26 26.00%
  • F - EPIC AND COLOSSAL FAIL BY JOCKERTY

17 17.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate the Rolen Deal

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Rate the Rolen Deal

ORG has this thread...we should too.

Rate the trade. I've cooled off a bit. I wanted Rolen from the beginning but was afraid we might overpay. I still think we did overpay but it's not the colossal fail a EE/Alonso deal would have been. I was just about to the point of giving up on EE, at least as a 3B. I like Stewart and I think I liked Roenicke more than most but, Rolen is still a top-shelf 3B, still should have 2-3 good years left and I'm hoping he can instill a new type of attitude into this team and provide some much-needed veteran leadership. Very excited to have him, just wish we didn't trade those two arms.
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 07-31-2009 at 06:04 PM.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rate the Rolen Deal

D

F--

They dumped Encarnacion, who is crap (maybe the worst fielder I've ever seen down at the hot corner for the Reds, doesn't hit in the clutch, VERY bad baserunner). Did they give up some young talent? Maybe. But that is not proven talent. Rolen is. Seems to me, we just upgraded at third base by a ton.
    "Why's he keep callin' me meat? I'm the guy drivin' a Porsche." - Calvin LaLoosh

Moneyball = Mulder, Hudson, Zito

Forget Walt "The Joke" Jocketty. I wish to hell he would have stayed asleep. What a moron. Absolute moron. And then they bring up Kip Wells. Kip "I stink to high heavens" Wells. I just threw up "A LOT" in my mouth. Yuck. I no longer worry about going to hell when I die. I am a Reds fan. It may be an upgrade. Oh yeah, I read over in the ORG that we shouldn't because Riciardi never rips off the other team in a trade. Congratulations, JP, you just broke your trade maiden.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-31-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Say all you want about Rolen being old and overpaid. We needed a good right handed bat and we got one. huge upgrade on both sides of the ball. Calling Jocketty a moron for that is silly.

This deal will look even better to me if there are some subsequent moves in this coming off-season, i.e.: the acquisition of a major-league caliber SS and a violent and public jettison of Willy Tavares. We fix those two problems and unload one of Roidhead/Harang and I'm feeling pretty optimistic for 2010.

This poll is at a perfect distribution right now...this trade really seems to have split the Sun Deck like a butcher splitting a raw chicken.

C - I think it was obvious that the Reds were determined to get rid of EE. I really doubt there was much of a market for him. The Reds have overvalued him, and most likely ruined other chances in the past to get ride of him, so that they had to offer a little more to get Toronto to take him off their hands.

I do agree that prospects are prospects, and we will never know their value until proven, though some are obvious over others. So the jury is really out for awhile on this one.

But I do think the Reds desparately needed a veteran in that locker room. And I mean a veteran stud, not JHJ who is only a year younger than Rolen. These kids need a swift kick in the ass by someone besides a manager. Someone who works hard and knows the history of this franchise. We didn't always suck.

I think it's a good step in the right direction. Now if you can trade Harang for a decent SS prospect, sign Scutaro at a FA and let this team grow and heal for the rest of the year, we could be in good shape for 2010.

And here's to Walt pulling some real magic for the first time and landing Halladay or the like in the off season. We need a true TOR guy, not these poseurs we've had.

thorn

I give it a C. The only part that bothers me is Stewart, if he turns out to be a RP I might be Ok with it as we have RP in the minors and can easily get it in the FA market if need be, but if he turns out to be a SP then I might have to downgrade my score.

Quote Originally Posted by ukwazoo View Post
    They dumped Encarnacion, who is crap (maybe the worst fielder I've ever seen down at the hot corner for the Reds, doesn't hit in the clutch, VERY bad baserunner). Did they give up some young talent? Maybe. But that is not proven talent. Rolen is. Seems to me, we just upgraded at third base by a ton.
    In 2006 and 2007 Edwin was our best hitter with RISP!

D-

We gave up to much.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jones1 View Post
    In 2006 and 2007 Edwin was our best hitter with RISP!
    Good for him and his Father! /PeeWee mode off

This year Rolen is outproducing and will continue to outproduce EE and probably will next year.

Redleg on tobacco road

Good trade. We got rid of a cancer in the dugout and not to mention his hot and cold play. We got a proven veteran, a consistent right handed bat and a prennial gold glove canadate. I love it.

So, who did Rolen get traded for?

There's a 600-post thread about it in ORG, but no one's going to sift through 600 posts to figure it out.

There's a 200-post thread about it in Sundeck, but no one's going to sift through 200 posts to figure it out.

Turn Off Ads?