Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Walt graded out as...

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

4 3.70%
  • B

24 22.22%
  • C

28 25.93%
  • D

27 25.00%
  • F

25 23.15%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How did Walt do?

Re: How did Walt do?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    Don't forget the prospects, we gave up 2 prospects and 6M. Forget the straw man arguments about prospects not panning out, the business reality is that this trade decreased current assets(prospects) and increased future liabilities(cash).
    He also got back on of the best 3b in the history of baseball. Albiet not a srping chicken anymore, but then again not a 40 year old. Roenike was a nice pitcher, but nothing spectacular. He had control problems and tended to nibble. It doesn't matter how fast you throw the ball, good hitters can turn a 95 mph fastball around in a hurry if not located well. In the end this is all about Stewart and what kind of pitcher he will become. I would be awful warry of putting all my eggs in the basket of Stewart who until this year hadn't been a starting pitcher. I have a feeling that if Walt and Co. thought Stewart was an impact player and soon he wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

He didn't have to eat salary to get rid of a bad FA signing that he made. That's what passes for success now? If so then lets make sure we give equal weight to the unmitigated, and completely avoidable, disaster that is WT.
    I didn't mind the JHJ contract at the time. He had a good year last year and having a player who can play all over the field is an important piece on any NL team. I didn't think he would be as bad as he was this season, but Walt was still able to flip him at the deadline.

I agree its a no lose situation but we've seen how far dumpster diving alone can get us in the past. I'm not real excited about yet another GM that can generally only point to that as the positive side of his ledger.
    Dumpster diving can turn up gems from time to time. Some of the better players in today's game were acquired from teams who had let them go. Guys like Johan Santana, Brandon Phillips, Shane Victorino, Josh Hamilton, etc. were all acquired after they were released or left off the teams 40 man roster. Whenever you can add talent you do that.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I gave him a D. He overpaid for Rolen who he likely could have gotten in December for EE and Roenicke while keeping the only starting pitching prospect who projects to have the stuff to be better than a #4 starter above Low A, still improved the team for 2010. That move gets an F from me because it also means the Reds 2010 salary obligations at already near $70,000,000 without a starting SS or a bench at all (outside of Balentien), meaning we aren't going to do much of anything in free agency.

I liked the Balentien pick up a lot, a solid B on that one to get a lackluster performer with a very high ceiling for a 6th inning reliever with less than 10 major league innings under his belt.

Hairston was basically a non move. We saved what, $150,000 and got a no hit, no defense catcher in Low A? That does nothing for me at all. No bearing on 2010 and on.

Overall thats a D if I want to be friendly. I was wanting to be friendly today.

Voted C, but reserve the right to change the grade on Aug 31.

Hey Bob, maybe we still in it?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

you will need this:

to do this:

sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Hey Bob, maybe we still in it?
    We're the only team I know whose ownership/FO are on public record saying they are still n contention mode, even as the odds makers are putting markers on their outside chances to catch the worst team in the league for a top draft pick.

Maybe if we tank our way into a top 3 pick, Walt can trade Strasburg as a PTBNL for Jim Edmonds.
    Last edited by Stormy; 08-02-2009 at 11:31 PM.

I'm fine with getting Rolen, but I have to believe that Riccardi would have settled for less.

Being bested in a trade by J.P. freaking Riccardi is like losing a home run derby to Norris Hopper.

And I'm not sure what the Hairston deal was all about. Was Jerry a clubhouse cancer or something? We could actually use him right now, which is a pretty sad commentary on the current state of affairs.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I gave him a D. He overpaid for Rolen who he likely could have gotten in December for EE and Roenicke while keeping the only starting pitching prospect who projects to have the stuff to be better than a #4 starter above Low A, still improved the team for 2010. That move gets an F from me because it also means the Reds 2010 salary obligations at already near $70,000,000 without a starting SS or a bench at all (outside of Balentien), meaning we aren't going to do much of anything in free agency.
    False.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    We're the only team I know whose ownership/FO are on public record saying they are still n contention mode, even as the odds makers are putting markers on their outside chances to catch the worst team in the league for a top draft pick.
    Besides giving up too much for a 34 year old declining player with back issues, that's the part about this deal I find most vexing. They really do think they are "still in it" and that Rolen will somehow make a difference this year. Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Besides giving up too much for a 34 year old declining player with back issues, that's the part about this deal I find most vexing. They really do think they are "still in it" and that Rolen will somehow make a difference this year. Bizarre.
    Rolen's OPS over the last 3 years:

2007: .729
    2008: .780
    2009: .834

I know he isn't the guy that he was in the early 00s, but I wouldn't say that he is "declining" either. And, as we have already seen on a few occasions, he can still pick it at 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Rolen's OPS over the last 3 years:

2007: .729
    2008: .780
    2009: .834

I know he isn't the guy that he was in the early 00s, but I wouldn't say that he is "declining" either. And, as we have already seen on a few occasions, he can still pick it at 3rd.
    Walt was fooled by a hot 1/2 season. Maybe Rolen even carries it the rest of the year. But betting on him to continue at that level of production considering his skills are declining is a suckers bet.

Walt was fooled by a hot 1/2 season. Maybe Rolen even carries it the rest of the year. But betting on him to continue at that level of production considering his skills are declining is a suckers bet.
    I assume that the Reds staff disagrees on the "declining skills" part of the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I assume that the Reds staff disagrees on the "declining skills" part of the discussion.
    as well as with Rolen's birth certificate.

edabbs44 showed that his skills aren't declining. But you keep saying they are. How about proving your point? I don't see any reason why he can't be an .800+ OPS player next season. His health is a much bigger concern.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I don't see any reason why he can't be an .800+ OPS player next season.

Turn Off Ads?