Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen traded to the Reds

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Dave, is it terrible just because Stewart was in it?
    Or because you dislike Rolen?
    Yes. Both. They go hand in hand. I don't think Rolen can stay healthy.
    I think Stewart is one of the more valuable properties the reds had in their minor league system.

I could stomach Edwin and Stewart. I think it's too much, but I could stomach it. Edwin, Stewart AND Roeicke is just terrible.

Is Scott Rolen going to be around for the next reds team that really matters? No. By putting him on the payroll, they can't go shopping for free agents this winter. It stops the franchise dead in it's tracks.

They still need a shortstop and a leftfielder and now with injuries and setbacks a good bit of that minor league pitching depth is gone.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

So what it comes down to: Is Rolen done? Is Stewart the real deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Considering you almost always are in disagreement with the rest of "the board", you'll never find anything where the entire board agrees on something. Except that I'm awesome. Everyone does agree on that.
    Don't see the point on this commnet. I don't think I've seen a single transaction that the entire board has ever agreed on. If we got Hallday for Zach Stewart, there would still be teeth gnashing over taking on the salary, and what a great prospect Stewart was.

If you're trying to point out that you are somehow "cooler" than me..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't care where they come from as long as they are good ballplayers.
    I don't care either but will the trade options be that much better in the offseason?

That's an honest question, btw!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Toronto has some of the best pitching coaches around. They will turn him from a groundball machine into THE groundball machine. Just wait and watch.
    Except they also have some serious injury problems with their young pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    So what it comes down to: Is Rolen done? Is Stewart the real deal?
    That is the question indeed......err those are the questions rather.

Is Rolen done? Mostly would be my opinon.

Is Stewart the real deal? I have no clue, its all only speculation. I just know Gruler and Howington and Wagner were all gonna save this teams backside. Before that there were the Pughs and Ropers. Before that....well the beat goes on. Stewart may well be Toronto's next ace we just don't know.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I wouldn't. EE just can't make that throw from 3b to 1b, and I just don't think he'll ever be able to do it.
    I hate Encarnacion. I think he makes everyone else on the team worse because they know they can't trust him in the field. I think our pitchers subtly avoid giving a hitter a pitch they could take to third, because they know it's likely he'll butcher the ball. I think he's a colossally overrated hitter.

But why in the world does a 5th place team with no chance of contending in 2009 and a minimal chance of contention next year with a spendthrift owner send two good, cheap bullpen arms away for what is at best a minor upgrade at third base? Especially when there are gaping, bleeding wounds in the organization at SS, LF, CF, and starting P?

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed View Post
    At some point or time you have to take risks. Fans, of all teams, overvalue their prospects. Maybe this will turn into Larry Anderson for Bagwell but it is not likely.
    This is not comparable to the Bagwell-Anderson deal IMO. Even though trading Bagwell turned out to be a colossal mistake, the Sox still did get a valuable piece of the puzzle for a playoff push when they made the deal. This time, the Reds got piece of questionable value for a DOA playoff push.

Although I'm not a fan of what Walt gave up for Rolen, I can deal with it (at least we still have a young man named Yonder in the farm system). What concerns me more, though, is that this deal shows very little long-term planning for the franchise. Unless the Reds are prepared to add three or four more significant pieces in the coming months, it makes no sense. I'm not holding my breath.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    And 4 year deals for mid 30s relievers aren't usually done for the later years of the deal.
    Except for Scott Linebrink:

08: $4M
    09: $4.5M
    10: $5M
    11: $5.5M

This isn't about next year ... this team is trying to win now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Kc, they've been saying for a long time that they think they are a player or two away. I've felt that it was more truth than PR or lip service all along. I think this type of move indicates they believe what they're peddling. I wouldn't expect any drastic moves this offseason, rather some tinkering at the fringes, and a hope that the addition of Rolen plus better team health = contention. Frankly, I think they've made a major miscalculation.

Stormy, I respectfully disagree. The Reds aren't shelling out for Rolen to go with Nix, Gomes, and Taveras in the outfield next year. They won't add 5 major free agents, no, but there's no question that they feel ready to exchange some kids for some good veteran ballplayers and maybe to sign a serious free agent.

I fully expect them to add at least one major position player and one good pitcher this off season. And either to acquire a shortstop or to decide on Janish with offensive upgrades in other positions.

Everyone here is selling Walt Jocketty way too short. He's a solid guy, hamstrung by finances. I never thought his goal was to wait out the farm and I still don't. He will be active this winter IMO, limited only by finances and value to trade.

I think he gave up a lot of value for Rolen. But if next year the Reds are a solid team with some good proven talent along with some good kids, I'll be happy with it.

I just can't wait for 2015 or whatever for all these kids to maybe pan out. I'm happy they may be going for a good team next year.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Don't see the point on this commnet. I don't think I've seen a single transaction that the entire board has ever agreed on. If we got Hallday for Zach Stewart, there would still be teeth gnashing over taking on the salary, and what a great prospect Stewart was.

If you're trying to point out that you are somehow "cooler" than me..
    uh, no...

Just commenting that you said you were going to find examples where the board, well here, I'll let you say it again:

[quote]Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I have to leave in a few min.. when I have more time I will. [ point us to some of "this board's" posts overvaluing the Reds prospects][/b]

Nate was using "this board" as us as a whole. "This board" has never agreed on anything ever. Except that I'm awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    I hate Encarnacion.
    I hate weevils.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    What concerns me more, though, is that this deal shows very little long-term planning for the franchise. Unless the Reds are prepared to add three or four more significant pieces in the coming months, it makes no sense. I'm not holding my breath.
    The Reds have been "long-term planning" for 8 years now.
    Sometimes short term planning is better. I don't know how they could have short-term planned their infield better than they just did.

Every move is not for the long term. Guys get hurt, or become free agents in the long term.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

First reaction for me is why? What does this deal really gain us? The only thing I can take from it, and others have mentioned this, is that we are starting to position ourselves for '10 beginning now...hopefully the off-season will also consist of moves to supplement this deal....

Turn Off Ads?