Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hope the local talk shows are lit up....

I hope the local talk shows are lit up....

I hope Walt Jockety is buried alive on the local talk shows until he and Baker are fired. And if he isn't then the locals deserve everything they get.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I hope the local talk shows are lit up....

They should be on the hot seat for the performance this season, not for this trade.

Stat geek...and proud

If the talk show callers hate the deal, then it's likely a good one. And vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    They should be on the hot seat for the performance this season, not for this trade.
    I care about the organization as a whole. I could care less about one particular season over another.

The goal for a market the size of Cincinnati is to win a World Series without sacrificing the future. If you're "very" close one particular season, you can go for it at that time, if the price isn't too high.

Because the REDS can NEVER EVER have an 8-man lineup equal to the Cubs or the Cardinals or the Phillies or the Dodgers or the Mets becuase of economics, the REDS have only one formula available that can win for them the World Series.

The Formula:

1. They must have during one particular year 1, and they only need 1, pitcher who is among the 6 best pitchers in the Majors that particular season.

2. They must have an excellent bullpen.

3. They must have great defense.

4. They must have a Manager that understands Lineup Construction 101.

5. They must have clutch hitting.

That formula won it for Minnesota twice, it won it for the REDS in 1990. It was on it's way to win it for the REDS in 2011.

This trade doesn't fit any of those scenarios because Rolen won't be a RED in 2011 when they would have had a chance to succeed. It also sabotages their future losing a pitcher in Stewart that showed potential to be top-of-the-rotation pitching or, at the very worse, part of an excellent bullpen.

At any time with any franchise, you can never make flat-out stupid trades. (For anyone who doesn't think this is a stupid trade, put your name down here please so you can be reminded three, four, five, six, and seven years from now how wrong you were...though it's not your fault, you just haven't seen Stewart pitched, so you have no knowledge about him whatsoever.)

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    If the talk show callers hate the deal, then it's likely a good one. And vice versa.
    I understand what you're saying there, but this trade was so stupid (it stinks rancidly of collusion or under-the-table payments from one owner to another), that those who DO UNDERSTAND how stupid it is, will get on the phone and call in.

Never thought you'd have to be ashamed to be a REDS' fan, but today you definitely do.

Get back to me in two years when he's the next Tim Lincecum, feel free to put my name down. Of course, we'll take your gold word for it the guy is the next best pitcher in MLB, because you saw him pitch.

I'm tired of our lineup being filled with Triple A fill-ins, preseason minor league contract signees, and untradable dead weight like Taveras and Gonzalez. It's nice to have someone in the lineup, NOW, who is actually a legitimate baseball player. No, we won't make the playoffs with him. We're not with the players we traded either. This franchise has such crappy morale, its nice to have a legitimate player in the lineup that will be the second best hitter not named Votto to play, and hopefully a clubhouse presence to raise some morale on this craphole team.

No one outside of a handful of us on the board know who Zach Stewart is or care. I'd be surprised if half the talk show host even know what position he played if you asked them.

I'm tired of our lineup being filled with Triple A fill-ins, preseason minor league contract signees, and untradable dead weight like Taveras and Gonzalez. It's nice to have someone in the lineup, NOW, who is actually a legitimate baseball player.
    ....and what's that gonna get you? Another mediocre season....when a Stewart could have been an important piece of several playoff teams from 2011-2021.

Get back to me in two years when he's the next Tim Lincecum, feel free to put my name down. Of course, we'll take your gold word for it the guy is the next best pitcher in MLB, because you saw him pitch.

I'm tired of our lineup being filled with Triple A fill-ins, preseason minor league contract signees, and untradable dead weight like Taveras and Gonzalez. It's nice to have someone in the lineup, NOW, who is actually a legitimate baseball player. No, we won't make the playoffs with him. We're not with the players we traded either. This franchise has such crappy morale, its nice to have a legitimate player in the lineup that will be the second best hitter not named Votto to play, and hopefully a clubhouse presence to raise some morale on this craphole team.

I agree completely with both statements!! We can actually run out solid 3hitters in a row every night. (Granted, I believe in a different order than Baker is going to do with Phillips in the 4 slot). You can put my name down as well IF Stewart turns out to be the next multi-Cy Young winner.
    We can only hope that this is the beginning of many moves over the next 7 months before next year's Spring Training.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    ....and what's that gonna get you? Another mediocre season....when a Stewart could have been an important piece of several playoff teams from 2011-2021.
    Or he could burn out and be nothing more than a marginal MLB player, which is what usually happens to most even highly touted prospects. The Pirates trade their main players year after year for prospects, but never seem to get any better. They field teams that look like minor league teams. Just getting some morale in this clubhouse and having a legitimate player in the lineup will help the team get more wins, which I'm all for.

Jay Bruce could bomb. Should we trade him for a 34 year old outfielder with injury problems? This cat and mouse game we are playing is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Jay Bruce could bomb. Should we trade him for a 34 year old outfielder with injury problems? This cat and mouse game we are playing is silly.
    Jay Bruce also was a prospect of the year by several publications. If Zach Stewart landed that honor, I would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MESSMVP View Post
    I agree completely with both statements!! We can actually run out solid 3hitters in a row every night. (Granted, I believe in a different order than Baker is going to do with Phillips in the 4 slot). You can put my name down as well IF Stewart turns out to be the next multi-Cy Young winner.
    We can only hope that this is the beginning of many moves over the next 7 months before next year's Spring Training.
    Dusty, you shouldn't be on this website unless you use the name, "Dusty".

I hope Walt Jockety is buried alive on the local talk shows until he and Baker are fired. And if he isn't then the locals deserve everything they get.

I agree with Baker needing to be fully evaluated by everyone in the FO and really consider making a change...especially, since he stated at the beginning of the year that this was the exact team he has always wanted to coach. I think I would have preferred a team with some offensive potential.

I still think we have to give Jockety a chance because he was handed some large contracts that seem to be untradeable.

Dusty, you shouldn't be on this website unless you use the name, "Dusty".

Wouldn't want to do that too much b/c we all know what can happen if you call a coach by his first name or call him "Coach"...just ask the kid that did that to Bobby Knight at IU

Turn Off Ads?