bet to start taking lots of walks. He's the quintessential tweener hitter. Boring as kool aid without the sugar.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

One thing for sure Scott Rolen's locker will be close to Jay Bruce's locker.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    One thing for sure Scott Rolen's locker will be close to Jay Bruce's locker.
    You're probably right but Bruce doesn't strike me as the type of guy who needs it.

I expect Rolen's numbers to be pretty good. Mediocre NL pitching plus half his games in GABP should equal better numbers. If he stays healthy I don't see why he can't approach his career averages in everything but HRs. And I think he can hit 20HRs in this park.

Trouble is, EE doesn't get to face NL Central pitching anymore. I'd say it's likely EE DHes and OPSes around .700 next season. He's got bottom of the order bat handling skills and he's not a great bet to start taking lots of walks. He's the quintessential tweener hitter. Boring as kool aid without the sugar.
    this isn't about EE, its about a 1 year rental of a 35 year old with a bad injury history who is having a likely last hurrah year.

Like the guys on Home Plate said, you could easily make an argument for this deal if it put a team over the top or even close to it. But the Reds are nowhere near that, instead there are huge holes to fill. Maybe prospects are overvalued, if so, they frittered a few away for minimal impact.

it would be interesting to see what PECOTA thinks of Rolen and EE for 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    You're probably right but Bruce doesn't strike me as the type of guy who needs it.
    I think Jay Bruce needs *all* kinds of help.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Now that EE's Red's career has ended (for this tour, at least), he reminds me a lot of... (without looking at BR) Gary Redus.

I though Redus was going to be the next big thing when he came up.

Of course they played different positions, but Redus also had tons of "potential" that he never did reach (or was his "potential" over-rated and he did just fine??).

EE should hope to wind up with the career that Redus did- Gary played until he was 37 years old.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I expect Rolen's numbers to be pretty good. Mediocre NL pitching plus half his games in GABP should equal better numbers. If he stays healthy I don't see why he can't approach his career averages in everything but HRs. And I think he can hit 20HRs in this park.
    Sky Dome is a nice offensive park

Is it possible for Rolen to do what you expect? Sure but that is wrong question which is the one the Reds keep asking.

What the Reds need to ask is "Is it probable"?

Asking "is it possible?" is how you end up with a guy like Willy T.

And he seems to have caught whatever bug it is that infected Willie Greene and Austin Kearns. Encarnacion's not the player he was when he came into the majors at age 22.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I think Jay Bruce needs *all* kinds of help.
    Jay Bruce needs MLB at-bats and to not be 22 years old. Not leadership and professionalism training.

Turn Off Ads?