Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen traded to the Reds

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Way above Wood and probably above Bailey. Now about Volquez because it looks like his injury could be very serious.

Awful awful day for the Reds.
    Why above Wood? He's a college pitcher and they put up similar numbers only Wood's a HS pitcher if I remember right.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    . I know we have said this before but lets see what they do in the offseason...
    ...and then wait for the next trade deadline, then the next offseason, over and OVER, and OOOOVER.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Once again. Good perspective.

There is a decent chance that Stewart won't pan out. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

It's just that I wonder if better players from another organization couldn't have been had with that same package.

I'm not as mad about what will be as I am about what could have been.
    Fair points, Stewart might have had some market.

Provided Rolen stays healthy, he can hit cleanup for the Reds behind Votto and it pushes Phillips up to the #2 slot (not ideally where you'd hit Phillips, but it's an upgrade over what Dusty's been batting there).

I feel a bit bad Rolen actually. He's probably looking at getting dealt this time next year, then signing a free agent after that. He could be with four clubs in a short span of time.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    With the exception of some very emotional posts (made by typically emotional posters) nobody here is saying this move dooms the Reds forever.
    most here think the major league roster is 3-4 impact players away from being a legitimate contender ... it is hard to see how a gimpy 35 year old with declining power is going to a major impact.

Will he be an improvement over EE? Yes, if he can stay healthy.

I don't mind losing Roenicke (middle relief is fungible) but Stewart has some serious upside. Honestly I would rather it have been Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Actually the odds aren't good on that. The guy has a 1.67 ERA, incredible groundball rates, two plus pitches and control as a starter. Those guys don't turn into pumpkins all that often, much less at a high rate.
    And weather he turns into a pumpkin or doesn't it's not wise to trade promising prospects for a guy who's chances of making even the rest of this season without injury isn't real intelligent.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    That's right. Now, all they need to do is figure out where are they going to find/afford the requisite LF, SS, CF?, SPs to turn perhaps the worst team in the NL into a playoff team within the next 8 months?
    If they are healthy next year and Bruce comes to play then the job becomes a little easier.

But it's still a big job.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Once again. Good perspective.

There is a decent chance that Stewart won't pan out. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

It's just that I wonder if better players from another organization couldn't have been had with that same package.

I'm not as mad about what will be as I am about what could have been.
    That is my biggest issue with this trade. Stewart has thrown one year of starting baseball in the minor leagues. After that they moved him to the pen in order to limit his innings. In all likelihood he will be on an innings limit over the next few seasons as he tries to build up starter innings.

It is a scouts and front offices job to analyze each prospect and how well they project to the next level. The good organizations are the ones who are able to tell which minor leaguer doesn't translate well to the majors and boost up their value. If I am ranking young arms in the Reds system I rank Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, and Wood over Stewart. Sorry Wood gets the nod because he is a lefty. Not to mention that one should be about to enter the pipeline in Leake.

As for Roenike he was an interesting prospect but it looked like he has been passed up by Fisher, Massett, and Burton. The Reds as of late have shown the ability to produce live pen arms. Roenike may go on and have a great career, but even then I am not sweating his departure.

I like the deal. It makes the 2010 Reds a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    How about giving up your #2 and 3 prospects plus more for an injured pitcher?
    Jake Peavy though. I don't recall if his injury is arm related, but I'm pretty sure he is expected to be fine upon his return.

Reds are so stupid. Oh well, training camp is about to start.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yep, and fixing the defense too.

This deal gives me hope that the franchise actually has a pulse.

I could care less about Zach Stewart right now.

I knew that no matter what happened today, people would not be pleased.
    This board SO overvalues Reds' prospects, that it is absurd.
    Can you point me to some of "this board's" posts overvaluing the Reds prospects?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I know we have said this before but lets see what they do in the offseason...
    Why?

Bring back Krivsky!!!!!!!!!

This is a commitment to 2010. The Reds must follow through on that commitment with other acquisitions. Otherwise, it is a waste.

Espn is reporting that the Reds have not traded for Yunil Escobar.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Can you point me to some of "this board's" posts overvaluing the Reds prospects?
    Dougdirt has booked Z Stewart as winning a Cy Young for Toronto.

Turn Off Ads?