Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen traded to the Reds

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Heyman says Rolen to the Reds

Not a good trade for the Reds IMO. We give up a top pitching prospect like Stewart for an old, broken-down Rolen? I know Rolen is having a good season this year, but does anyone actually expect that to continue? Does anyone think he can keep it up next year? I sure don't. The guy has had SERIOUS health problems and is already old. He has a bad back which has killed most of his power.

I would have loved getting Rolen (due mostly to his D and somewhat because of his ability to give good at-bats) for Roenicke, Encarnacion and almost anyone except Stewart. Putting Stewart in the deal was too much! I would feel different if Rolen was just approaching 30, but he's well over 30. We are basically trading a top pitching prospect for one year of an aging Scott Rolen (2010 since this year is already a wash).

Jocketty finally wakes up and this is what he gives us???

2. Turn Off Ads?

4:26pm: The Jays will pay some of the $4MM Rolen makes between now and the end of the season, according to Jeff Blair of the Globe and Mail.

4:25pm: MLB.com's Jordan Bastian reports that Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi says Rolen asked to be traded for "personal reasons."

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Im headin to your house now, I'll be there in 5!

Come on over! I just passed your house on the way to Bernies to get beer! :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

After having cooled off a bit and trying to think about this rationally, I've come to the following conclusion:

-If Rolen stays healthy the rest of this season and 2010
    -If there are more moves to come (via trade or FA) before the beginning of the 2010 season

If both of those things happen, then I'm ok w/ the trade. Yes I really think that Stewart was too much to give up, but the defense immediately has a serious upgrade and it's an improvement offensively. But this simply can't be the only move, looking towards the 2010 season. It's obvious that this year is lost, but if this team follows this up with other improvements looking towards 2010 (whether in August or the offseason), then this makes sense.

I definitely am curious to watch what happens. I just pray that Walt and the FO has a plan and aren't just willy-nillying this thing. I think that's all we can all hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    I, for one, am excited about watching a third basemen that can actually play third base.

For a few games anyway.

Terrible trade, no other way to spin it. Hope Walt gets lucky and picks a future HOF late in the draft again because siging FA's and trading isn't going real well.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post

Totally weak. Let's build around a guy in his mid-thirties with a bad back.
    They're not building around him.

Even at 35, he's still an upgrade over Edwin, and he's batting .320. He may not have the power he once has, but he's still a hitter...this team could learn a lot from watching this guy's approach.

The injury proneness (word? Yes? No?) is a bit of a concern though

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    After having cooled off a bit and trying to think about this rationally, I've come to the following conclusion:
    Translation: After trying to convince myself I like the trade for my own health, here is what I've come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I know I'm 30 pages late to the party but while I like Rolen and don't mind an EE-Rolen swap, I can't believe we had to give up Roenicke and Stewart as well.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

Come on over! I just passed your house on the way to Bernies to get beer! :
    Ha I'm actually headed to the Y to take some anger out on some weight machines. And I live right across from the pool now.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

THT ranks Rolen as the #2 defensive third baseman in MLB this season. He has been in the top 3 for several years.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Zach Stewart, Josh Roenicke, and Edwin Encarnacion for Scott Rolen? LOL! LOL! LOL! That is hilarious. Walt Jocketty is easily the worst GM the Reds have had in my lifetime. Yep, even worse than Dan O'Brien. Awful, awful trade. Please fire Jocketty soon or I'm considering dropping the Reds.

Just wait until OBM gets here...he'll calm the board down.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    THT ranks Rolen as the #2 defensive third baseman in MLB this season. He has been in the top 3 for several years.
    Rolen's a Hall of Famer already, IMO, and his defense throughout his career is arguably greater than that of Brooks Robinson or Mike Schmidt.

What's so perplexing about this deal - other than what the Reds gave up, which is highly perplexing itself - is it's a type of deal that needs to be made in conjunction with several other significant deals. Sure, we can assume/hope that Rolen will be healthy in 2010 and that the third base problem is solved, but the team still needs additional pitching, it needs a left fielder and it badly needs both a shortstop and a center fielder. Many of these same holes existed this past offseason, and what we got was a big ol' helping of Willy Taveras. It's stupidity such as that which gives me heartburn.

If those needs aren't also addressed by next April, then acquiring Scott Rolen for 2010 was pointless.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Just wait until OBM gets here...he'll calm the board down.
    sorry we're boring

If you read Fay's blog, it appears that Walt had real concerns over giving up Roenicke and Stewart but finally decided to go for it.
    "The young pitching was the stumbling block," Jocketty said. "We finally gave in. We just felt that there are a lot of things that Scott will provide this club that we thought was lacking -- leadership on the field with a position player. I've had a lot of experience with him in St. Louis. I think. He will bring a lot of our club. He's still playing well. He's a good RBI guy. The guys who were in Toronto with us saw the defense he plays. He's going to be a big asset to our club.

"As I said, it was difficult to give up the young pitching. Edwin was part of it. Obviously, with Scott coming. There was a spot for Scott to play."

Hopefully Rolen will get to Cincy by Saturday's game because tonight's lineup is extremely thin--if they go 10, Bronson will be in CF batting cleanup.
    Where we gonna go?

Turn Off Ads?