Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yeah, you were originally a Reds fan, right?

I'm strongly considering it man. I can't believe I'm saying that. I hated the Cardinals there for a few years but my opinion of them has changed completely in the last year or so. They are just a great organization dedicated to winning. They'll do anything to win. They're fans are unbelievable. They don't run their great players out of town or give up on young players early. I'm sick and tired of the Reds crap.
    Time lends perspective.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If the Reds a getting 4 million for Rolen's 2010 salary of 11 million and are dumping the 4.75 EE was going to make then basically they are only paying 2.25 million more for Rolen for next year than they would have been for EE, who is basically useless IMO. If Rolen is healthy, which is admittedly a big IF, then this could work out ok for 2010.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I'm not terribly distraut over who we gave up. Prospects are just that and bullpen arms are pretty fungable too.

I don't like this deal for what it represents moreso than the lost tallent. Bozo Bob still thinks we are 'this close' and I agree that this is likely our big offseason pickup for the comming offseason. It means that unless we somehow trick someone into taking BA, AH or FC off our hands we're not going to have the money to do anything of note.

So we'll see Rolen and some rearanged deck-chairs in 2010.Yippie.

Also, I can see a scenario where Rolen's dough (in concert with the others) prevents future moves and we get treated to Adam Rosales at 3B every night.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Baseball Prospectus: We're scratching our heads here

Rolen is having a fantastic season (.320/.370/.476 with defense about five runs above average), but even assuming he has waived his no-trade clause, this one's a puzzler. The remaining money on Rolen's deal (about $3.5 million this season, and $11 million for next) represents a substantial burden for a notoriously cost-conscious team, and given that the Reds have lost 18 of their past 26 games, they're hardly contenders -- fifth in the NL Central at 9½ out, ninth in the wild-card standings at 10½ out

--------

We're scratching our heads too.
    I could see making a move like this if we were on the cusp of winning the division, making the post-season, and needing that little extra UMMMPH. But we're not.
    The $4M the Jays included and the nearly $5M EE makes next year, which they left out, make this less of a head scratcher. I'd say it about evens it out.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Fay reports that the Jays are paying the remainder of Rolen's 2009 contract

According to one poster with connections to the Reds minor leagues, a pitching coach who worked with Stewart called this trade "off the wall nuts." I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    The $4M the Jays included and the nearly $5M EE makes next year, which they left out, make this less of a head scratcher. I'd say it about evens it out.
    I'll take a healthy Rolen for $6M and a few bullpenners.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Fay reports that the Jays are paying the remainder of Rolen's 2009 contract
    And the team is improved. I don't see what's not to like. Rolen is a well known name also that will excite some fringe fans and bring them out to the ballpark, thinking this 2009 team still has a chance
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    According to one poster with connections to the Reds minor leagues, a pitching coach who worked with Stewart called this trade "off the wall nuts." I agree.
    Don't forget that Alonso was in this deal at one time.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I don't see what's not to like.
    The fact that the Reds could have made this same move without Stewart in December?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Don't forget that Alonso was in this deal at one time.
    Funny part is, I was reading that part of this thread while on the toilet...

Seemed fitting.

That deal would have had me fuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I'm not terribly distraut over who we gave up. Prospects are just that and bullpen arms are pretty fungable too.

I don't like this deal for what it represents moreso than the lost tallent. Bozo Bob still thinks we are 'this close' and I agree that this is likely our big offseason pickup for the comming offseason. It means that unless we somehow trick someone into taking BA, AH or FC off our hands we're not going to have the money to do anything of note.

So we'll see Rolen and some rearanged deck-chairs in 2010.Yippie.

Also, I can see a scenario where Rolen's dough (in concert with the others) prevents future moves and we get treated to Adam Rosales at 3B every night.

Basically, with EE's raise next year, and the money from the Jay's, this raises the payroll around $2M next year.

And if I remember correctly, weren't you predicting that the Reds would be just re-arranging deck chairs this trade deadline? Not saying that just because you got it wrong about today means you'll be wrong about next season, but you do seem to keep moving the goalposts. But I would too, if I had "2009: fail" under my name in every post.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Ill be damned. I said Roenike and I was right. Im so smart.

Rolen's injuries

does anyone know exactly what Rolen's injuries have been in the past?
    are they one offs (say a broken wrist) or things likely to recurr?
    thanks.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Rolen's injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    does anyone know exactly what Rolen's injuries have been in the past?
    are they one offs (say a broken wrist) or things likely to recurr?
    thanks.

He had shoulder surgery, which probably explains where the HR numbers whent...and I believe back problems.

Not sure what else, if anything.

Turn Off Ads?