Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Walt graded out as...

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

4 3.70%
  • B

24 22.22%
  • C

28 25.93%
  • D

27 25.00%
  • F

25 23.15%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How did Walt do?

Re: How did Walt do?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    No, I said skills. Big difference.
    Actually you said "declining player", which I guess could mean either.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The question says next year.

Interesting if the $$$ estimate is incorrect.
    I wonder why the $$$ are such a mystery? It would be a nice thing to know.

But those are big maybes, and it's not out of bounds to suggest they exist.
    They definitely exist. But Rolen isn't at the age where we can really flag that as a huge concern.

Now, if he gives him 3 more years...

I think everyone is entitled to a screwup every so often. Especially one that is fairly cheap.
    And honestly, the screwup wouldn't be such a big deal if Dusty would just relegate him to a bench role.

Actually you said "declining player", which I guess could mean either.
    In my first response I said "declining player" which I then further clarified in subsequent posts...

Walt was fooled by a hot 1/2 season. Maybe Rolen even carries it the rest of the year. But betting on him to continue at that level of production considering his skills are declining is a suckers bet.
    You can get hinkie about not understanding my concept if you must, but you've yet to offer a reasonable defense to the idea that people slow as they age or that it's perfectly reasonable to wonder if/how much of that decline takes place while in a Reds uni.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I wonder why the $$$ are such a mystery? It would be a nice thing to know.
    Agreed. It may slow down some of the criticism if the financials are released. Of course, it could also cause the criticism to increase even more. It all depends on how much the Reds actually owe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    And honestly, the screwup wouldn't be such a big deal if Dusty would just relegate him to a bench role.
    That I agree with.

I can't understand why both Wayne and Walt have had such an issue with walking into his office and telling him that Patterson and Taveras need to take a seat and he is getting fired if it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Don't worry BRM, I was assured that if Willy flopped he wouldn't receive undue playing time because Teh Dusty would surely sit him down.

I can't understand why both Wayne and Walt have had such an issue with walking into his office and telling him that Patterson and Taveras need to take a seat and he is getting fired if it doesn't happen.

same owner
    2015, baby!

You can get hinkie about not understanding my concept if you must, but you've yet to offer a reasonable defense to the idea that people slow as they age or that it's perfectly reasonable to wonder if/how much of that decline takes place while in a Reds uni.
    I'm not defending anything. I only took issue with the "declining player" quote since he has actually been the opposite over the past few years.

Obviously players slow as they age. No disagreement there. But he is currently playing well both at the plate and with the glove, so I think it is safe to assume that we will not see a complete collapse in the near future.

We can wonder all we want, but I'm not sure that the concerns of an age related decline of a material manner are warranted based upon what we are seeing. At least for 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    same owner
    It's weird.

Obviously players slow as they age. No disagreement there. But he is currently playing well both at the plate and with the glove, so I think it is safe to assume that we will not see a complete collapse in the near future.

old guys collapse

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....33/index.html
    2015, baby!

Rolen bucked the trend, since he improved from 32 to 33 and again from 33 to 34.

He is a freak of nature.

From Fox Sports Deadline Winners and Losers.

Winner: Reds

Just getting rid of Edwin Encarnacion makes the Reds a winner, but getting Scott Rolen in return amounts to a low-profile coup. Encarnacion's lackluster play and demeanor had become a disaster for the organization. He was horrible in the field and almost annually needed trips to the minors to wake up his bat. Adding Rolen puts a veteran presence on a team whose best players are still quite young.

Miller: "I know that it seems like a totally idiotic trade but trust me, it's not. I just can't tell you why though."
    I don't know if Miller is privy to important information that those outside of the Reds FO aren't privy to, but here is Zach Stewart's bio pic from his minor league baseball stats page:

"This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?