Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do we care?

Re: Why do we care?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In my opinion, Zach Stewart was the best pitching prospect moved during the deadline followed closely by Jason Knapp. The difference is Knapp is on the DL with shoulder issues and in Low A.

I mean if the Reds wanted to really shake things up, why didn't they just offer Alonso, Stewart, Roenicke, EE, Stubbs/Heisey and Todd Frazier for Halladay and Rolen and just gotten it done (heck, take out Frazier and add Bailey if they want)?
    What about Tim Alderson? I have to say trading Stewart is starting to make me physically ill.

I hate you right now Walt, I hate you and I don't care who knows it!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    You spend years watching prospects grow as players, watching them turn into solid players and even great players just to watch them dumped.

Let me ask you why do you care? I seriously have no answers for myself. How do you guys feel about it? Zach Stewart going from a good pitcher to a guy I simply loved to being something I will never be able to watch if he turns out to be good.

Do you guys have the same feelings as me when it comes to these guy? Its like a part of you is ripped out. Makes me question why I even care enough to check their numbers daily. Todd Frazier for all I know next year could be in the Yankees farm system or the Braves or the Mets.

What say you?
    I've been wondering about that here for most guys. At least Doug follows and critiques the minors for $. Everyone else here are following guys they've more-than-likely never talked to and who more-than-likely won't pan out. I'm not saying Stewart won't, but some people on here are way too attached to following these young kids.

Buck up GIDP, at least Jay Bruce may someday become lucky and hit .250.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I've been wondering about that here for most guys. At least Doug follows and critiques the minors for $. Everyone else here are following guys they've more-than-likely never talked to and who more-than-likely won't pan out. I'm not saying Stewart won't, but some people on here are way too attached to following these young kids.

Buck up GIDP, at least Jay Bruce may someday become lucky and hit .250.
    I'm not attached to these kids like I never want them traded but when you take someone who has the potential of Stewart and trade him like his potential is a robert manuel you really have to get frustrated.

I am pissed. They could have picked ANY other pitcher in the farm system, Sulbaran, Wood, anybody - hell they even could have thrown in Mike Leake and I would be only marginally annoyed. And for what? 1.5 years of Scott Rolen? Realistically, its one year of Scott Rolen, since this year is pretty much shot.

I completely understand the people that make the argument that you would rather have a productive player than a maybe, since over the last 10 years this team's history is littered with maybes that turned into never happeneds. And if we acquired the 27 year old Scott Rolen that St. Louis got back in 2002 I would be 100% on board. But we got a 35 year old, injury prone 3B for 1.5 years.

Unless I am missing something, I really don't get this trade. Are we really only a declining Scott Rolen away from the playoffs? If the answer is no, which I think it is, why do you do it?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    What about Tim Alderson? I have to say trading Stewart is starting to make me physically ill.

I hate you right now Walt, I hate you and I don't care who knows it!
    I like Tim Alderson, but I think he is a little behind those guys. He has a middling fastball, solid control and a good curve. He has funny mechanics though and is seen as a reliever by some.

I've never actually cared this much. I actually feel depressed right now...like an old gray haired man in a sport coat took my favorite puppy and stabbed it to death...and then tried to convince me it was all for the best. I actually teared up. That emoticon's not lying.

At some point, continuously looking to the future has to be converted to present performance. But I'm not sure that this is the time to do that. I like Rolen but I don't like him this much. Especially when the Reds will still be also-rans.

In my opinion, Zach Stewart was the best pitching prospect moved during the deadline followed closely by Jason Knapp. The difference is Knapp is on the DL with shoulder issues and in Low A.

I mean if the Reds wanted to really shake things up, why didn't they just offer Alonso, Stewart, Roenicke, EE, Stubbs/Heisey and Todd Frazier for Halladay and Rolen and just gotten it done (heck, take out Frazier and add Bailey if they want)?
    I could not agree with you more. We already have a very good offensive first basemen who we will have to move to a new position if Alonso develops into a major leaguer. It is so much easier to find someone like Alonso than to draft and develop someone like Stewart. Also keep in mind, stewart is closer to major league ready than Alonso is. I hate this trade more than I have ever hated any trade any of my favorite teams have ever made. I would not have traded Stewart straight up for Rolen.

LOL. I can't believe Walt Jocketty actually thought this was a good idea. Incredible. Awful, awful trade. I would rather have Stewart than Alonso.

What to say guys? Maybe it's time to start following the Reds and rooting for someone else!! What in the world are we going to do when in five years when Joey goes home to Toronto and Jay heads off to Boston or N.Y. I am just starting to follow Yorman and I'm affraid that this off season will be filled with more of these type deals. The best prospects sent off for players and cash.

Are we stuck in baseball hell? The baseball gods must be oh so angry at whatever the Reds did somewhere in the past. Call me crazy but I would much rather be a Pirate fan at this time than a Red fan. At least they went all in with there kids and are not half way like the Reds always seem to be!!
    Walt went all Brokeback Mountain I guess I can now quote it "I just can't quit you"

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I can't believe they are giving up Stewart. I just called one of the Reds minor league pitching coaches that Stewart pitched for and he called this trade "off the wall nuts."

I would rather have given up Alonso than Stewart.
    They may as well given Toronto Alonso, too. It made as much sense.

Senility has set in with Baker, and Jockety.

I wish I was in Cincinnati so I could publicly tell these buffoons what I think. I'd get thrown out of GAB, but that wouldn't be any great loss, that's for sure.

Seriously, I'm done with the REDS while the buffoon Baker is around, Jockety is around, and Castellini continues to make idiotic front-office moves. There are some good clubs to like out there....the Padres, the Mariners, the A's, the Blue Jays, the Phillies....anyone but the REDS. Enough is enough.

In 40 years, I've never seen a dumber move by any franchise in any sport (that wasn't fixed by the leauge (Pau Gasol to the Lakers for his brother, for example).

In my opinion, Zach Stewart was the best pitching prospect moved during the deadline.
    My first thought. And we threw in EE and Roenicke.

I seriously wouldn't trade Stewart for two Scott Rolens straight up. And, I don't think 99% of the scouts out there would either.

The REDS' scouts have to be tearing their hair out and getting their resumes put together so they can jettison this organization. If I was Rick Sweet, I'd be looking for another job, too. This franchise stinks like bad cheese right now.

But, they acquired Balentien!

Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    In 40 years, I've never seen a dumber move by any franchise in any sport
    I'm a Vikings fan. Remember Herschel Walker?

Turn Off Ads?