Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 56 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen traded to the Reds

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

I still hate this trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope Walt got a jar of vaseline in the deal

I would have been okay with EE and Roenicke... maybe. But Stewart, too? It's not like Rolen is on the upside of his career... I still think this is a stupid move.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

scared the total _uck out of me, I officially hate the trade dealine

High five!

So, with that haul, the Jays have to be picking up some of Rolen's salary, right?

Right?

I'm slightly less angry!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    No, he's not. The steroid era is over, guys at 34 and 35 are regressing now pretty hard. Not even mentioning the Reds aren't really going to have Scott Rolen playing third next year full time, they're going to have Scott Rolen for 450 at bats and then some other scrub for the rest. If they're lucky, that's just assuming he misses his average amount of time that he's missed the past few years and not more, which is a big assumption with a guy in his mid 30s with a bad back.
    Agreed. It's a vapid move to stat with, so at the very least let's hope we traded very little of future relevance for him. I don't believe Alonso for a moment, unless it's a greatly expanded deal from the Jays side. Walt's not moving his top draft pick in this scenario, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Right on. I just wasted several perfectly good expletives on faulty information!
    You and me both. I mean, I wasted what Ltlabner stated was a perfectly placed and appropriate "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" reference if this doesn't come to fruition. For the sake of my reference, I hope the Alonso part is true!*

* just kidding
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I'm still kind of bullish on this deal. But I've at least talked myself off the cliff I was about to jump off of.

I'm OK with this deal.

I believe the FO lost faith in EE becoming the consistent player they needed. Rolen is a temporary fix until a younger player is ready, to be sure, but I'm fine with taking a shot on the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    EE, Roenicke, and Zach Stewart for Rolen

Don't you feel better about this than you would if the Alonso rumor hadn't been floated first?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Player for player wise, I love this deal. I hope the economics don't hinder the club.

I've seen enough of Walt Jocketty.

They got friggin' hosed in this deal.

Stewart?

They must really think Rolen is still what he was seven years ago.

Dummies.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    So, with that haul, the Jays have to be picking up some of Rolen's salary, right?

Right?
    They better be paying all of it.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?