Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen traded to the Reds

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    Good trade, if we are going to have any shot at competing in 2010 then we needed this trade.
    But we have no shot of contending in 2010, so it's worse than pointless, it's actively deleterious to the franchise.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This would have been a good deal for Rolen three or four years ago. Now? Not so much. Especially with the current state of the team.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Truthfully I think this organization is still playing for 2009 ... otherwise this deal makes no sense because long term it is almost a certain loser.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't know. I'd pretty much chew off a limb to get rid of Encarnacion. I like Roenicke, but if Stewart doesn't pan out then it's Roenicke for Rolen and that strikes me as a winner for the Reds.
    Exactly. And I'm not even that high on Roenicke. This is all about Stewart for me. If he turns into a 1, 2 or 3 starter in the bigs, it's probably a bad deal. If he turns into a back-end guy or bullpen fodder, it's a good deal.

My guess is the latter is more likely than the former.

White Sox have traded for Peavy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Wild thought here: maybe neither team got realy quality. Perhaps Rolen declines as he ages and gets hurt. Maybe EE continues to play 3rd like a DH and never develops his bat, Stewart never reaches the majors and Roenicke is a midle of the road middle reliever.
    Stewart is in AAA right now pitching lights out. Odds that he never reaches the majors are about 1000 to 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Wild thought here: maybe neither team got realy quality. Perhaps Rolen declines as he ages and gets hurt. Maybe EE continues to play 3rd like a DH and never develops his bat, Stewart never reaches the majors and Roenicke is a midle of the road middle reliever.
    So the best case scenario is that everyone involved tanks? Way to aim high, Jock.

Hate to see Stewart as part of the deal, but I don't think EE was a big draw in himself. On Stewart, let's remember how overpowering Ryan Wagner once seemed, another guy who blitzed through the minors. Rolen makes the infield immediately better. If we add a decent SS, the infield next year becomes first-rate. That's not nothing. Signing of Rolen may mean, too, that the FO is higher on Frazier than we've thought--i.e. that somebody thinks he really can hold down LF.

I don't know. I'd pretty much chew off a limb to get rid of Encarnacion. I like Roenicke, but if Stewart doesn't pan out then it's Roenicke for Rolen and that strikes me as a winner for the Reds.
    This could be totally true.

But unless the rest of the team is acyallt contender worthy over the next year, then it's a lose lose basically. Who knows if Rolen is still going to a viable trading chip at this point next year, if he's not, due to injury or whatever, the Reds just traded some of their better young talent to upgrade a reall really bad team, that is not a Rolen, or even a Halladay away from contending.

The Reds really want to get to .500. Too bad they aren't going to make it.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Stewart is in AAA right now pitching lights out. Odds that he never reaches the majors are about 1000 to 1.

Okay, well he reaches the majors and turns into a pumpkin. Very good odds on that.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    So the best case scenario is that everyone involved tanks? Way to aim high, Jock.

Aiming low or being a realist?

Welcome to the group of maybe 4 people here that doesn't think this deal dooms the Reds forever..

One of Walt's strengths in StL was converting marginal prospects into ML talent.

EdE reached the point of being useless. He has negative value.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    The Reds really want to get to .500. Too bad they aren't going to make it.

That's exactly what it is.

How many teams try to "go for it" to make it to .500?

Walt is innovative I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Welcome to the group of maybe 4 people here that doesn't think this deal dooms the Reds forever..
    With the exception of some very emotional posts (made by typically emotional posters) nobody here is saying this move dooms the Reds forever.

Turn Off Ads?