Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I understand wanting to get value, but in all honesty, where would Stewart rank among the young pitchers in the organization? 5th? 6th?

I've got to think he's behind in no particular order: Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Wood, and maybe some of the relievers like Fisher right?
    Cueto Volquez Stewart and then...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I understand wanting to get value, but in all honesty, where would Stewart rank among the young pitchers in the organization? 5th? 6th?

I've got to think he's behind in no particular order: Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Wood, and maybe some of the relievers like Fisher right?
    Uhh, nope. You would be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He is about 50th in baseball. He has a 92-96 MPH plus fastball with sink and a plus slider.

How is it that the Phillies got Cliff Lee without including a pitcher as good as Stewart and we get an injury prone third baseman?
    We have an incompetent GM.

He is about 50th in baseball. He has a 92-96 MPH plus fastball with sink and a plus slider.

How is it that the Phillies got Cliff Lee without including a pitcher as good as Stewart and we get an injury prone third baseman?
    Uncle Walt had a dream it was the year 2000?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, EE is trending into Chris Brown territory to me.

Sometimes breaking up is hard.
    I don't mind EE going ... I wouldn't have thrown Stewart in the deal for an aging oft injured 3b whose power is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't know. I'd pretty much chew off a limb to get rid of Encarnacion. I like Roenicke, but if Stewart doesn't pan out then it's Roenicke for Rolen and that strikes me as a winner for the Reds.
    I'd agree with this if it's circa 2000 Scott Rolen, but this guy has really been a mess the better part of the last 5 years (either due to injury, steep production decline, or both). The fact that he'll be 35 when he plays his first meaningful inning as a Reds 3B worries me.

It's not the end of the world type of apocalyptic trade by any stretch, but it's likely not to produce much for a team in limbo in 2010. I'm most worried by the fact that Walt is apparently under the impression that 2010 is our year, despite the mountain of evidence saying otherwise.

This was an idiotic trade. Just inexcusable

Is it still too early to grade Walt?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

A real GM.

WJ is done. Worst trade I have seen for the reds in my lifetime.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Wild thought here: maybe neither team got realy quality. Perhaps Rolen declines as he ages and gets hurt. Maybe EE continues to play 3rd like a DH and never develops his bat, Stewart never reaches the majors and Roenicke is a midle of the road middle reliever.

The one thing that this signifies for me is that Walt and Bob have decided that they believe that they will be in contention next year. So, to me, this is step one.

I view this move in the same way as I viewed the Cordero signing at the time. If this is part of a larger legitimate initiative to improve the team in the short term, then I am cool with it. If the team is trash next year, then it makes no sense and it is an awful move.

To me, at first blush, this signals that they still think they are a few tweaks away from being relevant. I doubt we see Arroyo/Harrang moved later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I'm trying to take a step back here and evaluate this one as objective as possible (or eliminating the immediate emotion), and I think this is pretty much my take. Stewart's the one guy in this deal I didn't want to see included, but if he doesn't pan out then this could work in the Reds' favor.

Of course, if Stewart does pan out, well ... we just got reamed.

Knowing the Reds' luck, the latter is probably going to end up happening.
    Ah, M2 and WOY, the calming voices of reason (I take all major credit cards and Paypal, guys)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    . Here's hoping Rolen is the beginning of rebuilding the O.
    Yep, and fixing the defense too.

This deal gives me hope that the franchise actually has a pulse.

I could care less about Zach Stewart right now.

I knew that no matter what happened today, people would not be pleased.
    This board SO overvalues Reds' prospects, that it is absurd.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Jocketty just got owned by the worst GM in Baseball.

Turn Off Ads?