Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Walt graded out as...

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

4 3.70%
  • B

24 22.22%
  • C

28 25.93%
  • D

27 25.00%
  • F

25 23.15%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How did Walt do?

Re: How did Walt do?

seems like a bizarre use of resources to me, and more Reds fence-straddling. I still say that we're on target for the year 2015, but only if Castellini goes before then.

Rolen's too old to be the Reds' Terry Pendleton. but with all of the nice words being said about him, maybe he can become player-manager in 2010?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Hard to argue with Rolen deal.
    800 + posts and counting say otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't think we need to wait Nate. If Rolen is healthy and plays like a stud it will be nice, but his dollars still put this team in a situation where the only road to success is Bruce and Bailey fulfilling their potential. If that happens, it won't be this trade that made the team a contender.

As for the players given up, we don't need to see how they perform to see if the Reds could have used them. They could be used right now in trade for something else that isn't an established injury risk, addresses a bigger need and doesn't cost 8 figures.
    Rolen only costs 7 figures. The net between he and EE's salary is $6M. That is worth the production that would be expected.
    Last edited by traderumor; 08-01-2009 at 11:09 AM.

B for me.

Balentien has upside and can probably fit well into a platoon. In 2010 or 2011.

Rolen was a necessary move, and not an easy one to pull off, given the money involved and the thorny question of what to do about EdE's 4-5 million contract for 2010. I like both Roenicke (who looked good this year, in my opinion) and Stewart (though I think he's a BP guy long term), so this deal is not an A for me. But the team clearly needs some leadership and ballast for the guys who score runs, and I think Rolen is a great choice for that. The defensive upgrade is real nice, too. (Now go get Tejada or Scutaro in the offseason.)

Moving Hairston to save a little cash is a small positive, but a positive nonetheless.

The trade market is not easy, but the team was relatively active at a time they needed to be. I hope August will bring more.

F -

I want him fired immediately. When Zach Stewart and Josh Roenicke are succeeding at the major league level while we watch our pitchers come up short, Adam Rosales at 3B and Scott Rolen on the DL we'll wonder why he did this.

This is worse than signing Willy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty and Joe View Post
    Hairston - that appears to be a salary dump.
    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Moving Hairston to save a little cash is a small positive, but a positive nonetheless.
    I don't think it can be called a salary dump when Hairston had less than $1m left on his contract. Yeah, the Reds saved a little cash, VERY little in baseball terms. The yankees got a decent, cheap bench player and we got.....

F -

I want him fired immediately. When Zach Stewart and Josh Roenicke are succeeding at the major league level while we watch our pitchers come up short, Adam Rosales at 3B and Scott Rolen on the DL we'll wonder why he did this.

This is worse than signing Willy.
    Nothin' could be worse than signing Willy.

Walt gets a D from me.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    This. Jocketty's a joke. I could do better in my sleep.
    I fell asleep last night and traded Willy Taveras for Albert Pujols. Can you beat that trade?

I gave it a B. I liked the Rolen deal. He makes the Reds better in 2010, which I think was the plan all along, for an extra $6M. He traded JHJ and didn't have to pay anything, that is a plus. Wlad was had for next to nothing. If he pans out, great, if not oh well.

It was pretty well documented that Harang, Arroyo, and Cordero would probably be moved in the waiver wire process. Their contracts will pass thorugh waivers and that extended their trading period. BTW I think Harang right now is untradeable. Guy hasn't won a game in forever.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I fell asleep last night and traded Willy Taveras for Albert Pujols. Can you beat that trade?

I gave it a B. I liked the Rolen deal. He makes the Reds better in 2010, which I think was the plan all along, for an extra $6M. He traded JHJ and didn't have to pay anything, that is a plus. Wlad was had for next to nothing. If he pans out, great, if not oh well.

It was pretty well documented that Harang, Arroyo, and Cordero would probably be moved in the waiver wire process. Their contracts will pass thorugh waivers and that extended their trading period. BTW I think Harang right now is untradeable. Guy hasn't won a game in forever.
    So who will pass through the waiver process that will be coming back to cincy in those deals?

I think the Reds are going to have to ride the Harang and Arroyo horse until the end. I don't see anyone who has any potential to be any better signing in Cincy for any less money. Its just that a new signee would likely take another 3 to 5 year deal instead of the current Harang and Arroyo deals which come to an end sooner. The Reds could probably peddle them for next to nothing, but the only replacements would be guys from within (one of whom was just dealt in the Rolen trade) or scrap heap vets of the Fogg variety. Anyone else would require an overpayment similar to the Harang and Arroyo deals everyone loathes now IMO. Maybe they could hit the lotto with an incentive laden deal for a guy coming off of injury. Beyond that, Stewart was the best hope for improvement IMO.

Harang and Arroyo combine to throw 450 or so innings. Even 450 poor innings won't be as easy to replace as many are expecting. Homer Bailey needs to step forward and fulfill his 2006 projections by the end of the year for this team to have any chance in 2010 IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

My problem with Balentien deal is why acquire him if you are going to start a utility infielder in lf instead of him?? Balentine needs to play, the Reds are going nowhere put him in the outfield and see what he can do.

High five!

Willy for Albert and cash.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    Balentine needs to play

(P.S. I know it was a type, but I couldn't resist)
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I gave it a B. I liked the Rolen deal. He makes the Reds better in 2010, which I think was the plan all along, for an extra $6M.
    Don't forget the prospects, we gave up 2 prospects and 6M. Forget the straw man arguments about prospects not panning out, the business reality is that this trade decreased current assets(prospects) and increased future liabilities(cash).

He traded JHJ and didn't have to pay anything, that is a plus.
    He didn't have to eat salary to get rid of a bad FA signing that he made. That's what passes for success now? If so then lets make sure we give equal weight to the unmitigated, and completely avoidable, disaster that is WT.

Wlad was had for next to nothing.If he pans out, great, if not oh well.
    I agree its a no lose situation but we've seen how far dumpster diving alone can get us in the past. I'm not real excited about yet another GM that can generally only point to that as the positive side of his ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    My problem with Balentien deal is why acquire him if you are going to start a utility infielder in lf instead of him?? Balentine needs to play, the Reds are going nowhere put him in the outfield and see what he can do.
    I believe they said they wanted to 'ease' him into things after not playing much and then having a week + off after being let go.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Walt got had by the worst gm in baseball. F.

Turn Off Ads?