Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen traded to the Reds

High five!

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

So this means that Rolen can probably use his shoes from his St. Louis or Philly days, right?

2. Turn Off Ads?

From Mark Sheldon:

Rolen
    The trade is official --- Scott Rolen and cash going from Toronto to the Reds in exchange for 3B Edwin Encarnacion, RHP Josh Roenicke and minor lg RHP Zach Stewart.

Encarnacion was pretty upset when he was told
    How much cash?
    Where we gonna go?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Whoa...by my count Stewart has started a total of 7 starts at AA or higher. Only 14 total starts in his entire career...how can you expect me to get past your 1st sentence?
    By looking at his scouting reports, crossing those facts with his stats and going hmm, that all looks right?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    In 8 years people will be writing articles about how bad of a trade this was when Zach Stewart dominates the AL.
    If it takes 8 years for Stewart to become something, then that should tell you something, no?

I'm about neutral on the deal. I don't mind giving up EE and Roenicke, I do hate seeing us have to give up Stewart. But I don't see how you can have expected to get Rolen for EE and Roenicke; in fact, I don't really see why Toronto would want EE at all, given the fact he can't play 3b and may likely look pretty severely challenged in LF if they try him there. To me the deal is essentially Stewart for Rolen. Since we've no place to play EE, Toronto is, in a way, just doing us a favor. Best construction of it for us is that it simplifies the 2010 problem. I'd argue we now have only 1 position where we have no real option for 2010--SS. Only one thing to focus on getting in the offseason, either by trade or FA. Lineup opening 2010:
    Stubbs/Heisey/Dickerson CF
    Phillips, 2b
    Votto, 1b
    Rolen, 3b
    Bruce, RF
    Frazier, LF
    To be acquired--SS
    Hanigan, C

By one year from today, possibly plug in Alonso at 1b and move Votto to LF. Now we need to talk about what SS to acquire.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Good comp. I liked the Buddy Bell years. Now it's time to find Bo Diaz.
    I was going to make a Satellite joke but.....

The Bell deal was a good deal and getting Diaz to get past the Gulden, Billardello, Knicely, Trevino garbage was well done too.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Good comp. I liked the Buddy Bell years. Now it's time to find Bo Diaz.
    Ah, me and an old girlfriend were gonna name our first kid Bo, she after Days of Our Lives, me after Bo Diaz. She named her first kid Bo, but I did not

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    By looking at his scouting reports, crossing those facts with his stats and going hmm, that all looks right?
    I'm just saying you deduced that Stewart is a better prospect than Wagner because he has had sucess at high levels as a starter. He's only had 7 starts at AA or above...give me something a little better than that. Believe me, I'm all ears but your first reasoning didn't sell it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    From Mark Sheldon:

How much cash?
    I'll give them $10 to help cover anything that's over budget.

I don't care how upset EE is, this is a good wake up call for him.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I was going to make a Satellite joke but.....
    Angelic Bo Diaz is the 3B coach on my Strat team. His advice to every player who makes it over there - "Pay for cable."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Fay's blog ... gotta love the leadership, baby ...

I asked Walt Jocketty how the Reds, who are 9 1/2 games out, could add veteran at the deadline.

"Scott Rolen makes up better for this year and next."

Jocketty also said he hopes to keep Rolen beyond 2010.

The Reds gave up a lot -- Edwin Encarnacion, Josh Roenicke and Zach Stewart. They are getting cash in the deal. I don't know how much. The Reds made the trade to do more than upgrade themselves at third base.

"The young pitching was the stumbling block," Jocketty said. "We finally gave in. We just felt that there are a lot of things that Scott will provide this club that we thought was lacking -- leadership on the field with a position player. I've had a lot of experience with him in St. Louis. I think. He will bring a lot of our club. He's still playing well. He's a good RBI guy. The guys who were in Toronto with us saw the defense he plays. He's going to be a big asset to our club.

"As I said, it was difficult to give up the young pitching. Edwin was part of it. Obviously, with Scott coming. There was a spot for Scott to play."
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I'll give them $10 to help cover anything that's over budget.

I don't care how upset EE is, this is a good wake up call for him.
    I bet Marty B. is very happy tonight. He hated EE.
    Where we gonna go?

I bet Marty B. is very happy tonight. He hated EE.
    Oh crap...GG is going to pee his pants getting an ex-Redbird.

I wonder if Brandon Phillips is aware of the lack of leadership in the position player ranks?

I wouldn't. EE just can't make that throw from 3b to 1b, and I just don't think he'll ever be able to do it.
    You're assuming that his feet were not crossed up and the ball landed in his glove.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?