Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amount Reds owe Rolen in '10 less than 11 million

Amount Reds owe Rolen in '10 less than 11 million

According to the MLB chat with Reds Asst. GM Bob Miller, the amount the Reds will pay Scott Rolen next year is less than the 11 million that has been previously reported. He didn't say how much less.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_cin
    Where we gonna go?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Amount Reds owe Rolen in '10 less than 11 million

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    According to the MLB chat with Reds Asst. GM Bob Miller, the amount the Reds will pay Scott Rolen next year is less than the 11 million that has been previously reported. He didn't say how much less.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_cin

$10,999,999.99
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Amount owed to Rolen in 2009 = $4M ($3M more than owed to EE).

Amount owed to Rolen in 2010 = $11M ($6.25M more than owed to EE).

Isn't there also $4M bonus they have to pay him in 2010?

If so, they owe him $19M from now until the end of 2010 ($13M+ more than EE). I thought Toronto sent them $4M to include Stewart. To me that pays for the remainder of Rolen's 2009 salary, but I don't see how that effects 2010 and the bonus they owe him.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Apparently the Reds are going to apply for a tax break under the "Cash for Clunkers" program.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

If so, they owe him $19M from now until the end of 2010 ($13M+ more than EE). I thought Toronto sent them $4M to include Stewart. To me that pays for the remainder of Rolen's 2009 salary, but I don't see how that effects 2010 and the bonus they owe him.
    Jays are paying all of 2009 I believe.

The Cards are responsible for the bonus of 4 million next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

Someone said it was reported the bonus is still being covered by St. Louis under the previous trade.

So if you prorate the $4 mil given to Cincinnati by Toronto (assuming that figure is accurate), against what is still owed this year to Rolen (somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.3 mil), then you have $11 mil minus $2.7 mil = roughly $9.3 mil.

So basically the Reds wind up paying Rolen, give or take, $4 mil more than what they were due to pay Encarnacion.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

High five!

Is this in addition to the Jays picking up Rolen's salary this year?

Why won't they just say how much?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Is this in addition to the Jays picking up Rolen's salary this year?

Why won't they just say how much?
    It's usually policy not to comment on the financial matters. Much of what is reported with cash dealings is not often disclosed by the teams directly.

But if that's the case about the Jays picking up the rest of the 2009 salary, then the Reds are only going to be paying roughly $2 million more than they would have paid Encarnacion.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I thought Rolen was still owed about $4 million for this year and the Blue Jays were picking it up. Where did the $1.3 million come from? What did I miss?

Next year - he's owed $11 million, and EE about $3.5 million = about $6.5 million more for Rolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Someone said it was reported the bonus is still being covered by St. Louis under the previous trade.

So if you prorate the $4 mil given to Cincinnati by Toronto (assuming that figure is accurate), against what is still owed this year to Rolen (somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.3 mil), then you have $11 mil minus $2.7 mil = roughly $9.3 mil.

So basically the Reds wind up paying Rolen, give or take, $4 mil more than what they were due to pay Encarnacion.

I read Miller's comments to mean the Reds aren't paying the entire amount owed to Rolen for 2010. Maybe the Jays are kicking in next year as well.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I thought Rolen was still owed about $4 million for this year and the Blue Jays were picking it up. Where did the $1.3 million come from? What did I miss?

Next year - he's owed $11 million, and EE about $3.5 million = about $6.5 million more for Rolen.
    Sorry, that was a mistake. I got my figures mixed up.

He is actually owed roughly another $3.7 mil this year. I guess the question is whether the Jays are picking up the tab on that in addition to throwing in $4 million or if that's all they're covering.

Encarnacion makes $4.75 mil next year.

So without any regard to whether the Jays are covering an undisclosed further amount next year, the difference is $6.25 mil.

High five!

We're gonna need a spreadsheet before this is over.

Haunted by walks

Rolen might be getting three different checks every payday. I hope he has direct deposit.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I thought they weren't adding payroll? Per Bobby C

I heard them say on Saturday the Jays were going to give Around
    7 million toward salary
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Turn Off Ads?