Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Walt graded out as...

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

4 3.70%
  • B

24 22.22%
  • C

28 25.93%
  • D

27 25.00%
  • F

25 23.15%
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How did Walt do?

How did Walt do?

Rate all the deals as a total package.

Balantien deal, Hairston deal, Rolen deal equals...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How did Walt do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rate all the deals as a total package.

Balantien deal, Hairston deal, Rolen deal equals...

Alright I will make a comment on this purely cause I still believe in the Reds, and something had to be done, so here goes:

Balentien deal--We need offense, especially in the OF, we have tons of middle relief talent in the minors, and FA has shown you can acquire guys for little or nothing who can nail down the middle innings effectively. So Manual IMO was/is at his peak, with Wlad, we get a 25 yr old corner OF who has power, but needs to put the package together, and maybe a new league, team will do that so I give this trade a B.

Hairston deal-he's what he is, average! He simply dosn't play any position well enough to deserve a full time job, and his bat is best used off the bench, this team cannot afford a guy like that starting every night so his moving on is a blessing. Also Walt flipped him for a 20yr old LH catcher who was drafted 6th round 2 years ago, and is now in A ball. We need catching in the system and also we saved some cash to boot, which I bet is used to sign the draft picks. So I give Walt an A.

Rolen deal-Rolen is a solid MLB player who plays a premium position. He excels at defense is solid at the plate and is a middle of the order hitter. Yeah he's 34, had some injuries, but Remember Toronto plays on turf!!! Rolen will provide leadership and gives us a solid infield and will allow us to focus on LF/C/SP in the offseason. Now the guy I hated giving up was Roenicke, he's young, great fastball, solid reliever, but he's still a ?. Stewart is a prospect but he's got back of the rotation talent at best, MR at worst. EE, I've seen enough...his defense is terrible, his bat is average at BEST, and he simply was going to make 5million next year!!! With this deal I give Walt a C+.

We lost assets while failing to address any of our primary needs. I give him a D because at least he tried....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'd give the Rolen a B, but the other two lack oomph and more needs to be done, so C overall from me.

BTW, GOYA welcome to the party.
    Last edited by M2; 07-31-2009 at 07:00 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

He gets a F from me.

I like the Rolen deal ... it's a wing and a prayer that he stays healthy ... but it breathes immediate life into a dead team....

I was so sorry to have paid $160 to watch the reds (MLB ticket), but now i might get a little enjoyment from this season if the team can scrape together even a few wins.

Plus.. a healthy Rolen is a great addition for the team's hot corner - plus defense and plus offense. If he gets hurt... what the heck... we'll plug in Frazier .. I'll still think the trade was worth the shot.

the others trade are fluff .... I'll be mad if Wlad makes WJ comfortable w/ the outfield situation even if Wlad stinks it up.

I'd give him a B...

Rolen is a clear upgrade over EE and one that will help the pitching staff though he can't be expected to play a full season. He got Rolen's remaining salary for '09 and all he had to do was give up EE (whose days were seemingly numbered in Cincy) and two relievers. It was probably a roughly even trade value wise. Roenicke looks cool on paper but his trade value isn't that impressive. The Reds are better for the trade assuming Rolen can play.

He got Wlad's potential for a bag of balls. It's minor trade but there is a chance Wlad can be a regular outfielder.

The Hairston deal? Well, meh.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Impossible to grade. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING hinges on what moves are or aren't made in the off-season. If there are corresponding moves that improves the 2010 team, then he did well. We'll see.

C.

Hard to argue with Rolen deal. Addresses a need and understands the current limitations of the minor league development system.

Balentien and Hairston deals are essentially zilcho deals.

C because I think there were other deals to be made.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd give the Rolen a B, but the other two lack oomph and more needs to be done, so C overall from me.

BTW, GOYA welcome to the party.
    Thanks.

I guess I should say what I voted. I gave Walt a D.

Manuel is a serviceable MLB pitcher and we got a guy only with potential and no current production. Hairston is an average guy and not a big deal. But Chase Weems looks like the bag the balls came in. I don't care where he was drafted, I don't see him getting anything done. I like Rolen a lot. EE and Roenicke I have no problem with. Zach Stewart I have a big problem with. Our SP is failing fast and we need all the chances we can get to have a solid rotation guy move up. Now it looks like Wood or nothing for a while. (Maybe Leake, but probably not soon).

So the only really good thing Walt did was marred by acheiving it by trading something we need. That's a D.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    C.

Hard to argue with Rolen deal. Addresses a need and understands the current limitations of the minor league development system.

Balentien and Hairston deals are essentially zilcho deals.

C because I think there were other deals to be made.
    I agree with your take, but graded it more harshly (D). The reason being, I also believe there were other major deals to be made. If you're going to cave on Toronto's demands for a guy with Rolen's limited vale to this team, why not do it back when the Reds were still within striking distance of the NL Central leaders? To wait this long, and still pay the premium price smacks of desperation. There seems to be precious little bigger picture plan here, and there desperately needs to be, because otherwise acquiring Rolen is a single drop of water in an ocean of necessary moves (and a very costly drop at that).

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I gave it an A.

He got rid of JHJ, which automatically makes us better.

He gave up nothing to take a flyer on Wlad.

And he gave up a question mark pitching prospect, an easily replaced (although I wish we had seen more of him) reliever, and a 3B who was run out of town for a GG 3B with a stick that ain't too shabby.

So, in a vacuum, I give those 3 moves an A.

F -

I want him fired immediately. When Zach Stewart and Josh Roenicke are succeeding at the major league level while we watch our pitchers come up short, Adam Rosales at 3B and Scott Rolen on the DL we'll wonder why he did this.

This is worse than signing Willy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Any deal that gets JHJ off the team, is a plus for me

I gave it a C.

I'm fine with Rolen deal, but 3rd base wasn't our main concern. At least he did something.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Reds are better for the trade assuming Rolen can play.
    That's my take too. Amidst all the what ifs and maybes, the Reds are, at this moment, a better team. He's no panacea, but he actually will add the things Jocketty talked about - pro hitter, quality defender, veteran know-how.

This isn't a line of B.S. like Gary Majewski will fix the bullpen and Royce Clayton will upgrade the defense.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?