Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen traded to the Reds

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

I just fear Rolens injury problems will creep up on this team...

You'll be missed Zach Stewart and Josh Roenicke(Great guy.. met and chatted with him at RedsFest)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Good luck with that. $55M is tied up in Arroyo, Harang, Cordero, Rolen and Phillips. Thats 20 other spots that need to be filled with about 15-20 million. We aren't getting anyone this offseason unless its in a trade and even then where will the money come from to pay him?
    Look for either Harang or Arroyo to clear waivers and be traded in August. With the $11-$12 million savings, we can make a hefty downpayment on a real TOR free-agent pitcher this winter, say, Brandon Webb.

Then we can use the savings from Gonzalez leaving ($5.375 million) and Hernandez leaving ($8 M) to get us a decent free-agent SS (say Scutaro, now with the Blue Jays), free-agent LF (say the Yanks' Nady signing cheap after coming off an injury-plagued season) and maybe even a reliable catching tandem partner for Hanigan (say KC's Miguel Olivo).

Go that route, and in a weak NL Central division, we can most certainly compete in 2010. Consider the possibilities:

Lineup:

CF Dickerson/Heisey/Stubbs
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    3B Rolen
    LF Nady
    RF Bruce
    SS Scutaro
    C Hanigan/Olivo

Rotation

Webb
    Volquez
    Cueto
    Harang
    Bailey/Owings

Closer

Cordero

Stewart - CY Young winner

Rolen - HOFer

Sound even to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    The hyperbole around here is comical.

I'm still waiting for that Bailey fellow to pan out too.

Maybe he will, maybe he won't....but now Zack Stewart is going to win a Cy Young?

Hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    For the first time ever, I'm considering just dropping the Reds. I can't believe I'm saying that because I'm an absolute diehard fan. I have never felt like this before. I travel four hours to Cincy at least 5-6 times a year and usually attend 12-14 games a year. And for what? To watch them lose. Unfortunately, I've already bought tickets to the series against the Nats (hey! at least I get to see Dunner) but this may be the last time I go. I need to be just drop the Reds and become a Cardinals fan. Walt Jocketty and the Reds have sucked the life out of me.
    OBM,

You sound just like me... only about 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    You have to think that one of Harang/Arroyo/CoCo is traded by Aug 31...there's just not enough room, $$$-wise to improve this team, as it is now, come 2010.
    I'd like to think so, but the Reds/Jocketty aren't out there to deal them to, so it may not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I'd like to think so, but the Reds/Jocketty aren't out there to deal them to, so it may not happen.
    I'm just saying that that is what makes sense to me. They HAVE to unload one of them to give them room to build upon this move going into next year. There are just too many holes to leave the status quo.

Then again, we had the same holes before the 2009, so who the hell knows? :sad:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas.../10329196.html

OAKLAND -- When the Blue Jays started shopping Scott Rolen these past couple of weeks it was as a courtesy to a player who had asked to be moved closer to his Indiana home for personal reasons.

But when the deal was struck, it was so attractive to the Jays that general manager J.P. Ricciardi said he would have had to consider it under any circumstances.

Rolen was dealt to the Reds yesterday in exchange for third baseman Edwin Encarnacion and pitchers Zach Stewart and Josh Roenicke.

“We were able to get younger at third base and we really, really like the arms we got back, plus we saved $6 million (on Rolen’s 2010 salary),” said Ricciardi. “We weren’t going to trade him just for the sake of trading him but, even if he hadn’t asked (for the trade) we would have had to take a hard look at this as presented.”

Encarnacion is making $2 million this year and will earn $4.75 million next year, about $6.25 million less than Rolen. In limited playing time this year, the 26-year-old from the Dominican Republic was hitting just .209 with five home runs, well off his career averages.

In 514 big-league games he has averaged .261 with 71 homers and 263 RBI.

Roenicke has split his season between Triple A Louisville and with the Reds. At Louisville, he appeared in 27 games with 12 saves and an ERA of 2,.57. With the Reds he has a 2.70 ERA in 11 games.

Stewart was a third round pick in the 2008 draft but has rocketed through the minors, pitching at A, Double A and Triple A this year. In his two minor-league seasons, he has a 5-5 record with a 1.52 ERA and seven saves.

“We’ll evaluate (Stewart) a little more before we decide what to do with him,” said Ricciardi. “He might be a starter but our scouts think he might be closer to the big leagues as a back-end-of-the-bullpen kind of guy.”

One thing that I like is how 4/5 of the infield will look:

C - Hanigan
    1st - Votto
    2nd - Phillips
    SS - ????
    3rd - Rolen

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    OBM,

Yeah, you were originally a Reds fan, right?

I'm strongly considering it man. I can't believe I'm saying that. I hated the Cardinals there for a few years but my opinion of them has changed completely in the last year or so. They are just a great organization dedicated to winning. They'll do anything to win. They're fans are unbelievable. They don't run their great players out of town or give up on young players early. I'm sick and tired of the Reds crap.

Baseball Prospectus: We're scratching our heads here

Rolen is having a fantastic season (.320/.370/.476 with defense about five runs above average), but even assuming he has waived his no-trade clause, this one's a puzzler. The remaining money on Rolen's deal (about $3.5 million this season, and $11 million for next) represents a substantial burden for a notoriously cost-conscious team, and given that the Reds have lost 18 of their past 26 games, they're hardly contenders -- fifth in the NL Central at 9½ out, ninth in the wild-card standings at 10½ out

--------

We're scratching our heads too.

I could see making a move like this if we were on the cusp of winning the division, making the post-season, and needing that little extra UMMMPH. But we're not.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Exactly. According to BA, Stewart just barely missed their top 50 midseason prospect list.

BA on the trade:

J.J. Cooper: Actually it's Zack Stewart, Edwin Encarnacion and Josh Roenicke for Scott Rolen. Alonso and EE for Rolen would have been historically bad in the Kazmir-Zambrano bracket of bad trades. This one still seems absolutely baffling for the Reds. They pick up a 34-year-old 3B with an 11-million contract for next year who traded straight up for Troy Glaus just a year and a half ago. Rolen makes the Reds a better team for the rest of the year, but the difference between being a 74 and a 78 win team is absolutely meaningless. Our Reds correspondent John Fay reported recently that the Reds payroll for next year will likely be static or down from this year's payroll, signing Rolen adds another expensive, injury-prone player on the downside of his career to a club that needs some more young, cheap talent.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1249058713

This is classic. It comes from the school of "The Reds? They have no right to try to be good soon. Their role is produce possibilities on a low payroll. "

I'm sure Fay, cited in the article, would be the first to say that it's too soon to estimate next year's payroll.

If the Reds acquired A-Rod these guys would all say -- "Why? It's not the right plan. It's too soon. It's too late. Not now. Not later. Never."

Really, now, this trade is a bold move, a risk, but Rolen may be a Hall of Famer, he's not that old, so folks should just live with it. Maybe they'll win a few games.

If the Reds are as stupid as I fear and extend Rolen two more years and $20M , I'd probably put the over/under at about 200 total games played. A competent GM would consider that, think the under all too likely and be too scared/smart to make the deal, much less include a solid young arm.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    His stuff didn't project to be more than a #3 starter at the time. He was also a college guy in Low A with good but not great strikeout rates. He wasn't a top 10 guy in the system at the time.
    That really wasn't my point. My point is the hand wringing over dealing prospects, esp. pitchers, throwing out "future Cy Young" hyperbole, when he has not thrown one pitch in the Major Leagues, when there is a high probability that he will be nothing but someone who made it to the majors. Your words in a Zach Ward thread the day he was traded were "I liked him." Now, there apparently wasn't really anything to like.

And who knows if he wasn't just exhibiting a hot streak of his own at higher levels in the minors.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Yeah, you were originally a Reds fan, right?

I'm strongly considering it man. I can't believe I'm saying that. I hated the Cardinals there for a few years but my opinion of them has changed completely in the last year or so. They are just a great organization dedicated to winning. They'll do anything to win. They're fans are unbelievable. They don't run their great players out of town or give up on young players early. I'm sick and tired of the Reds crap.
    You're not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    OBM,

15 years ago the Reds were a pretty fine team.

You must have been wearing future goggles to dump them for the Birds at that point.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?