Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Did you know...

  1. #1
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,492

    Did you know...

    Was doing some salary research for another post I was intending to make. Saw a very disgusting fact that, I think, really hammers home the kind of poor situation the Reds are in with financial flexibility.

    Did you know the Reds have the highest ratio designated to relief pitchers of all teams in Major League Baseball? It's 29%, according to a spreadsheet linked on Cot's Contracts. Sickening that $20.8 mil is tied up to the relievers. Throw in Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang, and now you have $42.3 million allocated in eight or nine pitchers, all but two of which are not even starters.

    Consider the Reds' payroll is $71.5.

    I like that the Reds went out and got Weathers and Cordero, but boy is that ever a disproportionate amount to delegate to relief pitching when your budget is so tight.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: Did you know...

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Ya know, I really do appreciate what Weathers has done for the Reds over the last 4 1/2 seasons but if we have $20m+ tied up in the bullpen in 2010 ...
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  4. #3
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: Did you know...

    I was about to start a similar thread. This is the reason the Rolen deal is so awful IMO. Stewart and Roenicke represented the high octane arms needed to take over in the pen and reallocate some of this money to other areas. Now, I see no way to deal Cordero to reduce cost and even if the team lets Weathers walk, they probably will need to go out and spend similar money to replace him.

    Unless the budget goes up, the team marketing slogan should be "5th place again, in 2010."
    Last edited by mth123; 08-01-2009 at 07:18 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  5. #4
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,662

    Re: Did you know...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Was doing some salary research for another post I was intending to make. Saw a very disgusting fact that, I think, really hammers home the kind of poor situation the Reds are in with financial flexibility.

    Did you know the Reds have the highest ratio designated to relief pitchers of all teams in Major League Baseball? It's 29%, according to a spreadsheet linked on Cot's Contracts. Sickening that $20.8 mil is tied up to the relievers. Throw in Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang, and now you have $42.3 million allocated in eight or nine pitchers, all but two of which are not even starters.

    Consider the Reds' payroll is $71.5.

    I like that the Reds went out and got Weathers and Cordero, but boy is that ever a disproportionate amount to delegate to relief pitching when your budget is so tight.
    Said the same thing a couple weeks ago. It use to be they'd disproportionately spend all that money on position players, while going on the "cheap" for marginal pitchers (retreads, reclamation projects, and one-year wonders).

    We now looking for those "Jimmy Haynes'" to man our OF/INF. :
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  6. #5
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,628

    Re: Did you know...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Was doing some salary research for another post I was intending to make. Saw a very disgusting fact that, I think, really hammers home the kind of poor situation the Reds are in with financial flexibility.

    Did you know the Reds have the highest ratio designated to relief pitchers of all teams in Major League Baseball? It's 29%, according to a spreadsheet linked on Cot's Contracts. Sickening that $20.8 mil is tied up to the relievers. Throw in Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang, and now you have $42.3 million allocated in eight or nine pitchers, all but two of which are not even starters.

    Consider the Reds' payroll is $71.5.

    I like that the Reds went out and got Weathers and Cordero, but boy is that ever a disproportionate amount to delegate to relief pitching when your budget is so tight.
    I've beat that Reds pen is exhorbinantly expensive drum a couple of times. It just doesn't require spending a ton of money to build a quality pen.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  7. #6
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Did you know...

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I've beat that Reds pen is exhorbinantly expensive drum a couple of times. It just doesn't require spending a ton of money to build a quality pen.
    It's funny, because this was one of Jocketty's strength with the Cardinals. Keep filling the pen with lots of cheap options. Some will do better than others, but they are all easily replaceable.

    I know he was stuck with Cordero's contract, but Rhodes, Weathers and Lincoln really didn't need to be signed, and that's true regardless of how well/poorly they have pitched.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  8. #7
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,492

    Re: Did you know...

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    It's funny, because this was one of Jocketty's strength with the Cardinals. Keep filling the pen with lots of cheap options. Some will do better than others, but they are all easily replaceable.

    I know he was stuck with Cordero's contract, but Rhodes, Weathers and Lincoln really didn't need to be signed, and that's true regardless of how well/poorly they have pitched.
    For me, $2 mil is kind of my imaginary line for signing a good reliever. At that price, I think Arthur Rhodes is a real good bargain. But he had a real good track record to justify. Mike Lincoln signed at $1.5 or David Weathers (who at least does have a good history) at nearly $4 mil is exorbitant, in my opinion. Sometimes it's necessary to pick up one or two of these guys if you're lacking in-house options. But $20 mil on some 3-4 bullpen arms is sickening.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  9. #8
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: Did you know...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    For me, $2 mil is kind of my imaginary line for signing a good reliever. At that price, I think Arthur Rhodes is a real good bargain. But he had a real good track record to justify. Mike Lincoln signed at $1.5 or David Weathers (who at least does have a good history) at nearly $4 mil is exorbitant, in my opinion. Sometimes it's necessary to pick up one or two of these guys if you're lacking in-house options. But $20 mil on some 3-4 bullpen arms is sickening.
    The two best in house options are gone now.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  10. #9
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,492

    Re: Did you know...

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The two best in house options are gone now.
    I personally like Carlos Fisher long term better than Roenicke. And Nick Masset has closer stuff. I don't think the Reds are depleted from finding capable bullpen replacements.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25